Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 35mm f/3.5 disassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Canon FD 35mm f/3.5 disassembly Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and it's my first post. Appreciate any help that i can get.

I've recently gotten an FD 35mm f/3.5 breechlock lens that has haze in it. I've tried looking on google but it seems not a lot of people have this lens.

Was wondering how i can remove the nameplate? It seems like the only way to do it is to unscrew it. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a "FD 35mm 1:3.5" (chrome nose, no "S.C." marking) or a "FD 35mm 1:3.5 S.C." lens? Both are breech lock lenses.

For the chrome nose version I can confirm that the name plate screws out. For the "S.C." version I don't know for sure. But with other breech lock "S.C." lenses (e.g. FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., FD 28mm 1:2.8 S.C.) the name plate is clipped and glued.

Smartphone repair toolkits offer a handy selection of plastic tools for prying out name plates. I have had success breaking loose the glue by turning the name plate with a rubber wrench (requires quite some force). Applying a drop or two of a solvent (e.g. Naphtha or Windex) between the name plate and the filter thread may also help.

Be aware that cleaning inner lens elements is a delicate job. The coating of inner lenses is a lot softer than the outer elements' coatings and is scratched very easily even by a very gentle wipe. During disassembly mark the original position of all parts.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe mine is the chrome nose version as it does not have any S.C. marking.

Okay now that i know it screws out, what is the best way for me to do it? I tried doing it by hand but obviously the plate is very tightly screwed in. Do i have to go out and buy some rubber mat and put some plastic tube on it? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome gun jammed

Yes, rubber dam with plastic tube, or rubber sink plug, or proper tool such as

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunjamed wrote:
I believe mine is the chrome nose version as it does not have any S.C. marking.

Okay now that i know it screws out, what is the best way for me to do it? I tried doing it by hand but obviously the plate is very tightly screwed in. Do i have to go out and buy some rubber mat and put some plastic tube on it? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a pair of rubber washing-up gloves under the kitchen sink? Put them on, put a thumb either side of the name ring and turn anti-clockwise.

Then later purchase some proper tools per visualopsins.

If nothing works (you shouldn't be forcing anything), you can usually drop some wd40 between the name ring and the lens barrel. That's where the threads are. Do not spray the wd40 in. I spray into the cap then dip a Q-tip in to it, and roll that around the edge of the name ring. Were talking very small amounts. Give it a couple of days to work through, trying from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thank you for the advice, i will try it and will get back to you guys. Unfortunately it's 2am here and will try tomorrow when there is more daylight.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a breech-lock mount lens the name plate should be threaded. However, every once in a while I run into a Canon on which the name plate simply won't budge, no matter what I do.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing is not budging at all! rubber gloves didn't do the trick, i have a cylinder which is a good size for the name plate and it also wouldn't budge! I'm wondering if this thing would move at all

this is the lens, am i mistaken on what i said above?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 135 nFD which there was no way to remove that same front ring. Finally, I made to little holes with Dremel on the opposite sides. This lens was in bad shape ,so I didn't care much. Try with wd40 for some days, might need some patience , if still don't work , with a soldering iron tip ,try to heat it up, might loose finally. It's a nice lens, so better treat it with patience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the haze, if normal cleaning won't take it if, might try cerium oxide. I've read about a guy (profesional ) that is using it like the last alternative to remove haze. I'll try to get some asap, and test it.