Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD to Sony E issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Canon FD to Sony E issue Reply with quote

I'm not sure what is at fault here, either the adapter, the lens or me.

My recent purchase of a Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro meant I had bought my very first Canon FD mount lens. I performed my usual eBay search and bought an adapter, which turned out to be a nice snug fit.

The problem is with changing apertures; moving the aperture ring does not move the aperture blades. What does move the blades is turning the 'on-off' ring, found at the top end of the adapter.
Here's a photo:

Moving this 'on-off' ring opens and closes the blades, so if I half turn the ring the blades half close. This is obviously far from ideal and not how I am supposed to change the aperture.
If it's any help, here's a photo inside the adapter when attached to the lens:

Another issue is, I can find no obvious way to remove the adapter, there's no external button or lever to release it.

So, does anyone know what is wrong here?
Despite internal fungus the lens performs superbly well, but I'd really like to be able to use the aperture just like any other lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter has an on-off ring. Turn it either way to engage the aperture and close it. This is a nice feature of the adapter that helps in focusing. You set the aperture on the lens, focus with the aperture wide open and close the aperture to the selected stop by turning the on-off ring of the adapter.
The Canon FD mount bodies do not have a lens lock/release button. The older FD (brechlock) lences have a ring that tightens on the mount locking the lens into position an the later ones have a button that locks it in place. Your lens seems to have that brechlock ring. Turn it CCW to release the lens from the mount.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanxion72 wrote:
The adapter has an on-off ring. Turn it either way to engage the aperture and close it. This is a nice feature of the adapter that helps in focusing. You set the aperture on the lens, focus with the aperture wide open and close the aperture to the selected stop by turning the on-off ring of the adapter.
The Canon FD mount bodies do not have a lens lock/release button. The older FD (brechlock) lences have a ring that tightens on the mount locking the lens into position an the later ones have a button that locks it in place. Your lens seems to have that brechlock ring. Turn it CCW to release the lens from the mount.

Thanks for the explanation, I now understand how it should work.

Sadly for me, my adapter isn't working as you described. The on-off ring only moves the blades from wide open to fully closed, there's no middle ground. I set the aperture ring to f5.6 while the on-off ring allows wide open focusing. When I change the on-off ring the blades don't move to f5.6, they simply close all the way to f32.

Also, I have tried to remove the adapter by turning it CCW but, again, it won't work. I cannot remove the adapter at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that you do not select the minimum aperture through the adapter ring. That ring just opens and closes the aperture down to the selected value.
For example, set the aperture on the lens' ring to f/5.6 and then turn the on-off ring on the adapter to close it down to f/5.6.
It is a bit awkward, but after time it proves to be a valuable feature.

To remove the adapter, grab it by one hand and with the other "unscrew" the base ring on the lens. Look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rflgahl2AbU

Also when mounting the lens on the adapter make sure that the mount ring on the lens is at its initial position.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanxion72 wrote:
Remember that you do not select the minimum aperture through the adapter ring. That ring just opens and closes the aperture down to the selected value.
For example, set the aperture on the lens' ring to f/5.6 and then turn the on-off ring on the adapter to close it down to f/5.6.
It is a bit awkward, but after time it proves to be a valuable feature.

To remove the adapter, grab it by one hand and with the other "unscrew" the base ring on the lens. Look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rflgahl2AbU

Also when mounting the lens on the adapter make sure that the mount ring on the lens is at its initial position.

With the on-off ring in the 'off' position, I set the aperture ring at f5.6 (as an example). The aperture blades are wide open at this point. I then move the on-off ring to 'on', the blades should then be at the f5.6 position, but they are not, they are closed all the way down to f32. That's the problem.
I can only assume that I somehow attached the adapter in an incorrect position initially. That would explain why it isn't working as it should and the adapter can't be unscrewed from the lens.
Damn!
I might have to cut it off and buy another adapter Rolling Eyes at least I have learned a lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, while holding the lens and adaptor as in picture #1, rotate the knurled ring directly behind the aperture ring clockwise until the two red dots align. The adaptor should release from the lens. On a Canon breechlock lens the adaptor doesn't screw on or off but is held in position by the knurled ring I mentioned a moment ago, the breechlock.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have FD/FL to NEX adapters here ... The little pin in the adapter just activates or deactivates the aperture ring 'notch" in a fairly similar way as the camera does for showing the depth of field .. That is why it is marked "ON-OFF" .. but one must make sure to put the adapter on the lens with that ring in the correct position or it will not activate aka move the aperture mechanism bar so that one is able to use the aperture ring on the camera ! just my 2 €cts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Gary, while holding the lens and adaptor as in picture #1, rotate the knurled ring directly behind the aperture ring clockwise until the two red dots align. The adaptor should release from the lens. On a Canon breechlock lens the adaptor doesn't screw on or off but is held in position by the knurled ring I mentioned a moment ago, the breechlock.

Whoo Turtle thank you!

Now I just need to find out why I'm having no luck with the aperture mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Whoo Turtle thank you!

Now I just need to find out why I'm having no luck with the aperture mechanism.

OK, now set your adaptor to the open position, attach it to the lens opposite to how you removed it and then turn the ring on the adaptor to the lock position. Look through the lens as you rotate the aperture ring and it should open and close as expected.

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the 'open position' is, the adapter has on and off, which one is 'open'?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, it only fits one way.

I'm still left with fully closed blades, turning the aperture ring does nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I don't know what the 'open position' is, the adapter has on and off, which one is 'open'?

Sorry Gary, I'm looking at my own adaptor and not yours. Embarassed

Set yours to the off position, mount the adaptor to the lens and then change the setting on the adaptor to on. See if the aperture opens and closes as it should. If not, mount the lens with the adaptor set to on and then change it to the off position. One of the two combinations should work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Sorry Gary, I'm looking at my own adaptor and not yours. Embarassed

Set yours to the off position, mount the adaptor to the lens and then change the setting on the adaptor to on. See if the aperture opens and closes as it should.

The blades stay closed. I guess there's an issue inside the aperture mechanism, something isn't connected as it should be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to move the blades is by turning the on-off ring. Something, somewhere seems to be broken.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
The only way to move the blades is by turning the on-off ring. Something, somewhere seems to be broken.

I'm sending you a pm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small