Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Serenar 5cm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Canon Serenar 5cm f2 Reply with quote

What is known about the Canon Serenar 5cm f2? I just purchased this on eBay. I know it's rare but not much else other what's on the canon museum page. http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/s20.html

Here is the eBay auction.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351553205342?_mwBanner=1

Anyone have a idea of collector value?

It will I assume take a bit to get to the us, but of course I'll post results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably like like from same age, low contrast sharp lens, not sure.
I had a few early Canon RF lens all was excellent top performer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it. It`s a heavy well built little lens. The front element surface of my copy has lots of scratches which affects the IQ, so I can`t say much about its performance. Looking forward to your results! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find there.

I would make a post asking for info here:

https://www.leicaplace.com/forums/12/

Brian, who often posts there, knows the Canon RF lenses really well. He may be able to tell you more.

It's obviously Canon's version of the Leitz Summitar, and may well be better. The Summitars had very soft coatings and its really hard to get a good one. Be sure to shine a light through yours when you get it. Smile

"It was the second lens designed by Seiki Kogaku (later became CANON) optical engineers. First was the 3.5/5cm Elmar copy. This was close to the Leitz Summar design, so it was the first Canon "highspeed" lens..." Sonnar 2 RFF

"The 5cm f/2 lens is not all that common but does pop up from time to time and usually attached to Canon CCCo S-II. The RARE bird is the SK version of the 5cm f/2 issued in Feb 1947 and was only in the market for seven months before the Seiki Kogaku name was dropped in favour of Canon Camera Company (CCCo). Only one SK lens has appeared on eBay in the last 9 years. It is the only lens besides the 50mm f/1.9 lens which during that era, Canon ran similar serial numbers on two different focal lengths. Both had serial #s beginning with 20001. This is one reason why Canon never introduced the 5cm f/2 as a 50mm f/2 lens as I presume they couldn't see any real difference between the 5cm f/2 and the 50mm f/1.9. Actually there isn't really and it was just a tweak of the lens formula as the schematics are the same for both lenses. So far I have yet to record any f2 or f1.9 lenses which have the same serial number. The highest SK 5cm f2 recorded is #20214 and I own #20232 which has CCCo on the front ID ring. Not many were made and even less have survived."
CanonRFinder RFF

PS you may already know the lens sold once before and was returned...i think.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Serenar-5cm-2-with-caps-rare-/111771192079?hash=item1a06150b0f:g:EfsAAOSwQPlV9f7b

A decent one of these, it appears, is worth 500USD. Kevin Cameras has one much higher but it's not selling Smile

If you know a good technician who would clean it up for a reasonable price, it might be quite easy to sell to collectors. But the old glass must be handled with care. Much of the damage is done in cleaning over the years.

I think I would first shoot it carefully on a FF camera at various apertures, infinity landscape to check for centering issues. Is one edge softer than the other? If it's OK, well you cannot loose Smile He had this listed in a strange place.

PS:1329 made (Feb.1947-Aug.1949) according to R.HOOPER
Not truly RARE, but certainly hard to find. For example, only 1800 85/1.5 lenses were made, and a good one goes for 500USD. But they don't come up much. Over 50,000 50/1.2s were made, if I'm not mistaken. But only 2200 85/1.8 (late black)

Great find, really. Smile Fingers crossed it's in decent shape.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Wonder if the first buyer didn't pay etc. He has a good rating. I'm honesty more interested in it for the history, and assuming if I find I don't use it much could move it for at least breaking even I'm normally happy. ( note, I have yet to sell a Manual lens... )

ok, I also like shinny lenses... Razz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very pretty lens and you got it for a very nice price.I hope it works out for you and its a good lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely lens, great price!
imo pretty much any 50mm built before around 1960 is interesting and fun to play with Smile

Last edited by kuuan on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoho7 wrote
it's obviously Canon's version of the Leitz Summitar, and may well be better

I think maybe you made a 'mis-typing' here Wink From the drawing in Kitchingman's book (and the 6/4 construction mentioned on the Canon website) it seems to follow the pattern of the Summar rather than the 7-element Summitar.

An interesting lens and I think vroger did well to buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes with these Canon lenses the haze reaches a condition where it can't be removed anymore. It is a hit-or-miss, basically.
And that affects the IQ (and the value).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padam wrote:
Sometimes with these Canon lenses the haze reaches a condition where it can't be removed anymore. It is a hit-or-miss, basically.
And that affects the IQ (and the value).

Understood. Assuming the price of the lens i'm not necessarily expecting it to be perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
uhoho7 wrote

I think maybe you made a 'mis-typing' here Wink From the drawing in Kitchingman's book (and the 6/4 construction mentioned on the Canon website) it seems to follow the pattern of the Summar rather than the 7-element Summitar.

You are right, I stand corrected Smile

Here is a nice thread comparing the two:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31990

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
scsambrook wrote:
uhoho7 wrote

You are right, I stand corrected Smile

Here is a nice thread comparing the two:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31990

a few results.

http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gallery/Lenses/MF/Unprocessed-Canon-Serenar-F2-5/Processed-Canon-Serenar-F2-5cm/