Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

cleaning SLR mirrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: cleaning SLR mirrors Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I picked up a Yashica FX-D film SLR at a flea market.

The light seals have mostly disintegrated, and there's a lot of black gunk on the mirror.

On the bright side the focusing screen seems fine, and cleaning the gunk out the back compartment where the film goes was easy.

Amazingly the battery still works, the meter seems to work, i.e. changes values as I point at bright/dim things etc. The shutter speed seems to work as well.

So it looks promising, I'd like to clean the old girl up and give her a try. My local camera shop doesn't bother with repairs anymore, they ship everything to a repair shop in a nearby city.

question 1 - where to order new light seal material, preferably in Canada to simplify shipping etc.?

question 2 - Google tells me some people advise not even attempting to clean SLR mirrors, you're as likely to remove the coatings as the dirt. Do you folks agree? I could probably live with specs in the viewfinder, but I don't want crud falling onto the film or the back of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light seal available on Ebay, I don't know other source
I do clean mirror with same tools what I use on lenses with success.