Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Canon FD recommendations Reply with quote

I have bought a Canon FTbN camera body today but I need advice and recommendations on which Canon FD breechmount lenses to buy.

I want to put together a small outfit of 3 or 4 prime lenses from 28mm to 200mm. I have very little experience of Canon lenses so don't know which optics would be the best quality.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,These are remaining items of my canon FD equipment, I have tried to price them for quick sale,If you take all we can arrange and agree on price + I will include FD-PK and FD-AI.FREE.

50mm f1.8 SC $25us
35-70mm f4 $20us
100-300mmf5.6 $25us
Acura brand Bellows $30us shipping at actual cost Can.$$

All items in EX.Condition no fungus,scratches and all in full working order.Regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD recommendations Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I have bought a Canon FTbN camera body today but I need advice and recommendations on which Canon FD breechmount lenses to buy.

I want to put together a small outfit of 3 or 4 prime lenses from 28mm to 200mm. I have very little experience of Canon lenses so don't know which optics would be the best quality.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

As with any other brand, most Canon lenses optically became better when changing from breachlock to "new FD" mount. Mechanically i prefer the breachlock ("FD") variants.

I would start with the FD 2.8/28mm, a FD 1.4/50mm, a 2.8/100mm (or a FD 4/100mm Macro if you prefer macro) and the FD 2.8/200mm.

If you want start at 28mm, a 35mm lens doesn't make much sense; if you want a faster portrait lens you might replace the FD 2.8/100mm by the FD 1.8/85mm. If you go for the 1.8/85mm, you might add the FD 4/80-200mm instead of the FD 2.8/200mm, though.

I have used all these Canon FD lenses on 24MP FF digital cameras, and i can honestly recommend them. They are not better than contemporary MF lenses from Minolta, Nikon or Konica, but they have no obvious weaknesses and they are solid performers.

The FD 2.8-3.5/35-70mm is another valid zoom with - for its time - excellent performance.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few. Only old 200/2.8 has badly purple fringle. Cant tell any bad lenses than this one. FD lenses are relatively cheap and good.

FL 55/1.2 is also good among the older lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what are the prices now, when I was getting into manual lenses FD 50/1.4 was IMHO the best price/performance manual lens you could buy across the board (meaning all lenses, not just across FL/FD mounts). That's the lens that got me really hooked on MF and it's a must have in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the 50/1.4 - it's a very good lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are not interested in 24mm but FDn 24/2.8 is a great bargain for the buck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD SSC 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.5
The 35/2.8 Tilt/Shift is one of my favourites, amazing IQ, tons of resolution.

Last edited by Lightshow on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an old Canon FL 135mm f2.5 with caps, hood and case in good condition. I can't find many comments. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be above average, 7-8/10 probably a bit of CA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
I just got an old Canon FL 135mm f2.5 with caps, hood and case in good condition. I can't find many comments. Any ideas?

The FL 2.5/135mm is a different design than the FD 2.5/135mm; the optical construction is not the same. Even though i have both lenses, i never have compared them. A mistake, i must admit Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Ed,These are remaining items of my canon FD equipment, I have tried to price them for quick sale,If you take all we can arrange and agree on price + I will include FD-PK and FD-AI.FREE.

50mm f1.8 SC $25us
35-70mm f4 $20us
100-300mmf5.6 $25us
Acura brand Bellows $30us shipping at actual cost Can.$$

All items in EX.Condition no fungus,scratches and all in full working order.Regards

Hi Kryss

Thanks for your offer but I'm looking for Canon prime lenses incl a 1.4/50.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,I do have a Mint 50mm f1.4 make me a reasonable offer as a fellow member, if accepted shipping will be at my cost.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Ed,I do have a Mint 50mm f1.4 make me a reasonable offer as a fellow member, if accepted shipping will be at my cost.

PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been underwhelmed by most of the FD lenses I've owned but I do very much like the FL 2.5/35 for it's character and sharpness. It's a bit flare prone and medium contrast, but the very nice character of the iages makes up for that. Oh, and it's built like a tank, all aluminium and brass, no plastic to be found anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well IMO you can't go wrong with most Canon prime lenses on a film camera FL, FD or FDn.... 28mm, 35, 50mm 100mm, 135mm are very good, and the 200mm f4? well for me the jury is out as if other members say "it's very good" then I must have an inferior copy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plethora of Canon FD lenses and I agree with lightshows selections. (Except the tilt lens I can't say on that as I have not had the opportunity to use it.) But the FD lenses are generally ALL good (Except I have heard the 100-300 zoom is below Canon standards). As to breech lock verses nFD the breech system is VERY robust but it can be a pain. I have had lens caps and adapters get permanently stuck. The nFD seems far more user friendly, but the lenses just don't seem to be as elegant. (I like the old all metal/glass lenses the best personally). As to fast lenses the FD system is definitely the least expensive way to get for example a normal superfast like a 55mm 1.2 .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've been underwhelmed by most of the FD lenses I've owned but I do very much like the FL 2.5/35 for it's character and sharpness. It's a bit flare prone and medium contrast, but the very nice character of the iages makes up for that. Oh, and it's built like a tank, all aluminium and brass, no plastic to be found anywhere.

Ian, I have this lens which I bought after reading a post of yours from a few years ago. I love it on my NEX and I bought the Canon FTbN primarily to use this lens on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

+1

It's really a very good lens. It's heavy, yes. It is not Multi coat, no it isn't.

It's prone to flare in front of the light, yes.

Now, the pros: It's sharp, has nice color rendition, you can see how the lens can rendering before you make focus with it.

I use it with the cron R 90/2 (old formula). I'm very happy with both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad to see others like this lens too, even though I have a ton of 35mms including Biogon, Flektogon, Distagon, Hexanon, Fujinon, Skoparex, Angulon and others, the old Canon is one I still really love using.

Sadly I've never been able to use it with film as the only Canon FD mount cameras I have had were three AE-1s and all of them were jammed solid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: http://forum.mflenses.com/posting,mode,reply,t,77518.html Reply with quote

Ah, a topic I'm fond of because I actually have some experience here.

First, I'd recommend you stretch your perspective a bit and substitute the FD 24mm f/2.8 for the 28mm. Anything a 28mm can do a 24mm can do better.

35mm: the nFD 35mm f/2.8 is a solid performer, but the FD 35/3.5 and especially the 35/2 are also excellent. Worth mentioning as well is the FL 35mm f/2.5 -- one of my favorite 35mm lenses and my first ever 35mm lens. I just love it. And since Ian has shared some FL 35mm photos, I thought I'd share some too:

Canon FTb, FL 35mm f/2.5, Kodachrome 64

50mm: get an f/1.4, either breechlock or nFD. You can't go wrong with this focal length and aperture. If you have room in your budget, the 55mm f/1.2 breechlock or the nFD 50mm f/1.2 are also excellent performers.

85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2.8: I own or have owned both of these in nFD mount. They are superb performers. The 85mm is especially sweet when used wide open. It's very sharp and provides nice bokeh. The 100mm is a very sharp, solid performer.

FD 135mm f/2.5 or nFD f/2.8 or f/3.5: all are excellent. I believe both of the nFD lenses are internal focusing. 135mm is a great focal length, I have found, for doing stand-off portraiture. Sometimes portraits turn out better when the photographer is positioned farther away from the subject.

FD 200mm f/2.8 or nFD 200mm f/2.8: Hoanpham mentioned above his problems with purple fringing with his copy. I bought my first nFD 200mm f/2.8 back in the mid-1980s, and I found that, when shooting in brightly lit situations, when there were hard lines, especially against brighter backgrounds, that all sorts of chromatic aberrations became obvious. With mine it was very strong green and magenta fringing and was strong enough to ruin photos. Nowadays this fringing can usually be gotten rid of, but back then the fringing caused me to toss a number of slides. Other than that, however, I found the 200/2.8 to be an excellent performer. When I was able to shoot under favorable lighting conditions, it provided me with some excellent shots. One quality of the nFD version that I liked that the breechlock version lacks is internal focusing. In fact, the nFD 200/2.8 exists in two versions, the latter of which had internal focusing.

Canon F-1, Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8, Kodachrome 64

Canon F-1, Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8, Kodachrome 64

A great, and much cheaper, alternative to the above is the nFD 200mm f/4. It is a very compact and lightweight lens. It has internal focusing. It is very sharp and lacks the problem with chromatic aberrations that the 200/2.8 has. I own a copy of this lens and I can recommend it.

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like all prime what I had, have.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have a plethora of Canon FD lenses and I agree with lightshows selections. (Except the tilt lens I can't say on that as I have not had the opportunity to use it.) But the FD lenses are generally ALL good (Except I have heard the 100-300 zoom is below Canon standards). As to breech lock verses nFD the breech system is VERY robust but it can be a pain. I have had lens caps and adapters get permanently stuck. The nFD seems far more user friendly, but the lenses just don't seem to be as elegant. (I like the old all metal/glass lenses the best personally). As to fast lenses the FD system is definitely the least expensive way to get for example a normal superfast like a 55mm 1.2 .

I agree, breech lock is very robust, but also a bit finicky, I find nFD to be quite inferior to breech lock, thin stamped metal parts just screamed cheap to me even if it's somewhat easier to mount, I still find it finicky, though I would still consider getting the L's, but I would want to do a mount conversion to EF on those, namely the 24/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L, 50-300L, 80-200L....

Last edited by Lightshow on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have recent or broad experience with Canon lenses. But one of my favorite lenses was the Canon FL 100mm f3.5. I kept it for decades after selling my Canon equipment, before finally passing it on. I suggest you check it out. Another member may have some recent and comparative information.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've been underwhelmed by most of the FD lenses I've owned ...

I agree with you about mechanical quality of the new FD lenses. They are prone to wear-and-tear, especially those primes that include zoom-like focusing threads
(sorry, i don't know the proper term in English). Examples are the nFD 2.8/24mm and 2/24mm, the 2/28mm, the 4/200mm and the
2.8/200mm. The optical quality of "ordinary" lenses is really OK (compared to similar lenses from the same time).

What makes the FD / new FD system fascinating is the extraordinarily broad range of lenses available. There's a 2.8/14mm L,
an 1.4/24mm L, a 2/24mm, an aspherical 1.2/50mm L and 1.2/ 55mm L, a 1.2/85mm L, a 2/100mm and 2/135mm, a
1.8/200mm L, an nearly perfect 2.8/300mm L, a 2.8/400mm L, an excellent 4.5/500mm L, and a 5.6/800mm L.
And a 3.5/20-35mm L. And a 4/80-200mm L, and a 5.6/100-300mm L, both with Fluorite lenses.
No other manufacturer has produced a comparable range of MF lenses. These lenses, at their time, simply were outstanding.

Stephan