Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon Auto M42 50mm 1.7 - M42 pin
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Chinon Auto M42 50mm 1.7 - M42 pin Reply with quote

Hello. I just came accross this great little gem. I am trying to use it on a K mount (I have a M42 to K mount adapter). I include a pic of it, since on my research, much is stated about the multi-coated version, but not about this one.

Now, my questions is - how can I convert the m42 pin into a manual - basically, how can I engage the M42 pin, so that I can use the lens other than wide open.

I know and seen a how-to with the Helios (a little piece of plastic from an electrical cable so that the pin gets stuck in engaged mode) - however, this beauty of a lens does not have any screws in the back (see 3rd pic) in order for me to reach the pin.

The lens has the smallest screws ever on the side, by the aperture ring (see 4th pic, below and to the left of the "2") - however, there is one of the screws that will not come out, it is stripped... so that way i not an option.

Any thoughts? This lens is a surprise for me, it is so darn sharp wide open (see remainder pics of my A 50/1.4), I cannot wait to try it stopped down a bit.

Thanks!
Pic 1 and 2 - the Chinon Auto M42 50mm 1.7

Pic 3 back view - next to it, my m42 to k adapter

Pic 4 tiny screw

Remainder pics - taken with the Chinon wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would do best with an adapter that has a flange on it so that the pin depresses when you screw the lens on.
If you are using a mirrorless camera, most adapters come with a flange built in.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You would do best with an adapter that has a flange on it so that the pin depresses when you screw the lens on.
If you are using a mirrorless camera, most adapters come with a flange built in.
Tom

I'm on a dslr - k-50... Sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a flanged adapter for Pentax - I have a couple.
There is one on US ebay now for $25 which is expensive I think.

search for m42 pk flange adapter

And the Kipon (expensive) adapters are usually flanged.

Look for m42 pk kipon adapter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Look for m42 pk kipon adapter

Thank you - yes, I see a few at $24-$35 range... Now, my question is, do these allow infinity focus? I see that issue being raised. Do you have any experience with these?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Bower ABSPK adapter (flanged) for $16.00 from Amazon - will take off the screw and spring lever (as i do with all my m42 adapters) and take it from there...

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flange you want is on the inside, to press the pin, not the outside.

For infinity focus you do not want the kind with an external flange. Those add about 1mm to back focus. The use of these is mainly for thinks like bellows or extension rings where it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

You lost me here - I reckon that I want the flange to press on the m42 pin, yes.

Now, does the Kipon adapter (flanged) qualifies as an inside flange or outside? (The Bower ABSPK I ordered is basically a copy of the kipon).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

For infinity focus you do not want the kind with an external flange. Those add about 1mm to back focus. The use of these is mainly for thinks like bellows or extension rings where it doesn't matter.

The Bower ABSPK I ordered had to be returned. Didn't even have a flange...ñikely gonna have to do fotodiox afterall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edom31 wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

The Bower ABSPK I ordered had to be returned. Didn't even have a flange...ñikely gonna have to do fotodiox afterall

This is the kind that you need for M42 to Pentax K - note the inside flange that will depress the pin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you Edom?
I have one that is second hand if you are interested.
Not a Kipon but another.
Might be cheaper than the Kipon as well
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently faced the same situation with my K100D and some of my M42 lenses. The Kipon-adapter posted by others works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Where are you Edom?
Not a Kipon but another.
Tom

I'm in New York, Tom... half way around the world it seems from you. Thanks though, but likely shipping would kill the deal Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edom31 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Where are you Edom?
Not a Kipon but another.
Tom

I'm in New York, Tom... half way around the world it seems from you. Thanks though, but likely shipping would kill the deal Wink

Yes, most likely.
No matter - you know which one to look for though.
Good luck
Tom