Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena brass lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena brass lenses Reply with quote

I found these two brass lens at my usual antique shop. I did a batter trade plus top up for the lenses. I wish to know more about the lenses, for example, which camera bodies it used to mount, the mount, when the lenses made. Thanks

1. Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tevidon 2/10. Very heavy lens with aperature and focusing rings or mechanisms.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Carl Zeiss Jena 1.4,5 F-25cm DRP. This lens got front and rear glasses and the aperature blades sandwiched between them. I think its for the field type camera.

Last edited by Krisgage on Mon May 11, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The former is a GDR TV camera lens - some of them are crap, some of them are considered desirable among film students, but I don't know about that particular one. The latter is a 1913 plate camera barrel lens - still ok for large format with a slight vintage look, but at a resolution somewhere in the 10-20lp/mm it is not quite up to hooking it up to 35mm or a even smaller digital sensor unless for special effects.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The former is a GDR TV camera lens - some of them are crap, some of them are considered desirable among film students, but I don't know about that particular one. The latter is a 1913 plate camera barrel lens - still ok for large format with a slight vintage look, but at a resolution somewhere in the 10-20lp/mm it is not quite up to hooking it up to 35mm or a even smaller digital sensor unless for special effects.

Hi, thanks for your explaination. By the way, what does DRP and DDR means ?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea is this lenses mountable on DSLR Question

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
Sevo wrote:

Hi, thanks for your explaination. By the way, what does DRP and DDR means ?

DDR is Deutsche Demokratische Republik, also known as GDR (German Democratic Republic) or most commonly among English-speakers, East Germany Wink

DRP seems to stand for Deutsches Reichs Patent, or Imperial German Patent - but that's just what Google told me Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and congratulations on these amazing-looking pieces of history!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mal !

It seem I got 2 lenses from 2 different era ! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,

The Tevidon is a TV lens. As such it has a very very short register distance, it will probably not reach infinity even on a G1-class (micro-4/3) camera.

The only use I can think of for a lens of such short register is to reverse it and use it as a "super macro."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
Kris,

The Tevidon is a TV lens. As such it has a very very short register distance, it will probably not reach infinity even on a G1-class (micro-4/3) camera.

The only use I can think of for a lens of such short register is to reverse it and use it as a "super macro."

Thanks ! I did something else for the other brass lenses. Will post it below.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spoiled Pentacon 50mm lens. I removed the front most of the lens of this Pentacon lens and replaced it with CZJ Tessar front lens.

Here are the photos I shot in that combination. The distance for it to focus is very very short.

My mum

My dad

And with the Tessar lens itself, hand mounted it on my E-510, its the same for the focusing distance. Very very short too and seems blurry.