Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena - 135/6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena - 135/6.3 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this lens?

Last edited by tinybynature on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember to have seen any in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a Tessar, there was a whole series of 6.3 Tessars before the 4.5 Tessar was introduced. However, this one is coated so is rather late for a 6.3 I think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: no aperture blades Reply with quote

I know it is a barrel lens and it has no aperture blades. Not sure how that works????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: bought it. Reply with quote

Well... I bought it. I find next to nothing about this lens online, which tells me it is not a common lens. Hopefully I made a good choice. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you help yourself and others by posting the lens picture. curious too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I think you help yourself and others by posting the lens picture. curious too

Sorry, thought I already had... not sure what happened to it. Must have accidentally deleted it :O

Here it is.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read somewhere, that a barrel lens with no aperture blades, means it is missing the rear elements and is worthless!! Sad

Have I been hosed?

How to know, if this is the case?

thanks.

Here is another look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a strange mount, was it from an enlarger or a projector?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projection lens or from some optical bench.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that thread 39mm?

if it is then you may be able to "easily" jerry-rig something to suit your needs

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am most concerned about the fact the aperture is missing and whether or not the rear element to the lens is missing??

Can anyone tell by the photos?

Is there any way to tell if a rear element is missing, without taking the entire lens apart?

I believe it should be 4 elements in 3 groups.

According to this document, there were not many of this lens produced. http://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf

With the serial number on the lens, I can see it was produced between 1957 and 1960
1957 5,000,000
1960 6,000,000

135mm F6.3 - with shutter 250 produced / barrel lens 811 produced

compare this to some other Tessars

210mm F6.3 - with shutter 25 / barrel lens 3272

135mm F4.5 - with shutter 300 / barrel lens 11,016

180mm F4.5 - with shutter 385 / barrel lens 18,512

With only 811 of these lenses made, I guess they are fairly scarce. But if it is missing pieces, is it worthless and useless?

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odds are that it is complete.

The big questions for making it usable have to do with construction. Are the front and rear groups (the pair of singlets and the cemented doublet, respectively) in cells that screw into the barrel you showed us? They don't have to be. If they are, do the cells fit a standard shutter? If so, all you need to do to use the lens stopped down is unscrew the cells from the barrel and screw them into the shutter.

That the metal surrounding the front group is ridged suggests unscrewing. This is a good sign but not conclusive. The set screws in the mount suggest that removing the lens in its barrel from the mount will be easy. Its hard to be sure, you'll probably need a hex key to unscrew them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Odds are that it is complete.

The big questions for making it usable have to do with construction. Are the front and rear groups (the pair of singlets and the cemented doublet, respectively) in cells that screw into the barrel you showed us? They don't have to be. If they are, do the cells fit a standard shutter? If so, all you need to do to use the lens stopped down is unscrew the cells from the barrel and screw them into the shutter.

That the metal surrounding the front group is ridged suggests unscrewing. This is a good sign but not conclusive. The set screws in the mount suggest that removing the lens in its barrel from the mount will be easy. Its hard to be sure, you'll probably need a hex key to unscrew them.

Thank you everyone for all the comments. I will update, once the lens is received Smile

Thank you Dan!!

I was hoping you might come on and give some feedback to this. I see you all over the net, when I search for info on lenses like this. Smile

I will probably be in touch again, when I receive the lens (couple of weeks probably)

Is there a way to know for sure, that none of the elements are missing? Have you experienced, when aperture missing, rear element is also missing?

If complete, Can the lens be used "wide open" and what kind of results could I expect? I have read that these Tessars were best stopped down to F22!! That is a long way from 6.3 wide open.

I am not sure about taking apart lens cells, as I am extremely new to all these manual lenses. I would be worried about messing up the engineered design of the lens?? Regarding shutter, the chart shows it was produced in a Compur0 shutter, but I have read that the barrel lenses do not always work well with retrofitting for a shutter?

Is this one of the 135mm 6.3 Tessars, that had production of 811? If so, does that make it a fairly rare lens? Smile

thank you again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have interesting character but don't expect it to be fantastic, wide open or not. What body are you intending on using this with?

Please post more pics of it when it arrives Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
It may have interesting character but don't expect it to be fantastic, wide open or not. What body are you intending on using this with?

Please post more pics of it when it arrives Smile

I am not expecting it to be as good as a 6 element Componon or Rodagon and purchased it more for it's rarity than anything else. I could find next to nothing about it online, which tells me it is not a very common lens.

I guess how I use it, will depend on the thread size. If it is M39 (hopefully), I will use it on my Pentax K-01.

I have M42 adapters for the Pentax and can use an M42/M39 ring to make the connection. I will have to figure out the correct size focusing helicoid to use for this focal length lens.

here is another angle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned a little something new about this lens.

It is a "Wide Field" lens, with a 70 degree angle of coverage. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... the lens was just delivered.

optics are clean and the lens is producing an image, when I look through it, so all the elements are complete.

However, the seller forgot to mention, that the lens is "glued" into that metal mount. (a small detail to forget... I guess) Sad

So... how to get it out of the mount. I put it in a vice and take a hacksaw to it? A rotary tool, might be faster?

There is about a 10mm gap, from the back of the mount, to the rear of the lens barrel. There is a female thread, on the rear of the barrel, that measures approx 25mm, when I eyeball it with a ruler.

Does anyone know, where I might find the specs on this lens, to find out the exact thread sizes?

Maybe I can somehow thread something on to the back of the lens itself and just leave it in the mount. It adds some extra weight, but at least I would not risk damaging the lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to heat it up a little bit? With optical blocks removed if possible?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Maybe try to heat it up a little bit? With optical blocks removed if possible?

What do you mean, by "optical blocks".

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just speculating as I really know nothing about internal construction of this particular lens. Maybe there is a way to extract glass from it (spanner wrench?) and leave only barrel in mount so you can safely heat it up beyond glue melting point... If not then probably lathe and skilled operator is way to go...