Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Clubman/Ensinor confusion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Clubman/Ensinor confusion Reply with quote

There has been a bit of confusion regarding the well-regarded 28mm lens that is found with the Clubman and Ensinor brands and performs better than the great majority of third party alternatives.

To be clear, this is the lens that we are talking about. Manufacturer is most likely Toyo as this lens is also seen with the TOU/Five Star branding. Other brands I have seen on this lens include Saitex and Sicor.

Key identifying features of this lens:

Four evenly spaced retaining screws on the mount
    Two letter code denoting the mount type on the aperture ring (OM, PK etc)
    'Macro 1:5' text in sky blue at the closest focus position
    Metre distance markings in distinctive bright orange/red
    Even-sided solid green diamond on the focus scale
    Serial number prefixed by the letter L
    'Japan' text on side of barrel rather than 'made in Japan'

There is also a 24mm version which is virtually identical and shares all of the listed identifying features. Another Clubman/Ensinor lens made by this supplier is the 4.5-5.5/80-200 zoom.

Clubman/Ensinor used at least three other lens suppliers, commonly seen are lenses with a K prefix to the serial, those are probably made by Ozone. Kobori definitely supplied some as there are some Clubman/Ensinor zooms that are identical to Kobori models.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my Tefnon / Clubman lenses. The two Tefnon are from the same manufacturer, I'm not so sure the two Clubman are from a common manufacturer though. And I don't think either Clubman comes from the same manufacturer as the Tefnon lenses. Maybe the Clubman 28 shares the same front style as the two Tefnon?

Only one lens has equally spaced screws holding the back on, the Clubman 24. All the other lenses are unequally spaced.

Of course, some of these variations can be the age of the lens as well as the mount.

I took the two Tefnon's out today and tried them, and they are good lenses. I'll process some pictures and post them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Thanks for the pictures, they add some good info.

Your Clubman with the L serial is the one in my post, probably made by Toyo. As we know, it's a good lens.

Your Clubman with the K serial is made by Ozone, the 28mm version is very common under a lot of brands.

The two Tefnons are probably made by Kobori. I am interested to know how these perform as the two Kobori zooms I have are really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tefnon 28 performs well, but I got the better results from the Clubman 24, but I think that was my skills to a degree, and I haven't used the lens before. I took these two lenses out because they are both Canon FD mount. I shall set the camera on a tripod when I can and compare them.

CLUBMAN 24 / 2.8

TEFNON 28 / 2.8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Dave, that 24 is better than the Ozone reputation would lead one to believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid identification job there as well testing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent identification thread, thanks!!

My Promaster starts with a 'K'. Goes to confirm its source.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that K denotes Ozone.

Here is another K serial lens made by Ozone but with Kalimar branding:

And here is an Ozone made zoom, again with K serial in the Super Paragon branding.

However, this doesn't mean all Super Paragons are made by Ozone, they definitely used a number of suppliers for the Super Paragon brand, there are some Cimko made ones and possibly other makes too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I believe that K denotes Ozone.

Here is another K serial lens made by Ozone but with Kalimar branding:

Could the above be a Samyang lens? It is looking identical to those cheap Korean 28mm Revuenons.

This is how supposedly Ozone lenses (24mm) looks bellow:
kido wrote:

You can compare with PORST X Fujica lenses 28mm that are the same style:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Starblitz 28mm and 24mm Reply with quote

My Starblitz 28 and 24. Took the 28 pictures with the 24 and the 24 pictures with the 28. Smile I like and use them both a lot. Smile

Last edited by mfkid on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm should be Toyo and 24mm the Ozone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
28mm should be Toyo and 24mm the Ozone.

+1

The one I posted with the K serial is clearly intended to be a copy of the Ozone, so I suspect it is a Korean made lens. What I expect happened is that Ozone either stopped production and the sellers instead went to Korea or they went to Korea to supplement Ozone's production.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tried the Clubman 28 / 2.8 Macro, another lens I rarely use as it is Olympus OM mount and I have a Zuiko 28 2.8 that I tend to choose when I'm using Oly' lenses.
And once again I'm very happy with the results, It's just a very nice, capable, lens. All these pictures are unprocessed except for sizing. Shot as JPEG at ISO100.

Shot at f4. ( not my house, it's a friends Wink )

f2.8

f2.8 I think....maybe f4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice performance from the Clubman.

SIGH! My Tou/Five Star branded 28 arrived today. But it's defective. Aperture jammed and won't turn past 5.6. And the FD mount won't rotate back to the release position.
Too bad.
That's two for two...Toyo and Ozone. No luck, I think it's a sign to stop buying more 28s and 24s. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking my Clubman 28mm and finding it to be a K prefix lens I bid successfully on two L prefix 28mm lenses , a tou + clubman, for under £11 the pair delivered.
I am asking if the 24mm L prefix lenses are better regarded than the K ones ? They seem to be much less common.
Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the confusion, the thread goes to establish 'L' signified Toyo Optics as the source, parent company to TOU/Five Star. (as mentioned in the Five Star MC 28mm f/2.8 thread)

But while on ebay, came across this TOU/Five Star (zoom) lens with a 'K' serial #. Can we still assume K is Ozone Optical?
Why would Toyo not make their own lens if we are to maintain the K meaning?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking they farmed out their zooms ? This cap was on my tou/fivestar 200mm/4.5 prime and it has no l or k in the number.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would need to see more details of the lens than the serial prefix to work out who made t. I also suspect more than one manufacturer.