Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 400mm 2.8 L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some quick tests the Canon FD 2x-B and the Vivitar macro focussing 2x teleconverter rendered very similar and decent results, with the Vivitar being a bit more practical in use. Maybe I should retest my samples more rigorously to see if I can coax better IQ from the Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the nFD 2.8/400mm L extensively during the last week, for documentation of 16th century frescoes and paintings in Rome/Italy. The lens on its own is very good at f2.8 (and corners get worse when stopping down!).
It can be used also with the FD 1.4x converter, but then i prefer to work at f5.6-f8 (eff). Occasionaly i did use it also with the FD 2x-A converter (at f11); results from the 2x converter are still much better than a simple upsizing of the 2.8/400 & 1.4x Conv images (let alone upsizing of 2.8/400 images).

I have attached two 100% crops from the center and the extreme corner (Canon nFD 2.8/400mm L plus Canon FD 1.4x converter; Sony A7).

Overview:

100% crop from center:

100% crop from extreme corner:

Usually depth-of-field was more a problem than lens performance ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An outstanding lens. The corner sharpness still looks good to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind posting a few new pictures? I really like the subject separation of this lens - just very pleasing to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Excellent results!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some beautiful work in this thread! Love it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the photographs and the photographers in this thread are outstanding. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange to think of a 400mm lens for using as full body portraits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It's strange to think of a 400mm lens for using as full body portraits.

No, not at all. The (smaller and cheaper) 2.8/300mm lenses are some kind of "standard" lens for fashion photography.
The 2.8/400 is even better for separating the model from the background!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here are a few images from a recent hike in the Swiss Alps.

Canon nFD 2.8/400mm L plus Sony A7RII and Monopod.

The weight of the lens plus its size and the monopod can be a bit tricky when following the animals in steep territory - Sony A900 plus 2.8/200mm APO is much easier to use ... and safer.

[/url]

The images were taken at a hight between 2600m and 2800m above sea level, in the Gotthard region.

Stephan

Here's a BBC video showing what i meant when i said a 2.8/400 can be a bit tricky when trying to follw the ibexes, especially the young ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG9TMn1FJzc&feature=youtu.be

If you're impatient, go to 2:00 to see what i mean ...

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goats got skills!

Nice work Stephan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly amazing! In French, we call them bouquetins! SAw some in "vallee des merveilles" North of Nice

They surely were part of the marvels...