Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD mount registry distance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Canon FD mount registry distance Reply with quote

Hello

I know the Canon FD mount registry distance is 42 mm. But would like to know how this is measured. Is it a distance to the plane A or plane B on the attached photo? Or may be something else? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question...

My guess: plane A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't registry distance measured on the camera from front of mount to front of film/sensor? that would be plane B. i may be wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...think it is the distance from the outside surface of the mount on the camera (where it contacts the lens) to the sensor plane , in this case B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plane "B" is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The register can be taken from the external surface of the camera mount to the sensor/film.

So the register, about the lens, can be taken from the surface of the mount of the lens that is opposite to the external surface of the camera mount, and then from "A".

I did it till now. Is it wrong?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are perfectly right, it is A.

B (the distance between bayonet rear and film plane) is more critical where mirror clearance is concerned, but it is no optical property of the lens system, but to some degree variable across mount generations and on lenses from third party manufacturers. It is a per-lens spec and no system-wide constant - as far as I know there are no published tables of bayonet-to-film-plane distances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a bit like a pub quiz question... Smile Now who is right?
I think 'B'. The bayonet on the FD is reversed isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD mount is a breech lock isn't? Reversed bayonet as Xpress says. So the distance between camera and lens is not made by the turning ring (A) but by the distance B, where lens construction and camera meet. How deep the glass (or mounting) of the lens is intruding in the cameramount and sometimes can touch the mirror is not concerning the same distance!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now a Spiratone 18/3.5 for FD projects in-focus Sun onto glossy white inkjet paper; plane B to paper is 42mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your voting Very Happy It seems indeed it is a plane B.

And, hey, siriusdogstar - it is ingenious way to check those things, thumbs up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Just now a Spiratone 18/3.5 for FD projects in-focus Sun onto glossy white inkjet paper; plane B to paper is 42mm.

That is a a great solution.