Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD35-105mm f/3.5 or FD35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Canon FD35-105mm f/3.5 or FD35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Reply with quote

Hi! I am googling for an FD zoom lens and found there are two versions of 35-105 zooms. Both features marco and have S.S.C coating. But one is f/3.5 (and few) while another one is f/3.5-4.5 (and more popular). Could anyone share the differnece in image quality? Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f3.5 was always rated highly by Canon users - it's much bigger and heavier than the the later "trombone" model and feels a far higher quality lens. It's a long time since I used the f3.5 - I borrowed one to try when I fancied the idea of one lens for everything - but in the end I decided a 35mm and a 100mm pair was better for the photography I was doing. The zoom was okay, but just not a handy or unobtrusive lens, which was what I wanted.

The prices have fallen very much in recent times, though I'd still go with the fixed focal lengths - faster, lighter and just a bit better performance. But these days you can get a 35-105 for less money than a 35/2.8 and a 100/2.8 - !

There was also a story that Canon didn't actually make the later version themselves, but the same tale was also told about the 35-105 Zuiko and another one from Minolta, so it may have been something the UK Tokina office made up Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a copy of the New FD (not SSC) 35-105 f/3.5 (constant aperture) zoom. True it's largish, with a 72mm front filter size, and true, it's somewhat heavy. But it has a solid feel as a result. Too me, these minor inconveniences are well worth it. This is a great lens, and is one that I won't even consider parting with. Very sharp, nice bokeh. I've got pix around here somewhere . . .

Best,

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen & Michael, thanks. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won and got the FD 35-105 f3.5-f4.5 today bu thave question about the "Macro" switch. This switch is not able fixed and will be switched back if I released it. And I can not find any difference from viewfinder if I switched it. How I use it correctly? Thanks. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah... I got it. Switch it and turn barrel to left and it will switch to "Macro" mode. Smile
Nice one. Mike