Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD and Minolta MD, Konica AR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Canon FD and Minolta MD, Konica AR Reply with quote

Any experience how can we use them properly on DSLR bodies ?

I know Konica lenses with a little modification usable on Olympus 4/3 and Minolta MD lenses too on E-1 without modification on other cameras need to modify the lens.

I never heard about Canon FD adapter...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Canon FD and Minolta MD you need to modify the mount. I have one-one copy and the back mount is replaced with the alternative mount (EOS). These modified lenses have infinity focus but you will meet the mirror problem with Canon 5D. I use Canon 20D, and there is no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this Canon 28mm off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220172530713

and now have it apart. It's proving almost impossible to modify, and is a newer "rear" design than a couple of other Canon FD's I've got.

Here's one I converted, if not somewhat amateur:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=7189

Canon FD lenses, are, in my opinion, very poor candidates for conversions where the original mount must be modified. This is because of the aperture mechanism, which is not simple to convert.

Minolta lenses are very simple, assuming that you can remove enough of the mount to gain the proper register, and still mount the new flange. However, it remains to be seen just how practical this really is. I'm no machinist, but I have spent my life in "mechanical" pursuits, and do have a small lathe. Even so, some of these are challenging.

My opinion is, that generally, the shorter the lens, the more difficult it is going to be to modify, simply because there's less room "back there" for changes.

Here's another project from "that other forum" which I think illustrates the problem. Sometimes the remaining part, when made thin enough for the infinity problem, is simply not strong enough!!

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=8640

Here's a third party Minolta MD--converted to Canon EF that I did. It really does not have much remaining thickness. It just so happened, that the construction of the mount--and the low price of the lens--made this work out

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=7990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post! I'm loving this forum Very Happy

about the Minolta MD... I have an adaptor to use with my KM 5D (Minolta A mount), BUT, the adaptor has an optical element...

The best camera for Minolta MD is still the Olympus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! From Rio? Nice to see you here! I hope you will publish many great photos from your beautiful home land!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ivan. A minolta fan in Rio - what a combo.

Attilas everything I have read on the subject suggests the two lens types you are looking at do not adapt very easily or well to anything, without a great deal of effort. Worth it?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!! Very Happy

so here's an example of my Vivitar 70-210 3.5 (Kiron version) in Minolta MD mount

there is nothing better than cats to test lenses...lol

what do you think of the quality? it's an adaptor with a glass element

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This adapter made by Leica ? Excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! This adapter made by Leica ? Excellent!

lol...it's only a generic adapter hehe

later I'll take photos with some Rokkors to see the result Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My generic Nikon adapter from Roxsen was super crap. Please publish seller of your adapter if bought on Ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:

so here's an example of my Vivitar 70-210 3.5 (Kiron version) in Minolta MD mount
there is nothing better than cats to test lenses...lolt

Great photos, i am now even more impatient for my Vivitar Series 1 70-21/3.5 (Kiron) in Nikon mount to arrive. Apparently it has left the UK and isn in France. Somewhere. taps foot impatiently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens indeed you will love it I am sure.