Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap portrait lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
very nice portrait Laurence, no need of sharpening

Thank you, poilu!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry

Whoever said that your father-in-law's portrait was the best seen on this forum did not over state the accolade. A very moving picture and one to treasure.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Larry superb.

I'm not much of portrait photographer, but I took a few of my father-in-law recently and ended up using the Nikkor-P 135/3.5 that I bought from Attila (and led me to this dangerous forum). The length seemed to work well for an outside portrait whilst he was working on his allotmentl. I suppose my new avatar is a portrait of sorts - you can see the lens used! Generally though with the 1.5x crop on my DSLR I'd probably use 50mm -85mm inside 85mm - 100mm outside.

For those that like 135mm for portraits the Nikkor 135/2.8 would work if you prefer a contrastier lens to the 135/3.5, and I don't think anyone has suggested the Tamron/2.5.

50mm wise there are too many under this price barrier to list.

85mm wise I haven't tried it, but the Nikkor 85mm f2 can regularly be found for under this price level.

If I wanted to empasise facial details rather than go for a softer look I'd give my 105/4 micro-nikkor a go which I paid a lucky ?50ish for, although it tends to be dearer. I know some people use the Tamron 90mm Sp macro lens as a portrait lens...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
LucisPictor! Thank you! Hope you find a few snaps from the Weltblick.

Here you go: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,36051.html#36051

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:
But if you use this shorter length doesn't it make noses look larger?

You must tell your subjects that the wider the lens, the younger they will appear. See then how everybody will ask to be photographed with the Zenitar!!! Laughing Razz

Or with a Peleng (Ok, this shot was too dark and not focused):

http://flor27.free.fr/forums/peleng_8_3.5/_5D/IMG_5731.cr5d4.jpg

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:
But if you use this shorter length doesn't it make noses look larger?

You must tell your subjects that the wider the lens, the younger they will appear. See then how everybody will ask to be photographed with the Zenitar!!! Laughing Razz

Or with a Peleng (Ok, this shot was too dark and not focused):

http://flor27.free.fr/forums/peleng_8_3.5/_5D/IMG_5731.cr5d4.jpg
Laughing

Quite an exaggeration! In its own way though, I like the effect! Laughing