Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon R 100mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Canon R 100mm f2 Reply with quote

This lens was introduced in 1959 and made in Leica screw rangefinder and Canonflex R fitting. It seems it was never produced in Canon FL/FD mount which is a little curious as it continued to be available in the rangefinder version throughout the 1960s. The Canon R breechlock is the same as the later FL/FD but the auto aperture operation is completely different. It's a 6-element Gauss design.

I have both versions - the Leica one has a nearly circular iris but the R model has a six-bladed one. This picture was tken with the R lens at f2:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the six bladed iris.
Well done.
Funny isn't it how the market sees things. Pick any lens and say it is in LTM 39mm and it will fetch a premium.
Say that the same lens is in some other mount and the premium disappears - same lens! Very Happy
I have to laugh
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely painterly image.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with the six bladed iris - unless you're shooting at small apertures and there are point-light sources in the picture I can't really see any differences. The hexagonal iris has sharp 'corners' and the points of light do show clearly the shape clearly but it's never bothered me.

This photo was made with the LTM version, a bit later the same day - also at f2 so the iris question is irrelevant. No difference in the performance to justify a premium.