Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 85 f1.8 with EF mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Canon FD 85 f1.8 with EF mount Reply with quote

Hi to all..

That one was tricky a bit Wink but now it's OK ...

infinity spot on and clicks like should be..

little 'butchery' and done! Smile

a little improvement - the black plastic tube fills the gap between the adapter and rear retaining ring.

3 - INFINITY

4 - MINIMAL FOCUSING DISTANCE

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a converted lens or is it just and FD to EOS mount adapter?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trev - that's .. converted to EF mount

1 - all stops click
2 - infinity is spot on
3 - the lens can be maintained
4 - no glue whatsoever
5 - aperture manual only

the conversion is irreversible -

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks perfect Stan!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looks really professional!

But allow me a question: is it worth it with this lens?
I mean, what do I need to pay for an FD 1.8/85 in very good condition? €150,- ? And then the conversion which is surely not a laid-back job.

For 300something I can get a new EF 1.8/85. Don't get me wrong but do you think that the FD is much better than the EF?

I can understand it if someone already owns this lens and has the conversion done, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to know this too Stan.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucis and Rolf

1 - this is not my lens and someone else simply asked for conversion -- I do not know the value of that purchase -- it could have been EUR 150 it could have been a few quids..

I really do not know as I have not tried any EF lens except one -- and I sold it -- I must say - thanks to God I sold it! Smile

hard to say -- I think we do have a long discussions regarding modern and older lenses - especially manual ones ..

The good thing on the manual lenses is their SPIRIT - and unfortunately one disadvantage is going to be - PRICE

speaking for this lens -- I have got 85 f1.2 L (that's a killer for sure!) I used to have Contax Planar 1.4/85 (sold it -- stupid me!) I have got Prakticar 1.8/80 (aka Pancolar 1.8/80) - truly amazing lens with superb performance and this went through my mind: I must have got enough 85 lenses!

well -- probably not! Smile

all of them have different character ..

Lucis and Rolf - my first thought was the same -- do I actually need this one? FD 80 f1.8?

My answer is -- yes -- it's a superb lens with fantastic colour rendition and great bokeh -- they say it has TRUE COLOURS and I am getting worried that's true..

have a look at this gallery - all shots are wide open as I hadn't done the aperture at that stage!

Another question is - do we actually something similar which has been re-issued in AF version --- like Canon 135 f2, Canon 85 f1.2 L Canon 100 f2 an bla bla --

I can assure you guys that the FD spirit is different from EF autofocus version despite the fact the EF versions have been improved enough ..

But handling this beauty, (FD 85 f1.8 is actually very small and perfectly fits into bag!) and 'testing' them on EOS 5DMkII is amazing experience..

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE.

and those colours are simply outstanding!!! -- please, take closer look at red tones -- they're rendered almost in perfection.

it's a gem -- but do not broadcast this too much.. Wink

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those images are truly amazing!!

The reason why I asked is that there are merely three reasons for me to buy manual lenses:

1. Price
2. Outstanding quality
3. Haptics

If an MF lens is not much cheaper (#1) than an AF-equivalent, it has to be much better, optically (#2) or the other way around.
Some lenses lenses win because of their built and their "feel" (#3).

But if an MF lens is neither cheaper, nor optically better, nor has it the special "feel", I think I would go for the same priced AF-equivalent with a similar performance.

I did not know about the performance of that FD 1.8/85, I just know that the EF 1.8/85 is an amazing lens. And thus I wondered.

But, as I said, the images you show, indicate that the FD 1.8/85 is a gem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another winner there - both the lens and the conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, can you please share the conversion details? I own two of these little beauties (bought them 2 years ago for 60€ each) and I'm planning to convert them too.
Your great photos motivated me, to do it finally.