Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CCD cleaning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: CCD cleaning Reply with quote

We dont seem to have a thread relating to this product http://www.dust-aid.com/ (I may be wrong Embarassed ) sems like a very good Idea. It can be taken on a plane unlike liquids and CO2 so good for travelling. Has any one used it here? They seem to be heavily into testing there product that it is safe and have several movie clips that demonstarte its use, innovative design I like it! But for 5D owners check out the provisio (Like the canon 50 1.2 thread) which is saying that some of the sensors on this camera are not up to being cleaned with it because the coating is poor on some 5D cameras. ?36 in the UK.

one thing that made me laugh!
Quote:
Don’t use DUST-AID while driving, in the dark or inebriated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5D sensor has an indium coating that I believe is supposed to reduce the possibility of dust adhering to the sensor.... Confused

Apparently there have been cases of people "cleaning" their 5D's sensor and damaging this coating although the pix I've seen, look suspiciously like over-zealous and possibly heavy-handed attempts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
indium
not an element I've heard of is it a compound?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about a 5D with damaged coating. Finally it seems that it was Canon fault, a few 5D had problem with the coating and Canon replace it.
Many people use eclipse or e2 because of the guarantee if the coating is damaged.
Before 5D the IR filter was in glass and could be cleaned with eclipse like ordinary glass lens.
Now they make economy and they use a thin coat that is more fragile.
Lot of people clean 5D with eclipse but it is better to use E2 on the new coating.
I don't know about dust aid maybe it's a good solution but I doubt it can do the job of eclipse/e2 and I don't know if they give a guarantee.
I use sometimes bellows and it's the best way to get a sensor dirty.
E2 work good and sometimes I have to clean 2 times when 400D is too dirty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I use sometimes bellows and it's the best way to get a sensor dirty.
E2 work good and sometimes I have to clean 2 times when 400D is too dirty.

Are you saying that using bellows puts MORE dirt on the sensor, or do you mean it is the best way to get a sensor clean? Smile

Why is the 400D so dirty that you have to clean it yourself? Do you live in a very dusty house? I take mine on dusty construction sites and I've never had any problems thanks to the self-cleaning working perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
I was meaning this kind of Russian bellow from 1975. It is very dusty, I try to clean it with air compressed but everytime I use it the auto clean system of 400D is not enough and I have to clean myself.
Also I use pushpull zoom who bring more dust on the sensor because of air flow.
Anyway I am happy to have a solution to clean my sensor and I know that most 400D come new with dusty sensor from factory.

Quote:
I take mine on dusty construction sites

Are you changing lens in dusty environment and if yes have you try to take a sky at F22 to check for dust.