Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Cheap, noisy, rough, crude; above all, cheap !"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: "Cheap, noisy, rough, crude; above all, cheap !" Reply with quote

A few days ago I got an unsolicited email from a 'friend photographer' containing these words :
"Cheap, noisy, rough, crude; above all, cheap !"
He felt the need to share his expertise about a lens I am using. No, is not about one of my Takumars, where I could be really subjective ( see my signature and LBA)
It's about Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm 1.8, 8 blades version.

It made me stop for a moment and think what I'm doing wrong.
Obviously I got a cheap lens and you can't take good pictures using that!
Yes, I need a real Carl Zeiss lens, or Leica ?
Is $2000 is a minimum required to spend for a lens so people don't laugh at you outside? or even online???

Do we really need an expensive lens to take a good picture?

This made me mount my cheap, rough, crude, noisy lens on a Canon T3i and go outside and shoot ! Lucky me I didn't meet any soccer mom or grandma with some PRO Canon ( Nikon) body and L series lens. So I start USING the lens I had in my hands. I wanted to know if I can make a decent photograph. What I am looking for? Sharpness, colour rendition, bokeh, etc.? No, I was just observing nature around me and shooting what I can see.

This is how I recorded two moments :
2 pictures using Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm 1.8 ( 8 blades). If you are like me and see anything you might like ( sharpness, colours, bokeh, etc) it is just an accident because we all know you need an expensive lens to take good pictures !

Have a good day, enjoy your cheap lenses ( but don't blame me for late night online shopping ).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24mp FF Sony a850 and have tried at least 50 lenses on it. In the top 5 is my Pancolar MC 1.8/50, it absolutes beats the pants of all of my expensive modern AF zoom lenses in sharpness, macro contrast, micro contrast, character and a few other parameters.

In short, a good old prime lens is still more than equal to the task of matching a modern high density sensor.

I like your shots, they show the quality of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replay back and also add "radioactive"! Laughing
(8-blade zebra right? which serial?)

Btw, the images are fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
You can replay back and also add "radioactive"! Laughing
(8-blade zebra right? which serial?)

Btw, the images are fantastic!

Maybe that's why my hands glow green in the dark? My wife is telling me to use those lead gloves....hahahhaaha

Yes, very radioactive LOL, half of my Takumars are radioactive too !

Serial No 805xxxx

thanks for your comment

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a 24mp FF Sony a850 and have tried at least 50 lenses on it. In the top 5 is my Pancolar MC 1.8/50, it absolutes beats the pants of all of my expensive modern AF zoom lenses in sharpness, macro contrast, micro contrast, character and a few other parameters.

In short, a good old prime lens is still more than equal to the task of matching a modern high density sensor.

I like your shots, they show the quality of the lens.

I never had the time to test it against modern canon 50mm but I did with Super Tak 50mm 1.4.
I love Takumar, is hard to admit but ....Pancolar has something different, I don't know what.
For sure has warmer colours.

Thanks for your comment. So is not only me seeing a beautiful lens. I almost went to check my eyes Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

I had Faved your photo on flickr earlier today as it simply grabbed my attention. Lovely image and results. This is before discovering your thread right now.

I love discovering bargain lenses that perform and/or have something truly special. I usually zone out people who regurgitate, "you got to buy this, or that....it's the best, it cost me xxxxx.xx." There are many excellent lenses out there, and best/latest lens is not going to produce a great photo if the photographer is a clueless hack. It will always be more about the photographer than the glass.

Euro class snobbery will always exist.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pancolar is an excellent 50, very sharp, good bokeh, good color rendition and great close focus capacity. It is a lens I have never been tempted to sell.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice picture for sure.
Pancolar 50/1,8 actually not so cheap, unless you got it bargain deal.
Many other cheaper SLR lenses around. including enlarger lenses, projector lenses etc.
Quote:
it is just an accident because we all know you need an expensive lens to take good pictures !

I must say, I do not agree with it. any 50/2 lens can do good picture, technique is more important. Cheers..

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant photos -- but what Iaza said. On this side of the pond, Pancolors are rare. I just took a quick look on eBay. Three Pancolor 50mm f/2s, not 1.8s, are listed right now, all of them for right about $200. One f/1.8 from the UK for $122.

Now, you may call that cheap, but I sure as hell don't. One of my sharpest 50m lenses is a Yashica DX 50/1.7 in M42 that I paid a whopping $10 for. I'll bet my 55mm f/1.8 SMC Talkumars are just as sharp and cost me next to nothing compared to those eBay prices. I probably have at least a dozen lenses in the 50-58mm range, and all are excellent. Probably on par with that Pancolor. There is one I own that might be worth what those are selling for, and that would be my Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC. Actually it's worth quite a bit more. But that's ok, I have the FL version as well, and it would probably sell for around $200. But I ain't selling it.

Be all that as it may, I agree with the gist of the argument. Substitute a cheap but good and commonly found lens over here in the States for the Pancolor -- say an old Super Tak 50mm f/1.8 or even f/2 -- and you'd have the same exact situation. The Leica snobs and L and ED snobs would look down, or at least askance, at such lowly offerings. I've seen it. Hell, I've experienced it! But let 'em be -- until they see the results. And then an appropriate jab or two might be in order. Proof is in the pudding and all that, ain't it? Cool

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
That's nice picture for sure.
Pancolar 50/1,8 actually not so cheap, unless you got it bargain deal.
Many other cheaper SLR lenses around. including enlarger lenses, projector lenses etc.
Quote:
it is just an accident because we all know you need an expensive lens to take good pictures !

I must say, I do not agree with it. any 50/2 lens can do good picture, technique is more important. Cheers..

Sorry you got me wrong, I was just being sarcastic " we all know you need an expensive lens to take good picture ". Of course the technique is more important!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Brilliant photos -- but what Iaza said. On this side of the pond, Pancolors are rare. I just took a quick look on eBay. Three Pancolor 50mm f/2s, not 1.8s, are listed right now, all of them for right about $200. One f/1.8 from the UK for $122.

Now, you may call that cheap, but I sure as hell don't. One of my sharpest 50m lenses is a Yashica DX 50/1.7 in M42 that I paid a whopping $10 for. I'll bet my 55mm f/1.8 SMC Talkumars are just as sharp and cost me next to nothing compared to those eBay prices. I probably have at least a dozen lenses in the 50-58mm range, and all are excellent. Probably on par with that Pancolor. There is one I own that might be worth what those are selling for, and that would be my Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC. Actually it's worth quite a bit more. But that's ok, I have the FL version as well, and it would probably sell for around $200. But I ain't selling it.

Be all that as it may, I agree with the gist of the argument. Substitute a cheap but good and commonly found lens over here in the States for the Pancolor -- say an old Super Tak 50mm f/1.8 or even f/2 -- and you'd have the same exact situation. The Leica snobs and L and ED snobs would look down, or at least askance, at such lowly offerings. I've seen it. Hell, I've experienced it! But let 'em be -- until they see the results. And then an appropriate jab or two might be in order. Proof is in the pudding and all that, ain't it? Cool

Thank you for your comment. I'm happy you like them.
As you can see in my signature I'm a Takumar guy and I can tell for sure that an old Super Tak 50 f2 is one of the sharpest and most amazing lens in 50mm range. And nobody pays attention to this lens and nobody pays money for it. Everybody is assuming f2 slow, cheap >bad. They are so wrong. Like you said....Leica,L , etc guys would laugh at you and maybe would try to explain that street photography has just one name: Leica Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar lenses fetch around 100 euros in the Netherlands as well. Not an amount anybody would "just spend" on an old piece of glass....

Canon EF 1.8/50 (yes it's an AF lens) is also well known for it's performance (the plastic fantastic) and goes second hand for around 65 euros. Sure the old Pancolar has more character, but the average photographer would choose this one above the manual antique!
And that is good, if they'd all want a Pancolar prices would even go up more!

If you want really, really, dirt-cheap, peanuts-money glass that performs: Pentacon 1.8/50! Mass-produced, can be had for 2-5 euros at thrift stores or fleamarkets, there's always an old Praktica around somewhere with a Pentacon on it.....
I must say though: they do suffer some copy-variation.

Check some of my samples with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/sets/72157630432051760

Here's a straight out of camera JPG with my Jena Pancolar zebra 8-blade copy:
Rose by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another gorgeously colored and detailed photo!
A 500 to 1000 Euro/Dollar lens isn't going to do much better.

I love my Takumars too, and have to concur about Yashica. Since discovering Yashinon DS and DX, they are excellent and affordable, and began a quest for more Tomioka gems. They've yielded some very satisfying images. Great Japanese alternatives to Nikkor.

As pointed out even old CZJ glasss is pricey hear. Only found a telephoto for LTM for a bargain recently. Russian lenses are my next destination.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolars are simply outstanding and while technique is always a winner, technique with a Pancolar is a joy.
I think that this lens has well and truly been "discovered" and often goes for silly money.
On the other hand some do not attract the same attention and can be found for not much money if the buyer is patient - particularly the f2 which is wonderful.
Thanks for sharing these lovely images
OH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should not forget that those lenses are mechanically far below "western" standards. Though some of them are superior in terms of optical quality, the aperture and the focusing mechanism may be crap or even nor working. I am already fed up of GDR lenses and would not pay much more than 10 Euro per lens. So it's more or less a matter of luck if you get a lens which is fully in order and remains in such condition for more than a few months. At least that is my (unlucky) experience. I would never ever pay the usual "market-prices" like on Ebay for such lenses.
Just my 2 Cents.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
Thank you for your comment. I'm happy you like them.
As you can see in my signature I'm a Takumar guy and I can tell for sure that an old Super Tak 50 f2 is one of the sharpest and most amazing lens in 50mm range. And nobody pays attention to this lens and nobody pays money for it. Everybody is assuming f2 slow, cheap >bad. They are so wrong. Like you said....Leica,L , etc guys would laugh at you and maybe would try to explain that street photography has just one name: Leica Smile

Yeah, it's ironic, isn't it. Those Leica guys hold their Sumicrons in such high regard -- yet what is it? A 50mm f/2. And what's so special about that? Honestly, to me it's just the name. And the f/2 Taks aren't the only great f/2 lenses you know. The old pre-AI Nikkor 50/2 is a legendary lens. More press photographers have probably taken more award-winning photos with that lens than any other. I also own a 50/2 Minolta -- another excellent optic. So, there ya go.

Personally, I think such behavior is downright comical. It's not just limited to photography, ya know. I ride motorcycles, and some of the worst snobs on two wheels are Harley riders. Here in the States, bikers will wave at each other as they pass by. But many of the Harley folks who are all bedecked out in their Motor Company apparel won't wave back -- unless you're similarly dressed. Me, I wave at everybody. Heck, I even wave at people on scooters. Shocked Rolling Eyes Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Summicron-R 2/50 for a while and I agree with Michael - it's nothing special.

A quick list of lenses I felt were the Summi's equal:

Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58
Konica Hexanon 1.7/50
Minolta MD 1.7/50
Olympus Zuiko MC 1.8/50
Carl Zeiss Jena MC Pancolar 1.8/50
Zenitar M2S 2/50
Petri 1.8/55
EBC Fujinon 1.8/55
Rollei Planar HFT 1.8/50

Also, the better made of these lenses such as the Topcor and Hexanon felt every bit as well built as the Summi.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had a Summicron-R 2/50 for a while and I agree with Michael - it's nothing special.

A quick list of lenses I felt were the Summi's equal:

Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58
Konica Hexanon 1.7/50
Minolta MD 1.7/50
Olympus Zuiko MC 1.8/50
Carl Zeiss Jena MC Pancolar 1.8/50
Zenitar M2S 2/50
Petri 1.8/55
EBC Fujinon 1.8/55
Rollei Planar HFT 1.8/50

Also, the better made of these lenses such as the Topcor and Hexanon felt every bit as well built as the Summi.

I am more or less with you. However, I have to state, that at least from my experience there are some differences in built quality. I have already 3 defective Topcors (stuck aperture blades) and besides one (like new) lens from GDR all others are defective. Somehow funny is that my Russian lenses are all working without troubles, although there are also quite old ones in my collection.
I never had any troubles with my Minolta, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax and Leica lenses of comparable age and use. Even my 2 old Tokina lenses work perfectly until now. Also my few very old Zeiss lenses (pre-war) are working like new but due to their age they cannot match the optical quality of the other lenses mentioned before.
I don't have anything from Olympus, Petri or Rollei, nor from Canon.
I think everybody has some slightly different experiences with old lenses. For me personally the GDR ones are the worst in terms of built quality. And no, I don't consider Leica as something special. These lenses are comparable to western Zeiss lenses heavily overpriced and not even optically very much different.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My topcor 1.858 is getting a sticky iris, it's oil on the blades. One day I'll open it and clean the oil off. It's hardly unusual, my Minolta AF 1.7/50 has the same issue, as does my Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 HFT.

I agree about the GDR lenses, but some are definitely better than others. The late Zeiss production in B mount tends to be pretty resilient, I think a large part of the issue with 60s and 70s GDR lenses is the lubricant used - over time it breaks down resulting in stiff focus and sticky irises.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
My topcor 1.858 is getting a sticky iris, it's oil on the blades. One day I'll open it and clean the oil off. It's hardly unusual, my Minolta AF 1.7/50 has the same issue, as does my Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 HFT.

I agree about the GDR lenses, but some are definitely better than others. The late Zeiss production in B mount tends to be pretty resilient, I think a large part of the issue with 60s and 70s GDR lenses is the lubricant used - over time it breaks down resulting in stiff focus and sticky irises.

Obviously I am not skilled enough to do it myself. I have already one Topcor 58mm/1.8 in parts and I am unable to fit it together again. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who would be able to assemble it again for a reasonable price here in Austria. Therefore it may be better to forget any CLA activities and concentrate on usable equipment. Never had anything like this with Minolta.
You may be right, that the lubricant is the cause for the troubles with the GDR lenses. However, as stated, it would be far too expensive to have them professionally repaired. It's more reasonable to buy a new (used) lens and avoid the GDR ones. Luckily I don't have a Zeiss Planar. B-mount is less attractive for me, as the adapters for my cameras are a problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading some comments and I think I should add:

First, when the word ' cheap' is used I don't feel it was about the value of this particular lens, was more of way to snob and I'm pretty sure that was the intent.
Yes, we can discuss here the $ value, for some people is too much, but that's the market now. Maybe lots of people start discovering it and loving it.

I never mentioned anything about this lens (mechanical and optical or price I paid). I just wanted to show the images I took with this lens, without words, just pure results.

tb_a ( Thomas Bernardy ) said Eastern Germany lenses are " mechanically far below "western" standards".
I can't talk about other lenses, but I know about this Pancolar because I repaired it ! I know this lens from A to Z, every single screw and element was removed, cleaned, and put back together. Including the helicoid !
I was not an expert in repairing lenses so believe me it was lots of sweating in the process ( specially the helicoid OMG).

So...I have to admit, mechanically is... not the best ( to say it nicely).... You can't compare it even to old Takumars.
But, optically it shines ! At least for me.

In the end, what is important for you? mechanical, optical qualities or price? or all of them?

For me... I can hold a piece of cellophane in front of my sensor and if that one gives me good results, that's my ' expensive' lens Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Well sometimes it is difficult not to be upset by a troll. However when i read in his message confirmation that he has no clue (how can a lens be noisy?) i usually close the case and move on. Life is too short.

Make the pictures that make you happy, with the tools that help you express your creativity.

totally agree Very Happy
noisy?? funny, he listens when rotates focus ring? or he never touch it and was thinking is auto focus??

anyway...I have to thank him in the end ! Without him I would not have those shots yesterday !
Very Happy Maybe sometimes I need a kick in the back... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucius wrote:

So...I have to admit, mechanically is... not the best ( to say it nicely).... You can't compare it even to old Takumars.
But, optically it shines ! At least for me.

In the end, what is important for you? mechanical, optical qualities or price? or all of them?

For me... I can hold a piece of cellophane in front of my sensor and if that one gives me good results, that's my ' expensive' lens Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can't care less what others may think about the equipment I am using. I like also my Russian lenses and use them successfully. So I am also using lenses that others may consider as "cheap crap". As long as the pictures I can make with such an equipment are suiting my needs I am 100% satisfied.
However, out of negative experiences I am avoiding certain brands and also for explained reasons the GDR lenses as I am not able to repair them myself. Luckily I don't miss anything as I have other "cheap" lenses which deliver excellent pictures without necessary CLA activities to keep them alive. Furthermore I am at least trying to limit the additional purchase of new old lenses and my personal "black list" is rather helpful in this respect. Wink
If somebody believes that a good picture requires an expensive lens, then this person has obviously no idea about photography. Finally the personal taste and the desired presentation size plays also a very important role for the required type of lens.
BTW, photography and the collection of cameras and lenses is just a hobby for me and is supposed to make fun instead of troubles. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that we're all pretty much in agreement on at least one thing: we use the lenses we want to use because we like the way they behave. Period. Whether expensive or not doesn't matter. Results matter.

Regarding bernhadas's question as to how can a lens be noisy, well I guess I'd have to state it's all a matter of degree. I have a lens I perceive to be noisy -- and a bit on the rough side as well. It's a Tamron 60-300 and when I rotate the zoom collar to focus it, I've always heard a mild grinding noise. And I could feel it as well. I've had 60-300s apart before, so I decided to dismantle the lens and see if I could find the source of the grinding. And you know what? I had the lens disassembled to its smallest component parts and I couldn't find any obvious source for the noise and roughness. I was expecting to find sand in the helical, but it was perfectly clean. But anyway, as long as I had it apart, I completely cleaned the lens and relubed it, and then reassembled it. And guess what? The grinding was still there. So, frustrated, I just surrendered to the possibility that some lenses are just born noisy.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat May 30, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total