Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Serenar 100mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Canon Serenar 100mm f4 Reply with quote

I've just bought a Canon 100mm Serenar f4 in Leica screw mount. Unfortunately, somebody has messed with the rangefinder coupling so it's now most easily used on a mirrorless body - scale focusing only on a Leica. This particular one was made in 1948 or 1949 according to Peter Kitchingman's website - http://canonrangefinder.servehttp.com/index.php?page=lenses&type=telephoto_lenses&id=26.

Brass body, weighs almost 500 grams. It's a simple Cooke Triplet design and, as far as I can see, only 4 of the six surfaces are coated. Too many iris blades to count. Closest focus distance is only 5 feet. For a lens around 65 years old it's in very good condition optically and mechanically. It needs a little help in processing to give its best - raise the contrast a touch and warm the image sometimes, but not very much. 'Bokeh' seems pleasant to my eyes. I've yet to use an old Canon Rangefinder lens that I haven't liked.

Winter sunset - f4:

Robin on a wire - f4, about half the frame:

Back-lit leaves - f4 (slightly mis-focused!):

Fence post - f4:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very nice bokeh behind the bird, as well as color around the bird and the tree, very vivid. Definitely makes me want to check the lens at Flickr for more bokeh-dope.

ISO possibly a little bit high in case of some shots (again, the bird).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice looking lens,shame about the min focus distance and the damaged coupling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got one without internal haze? Very lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lens exactly like this -- came with a shoe-mount optical glass viewfinder and a leather case to house both. Recently I bought an LTM to NEX adapter for my NEX 7. Just haven't gotten to my LTM lenses yet, but seeing how well yours does makes me want to step up the time table. I really like the bokeh you're getting, especially with the fencepost shot. Great detail too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Lens!
Beautiful pictures!
Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely, to bad it was modified. Perhaps you got it for a better price however.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens was indeed far from expensive. As for being free from internal haze, from what I can gather that seems to be much more common in some of the later Canon rangefinder lenses. It really is a nice lens and it's hard to avoid concluding that it's optically as good as a 90mm Elmar of the same vintage - although it's massive and heavy in comparison.

Since I got it I've done a little more reading and now wonder if it has actually had the rangefinder coupling cam altered. I gather that the first of the Serenars were not fully standardised. The thread dimensions are mentioned in the literature and this one won't actually fit into all my Leica screw-bayonet adapters (either Leitz or Voigtlander make). The profile of the cam surface looks different to my other Canon screw lenses and I wonder if in fact the early Serenars might have had some hand-finishing done to ensure correct functioning with the contemporary Canon bodies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you take a picture of the rear and post it too see if their are others out there?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just acquired one of these beauties, mainly cause they are so shiny (and results from the 85 1.9 and 50 1.8 are nothing short of amazing!) have been giving it a good amount of time on the A7 and despite most of what i can find on the net suggesting the smaller 3.5 version is better, i think this is another winner serenar.
This one fits direct m39, not sure what year it made, finding model specifics is proving harder than i thought. Type II?? serial 47251.

Liking these RF lenses so much i have a 135 f4 on the way.

Couple pics from mine. All colour pics are straight out of camera, the B/W has had a little processing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing sharpness and lovely bokeh from wide open.
A treasure of a lens.
Thank you for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

Lovely rendering from the Serenar!

I was also taken with its shiny finish and picked up one last year. Then I realized it wasn't polished aluminum, but chromed brass.
Also came with the later smaller aluminum 100 f/3.5, but it's hazed and needs service. So, no comparisons to offer, yet.
The later 135mm f/3.5 is also a very good performer.
Always keeping an eye out for these rangefinder lenses, especially for a bargain.