Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Eos - Magic Lantern addons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Canon Eos - Magic Lantern addons Reply with quote

Purpose of this topic is to share experience with the software addons "Magic Lantern" available only for several Canon Eos Dslr.
Please post samples, advice, tricks about features.

I know Gary, aka Sonicscott, uses it quite much for his photos : focus peaking, trap focus, advanced HDR, intervalometer and other features.
We both think Magic Lantern is worth his own topic for MF lenses Canon Eos owners.

Poilu showed us interests of Magic Lantern for macro shots :
http://forum.mflenses.com/focus-peaking-macro-test-on-5dii-with-magic-lantern-firmware-t48044,highlight,%2Bmagic+%2Blantern.html

He explained very well the Magic Lanterns addons :
magic lantern is a hack who add features to Canon dslr
in the begin, it was for video features like audio control, zebras for luminosity or setup for blue screen
as it is open source, many features have been added and it is interesting also for photography
a stable version is available for free, with a small donation you can access beta version
this soft will certainly be improved, magic lantern is even able to defish and preview the samyang 8mm in real time
if you can, give a small donation to help developers

magic lantern boot from the compact flash, if the CF is not prepared, the dslr work normally
if you don't use the latest betas, nothing can go wrong
if something should block, just remove the battery to reset everything

my macros test the focus peak mode
the window zoom mode or Canon 5x-10x mode are more precise than the peak mode
but if you want more than 1 zone in focus, you need a tripod otherwise focusing 1 zone will put the others zone oof
with peak mode you can see what is in focus for the whole screen
it is not precise as optical manual focusing but it is more accessible to non trained photographers
also work at F11 and more is a challenge with OVF if the lens doesn't have coupled aperture
focusing with peak mode is like flying on instrument vs visual
zone in focus turn red but sometimes slightly oof also turn red or focused don't turn red if there is not enough sharp edges
you will still miss shots but it is a nice addon to have

for non macro use, it will work better a wide aperture, otherwise you get red dots everywhere
the zoom window is more practical, you frame all the subject and use the zoom to focus the head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of Canon cameras that can use Magic Lantern is as follows:
5Dc, 5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 500D (T1i), 550D (T2i), 600D (T3i), 650D (T4i), 700D (T5i), 1100D (T3), EOS M, 100D (SL1)

There are some models, including the 7D, which have a beta or alpha version of the firmware which is still in development. Eventually it is hoped they will all become full version ports. I use the alpha2 version on my 7D and it's probably 75% complete.

The focussing aids alone are a good enough reason for MF users to try this out, we all know that NEX users, for example, enjoy the benefit of focus peaking, well now Canon users can enjoy this too.

Check out the homepage here http://www.magiclantern.fm/ the first image shows the rear of a Canon camera where you can use the arrow buttons to scroll through the Magic Lantern menu. The rest of the page gives all the basic information about this firmware.

REMEMBER, this firmware runs alongside Canon's, it does not interfere with Canon's at all. You always have access to Canon's menu, just like you always have. After installing Magic Lantern you just gain an extra menu (accessible by pressing the 'trash' button). Any features you don't wish to use can be turned off via the menu.

Here's a bunch of videos on YouTube showing various aspects of Magic Lantern http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magic+lantern+tutorial&oq=magic+lantern+tutorial&gs_l=youtube.3..0l8j0i5l2.1216.3460.0.3804.9.9.0.0.0.0.89.756.9.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.jTbWEpOMp0k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across a very simple and clear video on how to install Magic Lantern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXha5arV6-Q&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since few weeks I have Magic Lantern on my 60D, after having discovered it has focus peaking. Although not perfect, it is really a good aid in manual focusing.
Since much more time I have Magic Lantern ancestor, CHDK, on my compacts - mostly for RAW output. On my extra cheap A1200 the RAW provides some more room for denoising, although one somewhat unexpected fact is that there is a lot of barrel distortion correction on camera that gets lost when shooting RAW.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version (2.3) on their website is not for 5D classic? Anyone know what i can do or where i can download this for the 5Dc? Because on the front page of the site it's listed....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
The latest version (2.3) on their website is not for 5D classic? Anyone know what i can do or where i can download this for the 5Dc? Because on the front page of the site it's listed....

The latest version for the 5D classic is a Beta4 available here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1010.0
There are a lot of features available considering it's a beta. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried several times to install magic lantern on my 5Dc without any success, I've followed the instructions and video as they said but nothing. Anyone that can give me some advice? (I've downloaded and installed the official latest firmware several times, and the beta version of ML too).

When I try to install, the blue led keeps flashing instead of being on all the time, when I restart the camera, in fact the capture of the image is incomplete and the resolution affected, after a clean install of the canon firmware everything gets back to normal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it. I have just installed ML for 5Dc. It worked. Now, I will try to find out what I can do with it. Wink

How does focus peaking in review work??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I did it. I have just installed ML for 5Dc. It worked. Now, I will try to find out what I can do with it. Wink

Trying to rub it on my face???? Wink

How you manage to do it? Standard procedure as described on the webpage?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
I've tried several times to install magic lantern on my 5Dc without any success, I've followed the instructions and video as they said but nothing. Anyone that can give me some advice? (I've downloaded and installed the official latest firmware several times, and the beta version of ML too).

When I try to install, the blue led keeps flashing instead of being on all the time, when I restart the camera, in fact the capture of the image is incomplete and the resolution affected, after a clean install of the canon firmware everything gets back to normal.

I don't own a 5Dc so can't speak from experience, but...
Once you are sure the Canon firmware is the correct version you should format the memory card in the camera.
Place the memory card into your card reader (a card reader is essential) and extract everything from the ML download to the memory card.
Memory card back into camera, wait for start up to settle down, then run firmware update, again allow everything to finish running.
Press the 'trash' button to see the ML menu.
If you see the blue light flashing it means ML is disabled, just run the firmware update again with the memory card loaded with ML.
Any good? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Trying to rub it on my face???? Wink

How you manage to do it? Standard procedure as described on the webpage?

Sorry, didn't want to upset you.

I formated the CF-card, copied the files to it, turned the 5D on, chose Firmware-Update, waited, turned the 5D off, removed the battery, put it back in again, turned the 5D on, pressed "trash" buttton ... voilá.

You do have the original Canon firmware 1.1.1, right?
Do you use a card bigger than 8 GB? Try a smaller one. Format it in the cam.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LucisPictor"][quote="inombrable"]
LucisPictor wrote:

Sorry, didn't want to upset you.

Just kidding,

I've done all you have mentioned before already but nothing worked, i will do it again now and see if i have better luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now it worked !!!!

let's see what can we do with it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Well, now it worked !!!!

let's see what can we do with it

Yaah!!! Very Happy
Congrats, have fun.