Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon T50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Canon T50 Reply with quote

I had mentioned in a few other posts that I was looking for a Canon camera that I could use with FD lenses.
I was planning on an AE1 or A1 depending on what my budget was at the time.

I found a Canon T50 on Ebay in tested working condition fron a camera store.
No body bid so I got it for USD $4.99 + $7.95 shipping. Total $12.94. Very Happy

I can always upgrade later, but now I can at least use my FD lenses. Smile

Anyone use a T50? Are they any good?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm a great fan of the T70 and would assume the basic workings and electronics of the T50 are similar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T70 looks like a nice camera. I wish I had that version,
but this will make me a nice Canon starter camera.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
The T70 looks like a nice camera. I wish I had that version,
but this will make me a nice Canon starter camera.

Some guys like to play with cameras, but for me I just want to take pictures and get VG results so prefer semi auto cameras and the T70 has a great feature (when set) called "safety shift"...how does it work? Well for example say you had used the camera in sunshine at 1/250 sec then later used the camera when the sun is going down but forgot to adjust the shutter speed..the camera will realise the shutter speed is wrong for correct exposure and will correct automatically (within it's limitations).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think next time I will look for a T70 or AE1. Because I'm not going to get this one. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It was delivered to a small town 150 miles from here. It should of went out UPS like the auction stated, bud instead they used USPS.

I gave them both adresses, I have a po box, just incase.
Well they used the right po box number but the wrong zip code.
Yeah I gave them the right one.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be. They've doing the refund as I write this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T90 is the one to get.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Well I think next time I will look for a T70 or AE1. Because I'm not going to get this one**

Well the Canon A series are very good but read this first:-

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
The T90 is the one to get.

+1 Smile Smile

I LOVE my T90

Though I have the T70 and 11 other FD lens type bodies too

F1 / F1-n / AE-1 / A1 / FTb / Pellix

etc.. lol

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this camera once! I mean T50

Well, I think once was enough == still good testing for lens infinity though

But what really rocks is T90 -- I'd really like to try it out!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little housekeeping here...the one thing that bothers me about the T90 is the dreaded EEE warning it throws up on the LCD after being used a zillion times. From what I understand you can reboot it by taking out the batteries and replace, then it goes back to normal. I guess I need to evaluate what
level of comfort I have with that. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Did a little housekeeping here...the one thing that bothers me about the T90 is the dreaded EEE warning it throws up on the LCD after being used a zillion times. From what I understand you can reboot it by taking out the batteries and replace, then it goes back to normal. I guess I need to evaluate what

From all the experiences on the net it would seem the dreaded EEE occurs mainly because it's not used, so fire the shutter once a month or maybe every 6 months or whatever and the problem shouldn't occur.
When I first got mine, it was mint and hadn't been used much and it had the EE when I first used it for long exposures, and the sympton was a "shutter drag" which caused a line across the neg on long exposures (worked perfectly on short exposures) and was going to send the camera back as faulty when it cleared..... anyway haven't had any problems since then as I fire the shutter once a month.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Well I think next time I will look for a T70 or AE1. Because I'm not going to get this one. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It was delivered to a small town 150 miles from here. It should of went out UPS like the auction stated, bud instead they used USPS.

I gave them both adresses, I have a po box, just incase.
Well they used the right po box number but the wrong zip code.
Yeah I gave them the right one.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be. They've doing the refund as I write this post.

Walter - I'm in Scotland but have a T70 body which you can have at a cheap price - PM me if interested. Shipping at actual cost probably won't be too expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

From all the experiences on the net it would seem the dreaded EEE occurs mainly because it's not used, so fire the shutter once a month or maybe every 6 months or whatever and the problem shouldn't occur.
When I first got mine, it was mint and hadn't been used much and it had the EE when I first used it for long exposures, and the sympton was a "shutter drag" which caused a line across the neg on long exposures (worked perfectly on short exposures) and was going to send the camera back as faulty when it cleared..... anyway haven't had any problems since then as I fire the shutter once a month.

Good to know, Excal, thanks. I'm wondering if the disparity comes from
a camera that hasn't been used but still has a lot of life left in its electronic
shutter, to one where the shutter is approaching its deathbed. The T90's
styling is superb, and has the vertical grip built in with shutter release(?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T90 & 300tl flash combo is awesome and use my T90 mainly for this set up for special occasions (and I don't want to get it scratched shoved in my back pack whilst cycling or dusty/sandy holidays).

A link to the 300tl:-
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/Canon300tlflash/index.htm

The EE problem on long exposures that I once had when first bought a couple of years ago:-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, you might stumble on an unlucky or abused specimen but the T-90 was a revolutionary camera back then, built on top engineering standards. There have to be a reason if they nicknamed it "the tank"Smile. The shutter is metal blades as opposite to the cloth curtains of A-series. That said any camera that old might develop problems, sure it is if an electronic dies the camera is likely kaputt: the parts production stopped more then a decade ago. In this case one can get another one for a reasonable price these days. It's surely the best in the FD line-up, if you don't need the removable prism for special applications. For sure I'm happy with mine Smile.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 'double' split screen where the centre has both vertical, and horizontal focus ability...

It's by far the brightest and best manual focus screen on any camera I have ever used... if only they made something as good for digital SLR cameras today...

Doug

marty wrote:
Bill, you might stumble on an unlucky or abused specimen but the T-90 was a revolutionary camera back then, built on top engineering standards. There have to be a reason if they nicknamed it "the tank"Smile. The shutter is metal blades as opposite to the cloth curtains of A-series. That said any camera that old might develop problems, sure it is if an electronic dies the camera is likely kaputt: the parts production stopped more then a decade ago. In this case one can get another one for a reasonable price these days. It's surely the best in the FD line-up, if you don't need the removable prism for special applications. For sure I'm happy with mine Smile.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty and Doug, thanks for your input, will now have to look for one. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Marty and Doug, thanks for your input, will now have to look for one. Wink

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got both the T90 and A1 (2x) and use both more than I use my digicam. If I were honest I think that I would rather have the A1 over the T90, not because it is a better camera but because it feels tactile in my hands - just so....nice solid brass feeling
Sure beats the AE1 anyday of the week

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved my A1 but it developed the dreaded screeching noise... so got the T90 and now have a 'new' QUIET A1.. it has great controls for sure, but the T90 is easier to grip and has superior (if more complicated to use) metering.

The A1 does have a nice tactile feel, and is very solid, but something about the T90 is stunning - it is the EOS that isn't an EOS.. and is all the better for it! lol

Doug

trev wrote:
Have got both the T90 and A1 (2x) and use both more than I use my digicam. If I were honest I think that I would rather have the A1 over the T90, not because it is a better camera but because it feels tactile in my hands - just so....nice solid brass feeling
Sure beats the AE1 anyday of the week

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples of photos using T50 and 50mm f1.8 canon lens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca

Thanks for the samples. Smile I'm pretty sure that's my next lens to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, whoever got the T50 kept it. It was never returned to the sender.
Worked out fine anyway sense I bought an At-1.