Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135mm versus Yashica ML 2.8/135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135mm versus Yashica ML 2.8/135mm Reply with quote

Everybody, finally we can understand the differences between a lens labelled Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135 and a lens labelled Yashica ML 2.8/135mm
Today I have made a test 1/500 at f:8

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4990689120/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Yashica ML 2.8/135mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4990089681/sizes/o/in/photostream/

and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4990165899/sizes/o/in/photostream/

the crops!

On a 21 megapixel digital camera the differences are more visible!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss slightly better along the edges, as it was to be expected.
Center performance is identical to my eyes. Zeiss maybe just a tiny bit contrastier.

P.S. Yashica shot is slightly front-focused.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see better clarity & microcontrast for the Zeiss, the metals shine more and the walls are cleaner
but I don't expect that 2 lenses at F8 will show lot of differences

if you check this more scientific test, ML & T*, you will see that differences should be more visible at F2.8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Sonnar is definitely better, but also you have to look at the price difference and consider that too. I don't think the ML is bad for a lens that costs what it does as compared to the Zeiss lenses, but the Zeiss lenses were the top of the line and you paid considerably more for that, still do. If you can afford the Zeiss, sure, go for it, but I actually think the ML looks pretty respectable considering it's the "middle" lens in terms of quality, though honestly I don't think the DSB/YUS is bad to start with. It's like the difference between tourist class, business class and 1st class. Each one has it's purpose, and it's price tag. You want leg room and champagne it's 1st class all the way, but if you can't afford that and still want to be able to breathe at least, you fly business class.

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
Yes, the Sonnar is definitely better, but also you have to look at the price difference and consider that too. I don't think the ML is bad for a lens that costs what it does as compared to the Zeiss lenses, but the Zeiss lenses were the top of the line and you paid considerably more for that, still do. If you can afford the Zeiss, sure, go for it, but I actually think the ML looks pretty respectable considering it's the "middle" lens in terms of quality, though honestly I don't think the DSB/YUS is bad to start with.

Poilu nailed it in my opinion: at f/8 in the center all lenses are good (except for some AF trashbin stuff). The challenge is wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, that's f/8 for Christ sake! Try 2.8 or 4, add some background, and watch the in-out of focus transition closely. The Zeiss is by no means APO, but it shows way less loCA than the Yashica lens.

Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135/2.8 at f/2.8:

Yashica ML 135/2.8 (1st gen, non-"C") at f/2.8: