Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 24mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

I haven't done any research on this lens yet, but I have not come across a bad FD prime so far so I just assumed it can't be bad.
It does not say SC or SSC on the name ring but it does have a breech lock.
Is this one earlier than SC or came it between SSC and new FD.

Taken right against the sun with a FD 135mm F2.5 on which I forgot to extend the hood so FLAAAARE Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is chrome nose version, which means an earlier one, prior to SSC. It's a very good lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, thank you. I guess I need to find a matching hood for it then.

a couple of first test shots

wide open

f8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one the same as this and although it's quite heavy it can be forgiven as it is a stellar performer.
Sharp from wide open.

Couple shots on A7

100% crop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images are very nice.

What is the CA rendering of the fd 24/2,8?

Should be good to find a 24 mm lens with low or not CA.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC and with mine the CA is non-existent. It's a great lens. Outperforms my Nikkor AI 24mm f/2.8 (corner sharpness is better).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get some CA with this all day and have to say that it's low to none.
wonderful lens.
Now to test corners and distortion. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens shows outstanding results.
One of the great lenses for sure.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!, yeah I have a soft spot for the chrome nose FD's, I should finish collecting the chrome set, I got sidetracked by finding good deals on some SSC versions.

FL, FD(chrome nose) FD(SSC), nFD.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of images from a little outing this afternoon.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples!
I have the SSC version and find it quite good, the contrast and colors are not as vivid as from my other FD lenses (55 asph and 35 TS) but they do look subtle and natural. I find it's flare resistance is very good and it's sharp at about the APS-C zone from wide open, and progressively gets better towards the corners on stopping down, but minde needs f/11 to get perfect corners on Sony A7, is that normal for all samples of this lens? Mine also often seems to get cooler colors on stopping down, but I have more lenses that do this, perhaps it's just the way the auto white balance meters..

Some samples from the last couple of weeks:

#1 (To stay with the cow theme!)

#3 (this one is slightly edited because it is at f/11 to get perfect corners but it becomes a bit dull without PP from diffraction)

#9 (this one is with an old lineair polarisation filter (B+W 55E top-pol), it does vignet a bit at all apertures, which I find a bit strange, but gives great colors and doesn't seem to induce extra flare)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, as a point of reference, chrome nose fd's do overlap with ssc's, I have the 55my f1.2 ssc with chrome nose. I think I read somewhere that back in those days they would use up what parts they had laying around when assembling lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really a fine piece of glass!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the S.S.C. version and love it. It is tack sharp. I also have the 50mm 1.4 S.S.C and 35mm FDn. All are fantastic lenses. Here is a shot taken with the 24mm 2.8 S.S.C.

DSC00455 by James Poupard, on Flickr

And a color shot from a slightly different perspective (slightly cropped):
DSC00458_1 by James Poupard, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a polish coach with nickname " Ogorek " which means ' cucumber".
FDn 24mm 2,8 at f11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello to all members , sory for my bad English , i join MF Lens today i have also a great piece of a fd 24/2.8 SSC , nice lens !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marino24 wrote:
hello to all members , sory for my bad English , i join MF Lens today i have also a great piece of a fd 24/2.8 SSC , nice lens !

Welcome! It seems you have a nice collection of 24mm lenses. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes small but nice , is possible to puth the flikr picture link here , i have some sample with 24/2.8 ssc lens ther !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://flic.kr/p/zgDqCY
https://flic.kr/p/z6A58h
https://flic.kr/p/znSz6k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can click the share button in the photo, select the BBCode and place it here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice collection, can you post some pictures from the 24/1.4L, I'd like to compare it with my SSC 24/1.4, thanks.
On a side note, it really helps us collectors if you tag your pictures with the lens info, like I did to mine, or make an album for each lens.
And if you add " " to the info it stays as a group of words, and not separated into individual tags, for example"FD SSC 24/2.8" becomes one tag, not 3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koen... #1 and #9 FANTABOULUS..fantastic & faboulus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys , i need to learn more about how to move inside of this wonderfull site so sorry if i do soe stupid mistake !
Lightshow you hae the old breachlock version of 24/1.4 ?
this one was make it at f/1.4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is a confrontation of my 3 24mm lens
first one the zuiko 24/2.8 all of them are f/8 iso 100

second is the fd 24/1.4
and last one the fd 24/2.8