Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD Auto Bellows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Canon FD Auto Bellows Reply with quote

Hi,

with MF lenses and a bellow you will have a good chance for macro shots.

Recently I bought for few Euros a Canon FD Auto Bellows set in near unused condition. Both sides are with FD monut. For the lens side no problem, you will find a lot of FD lenses on the market. For the test shots below I have chosen the Canon FD 50mm macro with extension tube, but all other FD´s are also fine.

On the cam side I bought a cheap FD to EOS adapter without glass. Furthermore you need a (very) stable tripod and for the object light, light, light ......

This is a nice option to find with less money new aspects of our hobby.

Here 2 quick test shots:

engraving on a lens

key bit

and nice options to play with the light

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon Auto Bellows is a great piece of hardware. I used to own a set with the slide copier attachment. Very well made and stable.

I would have bought another set if I could have found it for reasonable. Sounds like you found a good deal. I haven't been able to yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Maybe a bit expensive?

Click here to see on Ebay
a bit cheaper but condition??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the eBay auctions are for the Canon Bellows FL, not the Auto Bellows. The Bellows FL requires manual stopping down of the lens to taking aperture. The Auto Bellows comes with a double cable release. One of the cables stops down the lens to taking aperture prior to exposure.

The Bellows FL is still a very good, and very useful tool. It is also very well made and rugged. The one in the top photo has the slide copier, which is a plus. As far as price, I've seen folks asking for more than that, and some less. If the auction closes at close to that price, I would consider it to be a fair price to pay. For me here in the US, though, the shipping's an extra $35. So that should be taken into account.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the education in the difference Very Happy ....so much to learn Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a price indicator - here in Germany between xx and xxx Euro.
I paid for mine xxx,00 Euro in near new condition
Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The Canon Auto Bellows is a great piece of hardware. I used to own a set with the slide copier attachment. Very well made and stable.

I would have bought another set if I could have found it for reasonable. Sounds like you found a good deal. I haven't been able to yet.

I fully agree, bought it many years ago new. After some years of usage some plastic parts came off and the fit between the rail and the front and rear plates are not that great anymore (too much slip) due to the plastic used. Metal would have been better though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I fully agree, bought it many years ago new. After some years of usage some plastic parts came off and the fit between the rail and the front and rear plates are not that great anymore (too much slip) due to the plastic used. Metal would have been better though.

Interesting. I owned mine only for about five years and sold it when I moved from Canon FD to Nikon. Mine obviously wasn't old enough yet to experience the age-related problems you're having. In this respect, it would seem that the Bellows FL would probably be the better investment then, since it's all metal -- except for the bellows, of course.