Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I need your experience about this beauty,
Can someone tell me the differences between the Sonnar 180/2.8 models.
Talking about color rendition, contrast... The price is not a matter.
I will use it on Canon EOS, but maybe on Nikon also (in that case, I guess the Pentacon Six is the best choice for the flange distance)

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* for Contax/Yashica (I found 2 models)
Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC for Pentacon Six
Carl Zeiss Jena for Pentacon Six (Zebra model)
Carl Zeiss Jena for M42
Carl Zeiss Jena for Exakta

I 'll pass on the Contax RF, Ariflex, Bronica, and others exotics mounts

Thank for your help Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax beat all, better but not much. Difference is little some extraordinary good one from Jena lenses can be better, but chance to get one very little.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/carl_zeiss/carl_zeiss_sonnar_180mm_f2_8_MM_Japanese/

This is my selection from all

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/olypic_sonnar180mm/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Attila

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Contax/Yashica mount, I found 2 diferent models :

Picture from Ebay :

Any diferences between them ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoxixox wrote:
For the Contax/Yashica mount, I found 2 diferent models :

Yes. The second one is newer, lighter and, supposedly, better. Also, have a look at KEH.com before you commit to anything on eBay. KEH often has lenses in dramatically better conditions than most eBay sellers dare to say, at prices that are competitive or better than those bidding war results.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoxixox wrote:

I have the first one of the pair. It's an excellent performer, and I've never found cause for complaint. I bought it sight unseen by post from a reputable dealer. He rang me after the order went in to tell me it was one of two models of that lens, to make sure I knew. He told me it was slightly heavier, in case I'd wanted to wait for the lighter one. I figured that if he was honest and reliable enough to ring me to make sure I knew it was an earlier model, his opinion on its optical performance would be as reliable and honest, and I was not mistaken. (That was Jonathan Harris in England.)

It doesn't have a tripod collar, and whilst I think it should, I used it successfully on a tripod, though these days, since I discovered the Manfrotto 293 tele lens support, I used that with it routinely. It's a fine lens, but then, what else would you expect?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank aoleg & alex for your help, the second one seems more expensive ! I know keh, try once to buy them lenses and they told me that they do not sell in France (something about Nikon policies ??) Ebay sometime suprise me , you can make great deal, but the lenses are often overpriced Sad
The Manfrotto 293 tele lens support is a good idea, I have old heavy lenses in my cabinet Wink