Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap but half decent M42 adapters, any sources?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Cheap but half decent M42 adapters, any sources? Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

Long time no see!

I've been getting back into photography a bit recently, and obviously that includes mf lenses!

Just a quick enquiry regarding m42 - Canon eos adapters.

A few years ago, when I was still quite active in the hobby, I just used to buy the cheapest adapters I could find on ebay/aliexpress, and they were usually fine for my use, and cheap enough that I could just buy one for each lens to save having to take adapters on and off.

But I recently tried buying some from a few different vendors and it seems like at some point over the years, the tooling has somehow been messed up so that the lens markings are always off centre, usually by 90 degrees or more!

I guess they haven't realised, or simply don't care, that they are pumping out 0000s of adapters with the thread not in the correct alignment of the markings to be in the correct place. Obviously it doesn't affect the functionality of the lenses, but it's really annoying!

It's also annoying because I used to be able to buy in bulk and pay about 50p each, and I'm a cheapskate!

So anyway, long story short, does anyone know any other cheap options which actually have the thread in the correct orientation?

I recently tried some of these adjustable ones which worked out about £2.50 each. Pretty nice quality and the adjustability takes care of the lens marking issue.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004077522082.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.3.76af22b704DJfb&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21GBP%21%EF%BF%A12.24%21%EF%BF%A11.98%21%21%21%21%21%40211b88f116723130626238438e51d6%2112000027964839477%21sh

Only problem is the last two times I've tried to order some, the sellers have said they have had a bad batch and can't send them out Rolling Eyes

I also ordered some of these, as they seem a little bit better quality than the cheapo ones, so I'm hoping they have the screw thread in the correct orientation. The black version without chip can be had for around £1.90

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828446867.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.5c051802Qt2fvT

Anyone know of any other cheap but decent options? Or a source for the bog standard ones but with the thread machined correctly?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally not bothered by the lenses not being aligned right, though I suppose there will be lenses with rectangular baffles where it might matter (at least on FF).

I have quite a wide variety of M42 adapters to different mounts, but EF is the most common (even though I don't have an EF body). Only one of my adapters is adjustable for lens rotation.

FWIW I have noticed the prices rising steadily (and cheap ones doubling on brexit) and Chinese e-bay several suppliers now refuse to sell to me but I can't guess why (no bad feedback left & returns wanted).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap but half decent M42 adapters, any sources? Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Hi, guys!

I also ordered some of these, as they seem a little bit better quality than the cheapo ones, so I'm hoping they have the screw thread in the correct orientation. The black version without chip can be had for around £1.90

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828446867.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.5c051802Qt2fvT

Just as a heads up, this seller sends out the crappy generic adapters if you order the non-chip version, despite showing the same decent adapter either with or without chip in the advert.

Classic bait and switch.

On the plus side, the sellers with the adjustable adapters have them back in stock now, and they work out around £2.20-2.50 depending on what price they feel like charging on any given day!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of adjustable M42-EOS adapters and a few chips you can have for shipping. I'll dig them out tomorrow...