Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 2.8/28 - a true sleeper
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Canon FD 2.8/28 - a true sleeper Reply with quote

This often overlooked 28mm is simply wonderful.
I took it with me today on an afternoon outing.
Here are some results
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures! Which version of the Canon 28mm f2.8 is this? If it's just 'FD28 f/2.8' (not S.C.) does that mean it is new FD version?

nFD 28mm f2.8
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/nfd203.html

FD 28mm f2.8 SC
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/fd136.html

I don't see other versions listed. I note that both of these are 7G/7E lenses. I wonder if the optical design is actually different.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Great pictures! Which version of the Canon 28mm f2.8 is this? If it's just 'FD28 f/2.8' (not S.C.) does that mean it is new FD version?

nFD 28mm f2.8
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/nfd203.html

FD 28mm f2.8 SC
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/fd136.html

I don't see other versions listed. I note that both of these are 7G/7E lenses. I wonder if the optical design is actually different.

Mark

Thanks Mark.
This is the older SC version - I should have included that in the title.
I think that the optics are the same - only the coatings different - but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot from this under-rated lens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp and vibrant. For some reason, the 'rep' of the FD 28mm f/2.8 is that it's mediocre. And its competitors are more sought after.
So, when I found a S.C. version for little money, I thought I'd see for myself.
The results were similar to yours. Very satisfying results, very clean, sharp and colorful. Perhaps the nFD isn't as good.
I'll say that the build quality is very good for the older all-metal S.C. The body is larger than most 28mm too. I'm glad I picked one up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Very sharp and vibrant. For some reason, the 'rep' of the FD 28mm f/2.8 is that it's mediocre. And its competitors are more sought after.
So, when I found a S.C. version for little money, I thought I'd see for myself.
The results were similar to yours. Very satisfying results, very clean, sharp and colorful. Perhaps the nFD isn't as good.
I'll say that the build quality is very good for the older all-metal S.C. The body is larger than most 28mm too. I'm glad I picked one up.

I think that the FDn is just as good and of course it has better coatings.
For some reason this lens is overlooked in favour of the 2/28.
For what they sell for, the FD and FDn 2.8/28's are a bargain in my view.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very tight crop of an image shot at f2.8
It is almost a 100% crop and look at the detail.
Seriously good resolving power in this lens for sure.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great results! Thanks for confirming the details of which lens you have.

My Metabones speedbooster is in FD mount (to m4/3) because it allowed me to use with the biggest range of other mounts. I did make my own Olympus OM to Fd adapter, but the prongs on the back of my OM 28mm f2.8 lens come scarily close to the glass of the Speedbooster. I therefore thought about getting an FD 28mm f2.8, which would give me 20mm F2 with the SB.

Seeing these results I am tempted to get the S.C. version you have. But the nFD will, I guess, have better coatings and Ffordes Photo in Scotland have a shed load of nFD as unused 'new old' stock. They are a bit pricey for this lens (49), but not to bad for a dealer and unused. Decisions, decisions........

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Really great results! Thanks for confirming the details of which lens you have.

My Metabones speedbooster is in FD mount (to m4/3) because it allowed me to use with the biggest range of other mounts. I did make my own Olympus OM to Fd adapter, but the prongs on the back of my OM 28mm f2.8 lens come scarily close to the glass of the Speedbooster. I therefore thought about getting an FD 28mm f2.8, which would give me 20mm F2 with the SB.

Seeing these results I am tempted to get the S.C. version you have. But the nFD will, I guess, have better coatings and Ffordes Photo in Scotland have a shed load of nFD as unused 'new old' stock. They are a bit pricey for this lens (�49), but not to bad for a dealer and unused. Decisions, decisions........

Mark

I don't think that you will go wrong with the nFD.
It is the same optically as far as I know, and it has better coatings.
On top of that it is lighter.
If the lenses that you are looking at are new old stock, then that is another bonus.
Where else can you buy a brand new lens for �49
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...do you think the FDn 28/2.8 will be any good in comparison of a kit lens 18-55mm (f/3.5-5.6) on an APS-C (Canon M3) ? ...so far I've bought a 58mm (Helios M44-7 f2) and a 100mm f2.8 (Olympus Zuiko); quite happy with the results and I'm outside of the focal range of the kit lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedricb wrote:
...do you think the FDn 28/2.8 will be any good in comparison of a kit lens 18-55mm (f/3.5-5.6) on an APS-C (Canon M3) ? ...so far I've bought a 58mm (Helios M44-7 f2) and a 100mm f2.8 (Olympus Zuiko); quite happy with the results and I'm outside of the focal range of the kit lens.

Modern kit lenses are remarkably good and serve as a very good walk around lens. What you will gain at the 28mm focal length is speed. The kit lens at 28mm will have a maximum aperture of around f4. This is full stop slower than the 28mm at its maximum aperture.
At f2.8 the lens is perfectly usable and can produce some interesting bokeh under the right circumstances.
Furthermore the lens can be found quite cheaply.
If you find one for a good price then go for it.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the FD 28mm f3.5 which might be even cheaper these days and often wondered why there were two versions..was one before the other or f3.5 was for joe public and the f2.8 for more advanced amateur\pros.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I have the FD 28mm f3.5 which might be even cheaper these days and often wondered why there were two versions..was one before the other or f3.5 was for joe public and the f2.8 for more advanced amateur\pros.

Wide angle lenses on SLRs require the design to be retrofocal or they cant reach infinity focus. It took optical designers a while to master retrofocal designs (pre computer aids) and, since it is always easier to design a good slow lens than a good fast one, it was common for the first 28mm lenses to be f3.5. The Canon Camera Museum shows the first FD 28mm was the f3.5 launched in 1971, whilst the f2.8 followed in 1975. Since the slower version would be optically simpler, they were often retained along side the faster versions for less wealthy customers. Eventually, the f3.5 would be either dropped or retained as a budget version whilst a super fast F2 would become the premium choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I don't think that you will go wrong with the nFD.
It is the same optically as far as I know, and it has better coatings.
On top of that it is lighter.
If the lenses that you are looking at are new old stock, then that is another bonus.
Where else can you buy a brand new lens for 49
Cheers
OH

Sound advice. It is too easy to get hung up about a few quid (or dollars or whatever). A pristine lens is its own reward. Once I clear this months credit card bill I'll be ordering one of those 'new' nFD 28mm lenses.
Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Wide angle lenses on SLRs require the design to be �retrofocal� or they can�t reach infinity focus. It took optical designers a while to master retrofocal designs (pre computer aids) and, since it is always easier to design a good slow lens than a good fast one, it was common for the first 28mm lenses to be f3.5. The Canon Camera Museum shows the first FD 28mm was the f3.5 launched in 1971, whilst the f2.8 followed in 1975. Since the slower version would be optically simpler, they were often retained along side the faster versions for less wealthy customers. Eventually, the f3.5 would be either dropped or retained as a budget version whilst a super fast F2 would become the premium choice.

h'mm looking on the bay the f3.5 ver is not going cheap...maybe the collectors want them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the 2.8/28 I had, it had weak corners and strong CA on high contrast edges away from the centre. Didn't think it was a bad lens, but not better than cheap third party options like Vivitar or Ensinor. Of course, my sampling was just one copy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pictures from today with this lens
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those last samples are really nice, they have a 3D quality to them. Obviously the one I had was a lemon. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian.
Here is one more from the way home.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and interesting pictures Thomas!

I was not lucky with the excellent copy of the FD SC 28/2.8,,but the nFD prooved to be a good little one. Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I bet the prices on these will start rising soon enough =X

Very sharp wide open, can't improve much after stopping down otherwise it'll cut your eye balls haha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
Very nice and interesting pictures Thomas!

I was not lucky with the excellent copy of the FD SC 28/2.8,,but the nFD prooved to be a good little one. Happy Dog

Thank you both for your comments.
These images were taken with the FD 28mm f2.8 SC
Cheers
OH