Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar lenses and Tamron 180/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Comparing Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar lenses and Tamron 180/2.5 Reply with quote

Here are a few shots that I took today to compare the two Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar lenses with the Tamron SP 180/2.5. Of course, these are straight from the camera, only resized with no sharpening or local contrast enhancement. The Tamron has internal focusing, so the focal length varies when focusing. At close range, the focal length of the lens diminues sensibly, as you can see on the following pictures (pictures for the three lenses were taken from the same point):

Voigtländer 125/2.5 at f/2.5

Tamron SP 180/2.5 at f/2.5

Voigtländer 125/2.5 at f/5.6

Tamron SP 180/2.5 at f/5.6

Voigtländer 180/4 at f/5.6

Voigtländer 125/2.5 at f/5.6

Tamron SP 180/2.5 at f/5.6

Voigtländer 180/4 at f/5.6

All three lenses have a very similar rendering with good contrast, nice bokeh and very high resolution over the whole frame, even wide open.

Then, I shot a white mosquito net to try to force the lenses to exhibit some chromatic aberrations. The Tamron lens is the worse in this regard (quite a lot of yellow/blue fringing at f/2.5), the Voigländer 125/2.5 is better (at f/2.5) and the 180/4 is perfect with no trace of aberrations (at f/4.0). Here's the upper left corner of the frame for the three lenses:

Voigtländer 180/4 at f/4.0

And now, let's go for the chromatic aberration torture test. A crumpled ball of aluminum foil brightly lit is the best mean to force a lens to produce some purple fringing when used on a digital camera. This time again, the Voigtländer 180/4 is totally free from purple fringing, the 125/2.5 coming next and the Tamron last. Here are the pictures:

Voigtländer 180/4 at f/4.0

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is really not much possibility of arguing there: the Voigtlaender lens performance is clearly superior especially for the absence of optical defekts.
Of course as always with lenses there is the individual factor so one person may still prefer the Tamron which seems to me to give a more "film-like" output.
I have to say that I am impressed by the resolving power of the Voigtlaender lens. I think that the Tamron shows higher contrast, while the Voigtlaender resolves much more detail - and for this characteristic, it is better suited for today's digital cameras.

Frankly, I am in awe in front of these Voigtlaenders.

-