Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm F2.8 wide open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm F2.8 wide open Reply with quote

These are all shot on my EOS-M, and the Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm F2.8 wide open.
This is my 2nd using the lens, and all hand held. I am sure I would improve with a tripod. :0)
Slight PP adjustments.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks like it will be a very good performer for you Roger.
There are lots of reasons for using a lens wide open - to blur the background, to create separation of your subject from what is behind, to take advantage of the swirl in out of focus highlights etc
Many image makers who post here like to show what a lens can do wide open so that we can get a feel for how sharp it is at that aperture - knowing that it will usually improve in sharpness as the aperture closes. It is an easy way to get a quick impression of the quality of a lens.
Sometimes the image will be sharper, and show greater areas of sharpness if the lens is closed down only one or two stops, while keeping pleasing bokeh.
You have mentioned that you think that your images might be improved with a tripod - and yes, that is usually the case for all of us - me especially Very Happy
I think that your images will improve more if you pick different times of the day for shooting - if this is possible of course. The light from the middle of the day is quite harsh and lacks the warmth that we find earlier or later in the day. It is also at a lower angle earlier and later - which creates shadows and develops more in the way of modelling, adding 3D to our subjects. Mid day lighting can be very flat.
Some of the most beautiful light happens just before and just after the sun's appearance and disappearance when it becomes soft, and pastel colours shine.
Anyhoo, I am starting to ramble, but was thinking these thoughts while looking at your work, so thought to pen them here.
Hope this helps
OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
There are lots of reasons for using a lens wide open - to blur the background, to create separation of your subject from what is behind, to take advantage of the swirl in out of focus highlights etc
Many image makers who post here like to show what a lens can do wide open so that we can get a feel for how sharp it is at that aperture - knowing that it will usually improve in sharpness as the aperture closes. It is an easy way to get a quick impression of the quality of a lens.
Sometimes the image will be sharper, and show greater areas of sharpness if the lens is closed down only one or two stops, while keeping pleasing bokeh.
You have mentioned that you think that your images might be improved with a tripod - and yes, that is usually the case for all of us - me especially Very Happy
I think that your images will improve more if you pick different times of the day for shooting - if this is possible of course. The light from the middle of the day is quite harsh and lacks the warmth that we find earlier or later in the day. It is also at a lower angle earlier and later - which creates shadows and develops more in the way of modelling, adding 3D to our subjects. Mid day lighting can be very flat.
Some of the most beautiful light happens just before and just after the sun's appearance and disappearance when it becomes soft, and pastel colours shine.
Anyhoo, I am starting to ramble, but was thinking these thoughts while looking at your work, so thought to pen them here.
Hope this helps
OH

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did't pick the best day, or best subject, but it was what I had. Time is my largest challenge. But I love playing with these older lenses, and sharing my results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Hope this helps
OH

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did't pick the best day, or best subject, but it was what I had. Time is my largest challenge. But I love playing with these older lenses, and sharing my results.

And that is the most important part - having fun.
Very Happy
OH