Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon New FD 24mm 1:2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Canon New FD 24mm 1:2 Reply with quote

Can anybody confirm if the Canon New FD 24mm 1:2 has a dedicated reataining ring for the front lens under the name ring? And if so, does anybody happen to have a junker to sell (or sell the retaining ring from)?

I just received a copy of this lens which I had the chance to buy for a very decent price. I think this lens may be missing a retaining ring for the front lens. The front lens is a bit loose, it rotates freely but does not come out.

For this picture only the name ring was unscrewed:

There is nothing that screws onto the thread around the front lens. Why would it be there if not for a retaining ring?

This is a crop from an image of another New FD 24mm 1:2 for sale on ebay and it seems there is the edge of a retaining ring visible right under the name ring:

Of course, this lens had worn focusing bushings:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard Sad

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea of the size or if they would fit - but I dismantled an old Tamron zoom 28-135 and there was a lot of small nylon bushes in the zoom mechanism. Perhaps they could be made to fit?
I'll try and find them tomorrow and measure them.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have no idea of the size or if they would fit - but I dismantled an old Tamron zoom 28-135 and there was a lot of small nylon bushes in the zoom mechanism. Perhaps they could be made to fit? I'll try and find them tomorrow and measure them.

That's very kind of you! But actually, I am looking just for a retaining ring. For the bushings, I usually just restore the old ones:

No experience with long term durability, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at my copy and the name ring is flush with the front element. There's no immediate indication that there's something under it.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the retaining ring like clip type ,just like the 50mm 1.8 version? What diameter has the filter thread ? Maybe some other ring would fit just the same ,I mean from the nFD , I assume it wouldn't be easy to find that specific ring for the 24mm , much easier on other focal length

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fdlenses wrote:
... For the bushings, I usually just restore the old ones: [pic]

Please tell us your restore technique!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I looked at my copy and the name ring is flush with the front element. There's no immediate indication that there's something under it.

Thank you very much, that's very valuable information!

kiddo wrote:
Isn't the retaining ring like clip type ,just like the 50mm 1.8 version? What diameter has the filter thread ? Maybe some other ring would fit just the same ,I mean from the nFD , I assume it wouldn't be easy to find that specific ring for the 24mm , much easier on other focal length

The filter thread diameter is 52 mm. But the retaining ring I think could be missing would screw onto the male thread around the front lens. If it actually exists it would likely have to match the shape of the front lens surface and that could make it a part unique to this particular type of lens. It would be great if it could be sourced from a lens as easily available as the 50mm 1:1.8 but I am afraid this type and size of retaining ring is only found on more pricy lenses.

visualopsins wrote:
fdlenses wrote:
... For the bushings, I usually just restore the old ones: [pic]

Please tell us your restore technique!

I will answer in the separate thread you started.