Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS AF confirmation chip quick test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS AF confirmation chip quick test Reply with quote

Setup:

Camera: Canon 350D, installed on a tripod with remote control

Lens A: Yashica 5cm F2 m42 with
AF1: Big_is cheap AF chip with focal length set to 100mm(EXIF:100mm) installed in Big_is m42->eos adaptor.
AF2: Oldest Optix chip with no aperture adjustment installed in a high quality m42->eos adaptor (EXIF:50mm).

Lens B: Rollei 50mm F1.8 HFT with
AF3: "No name" AF chip with a certain degree of micro-adjustment calibration(EXIF:35mm)
(The AF chip is sticked to the rollei conversion adaptor and I cannot take it apart)

The Big_is and old Optix chip does not support micro-adjustment calibration. The "No name" AF chip is calibrated before the test(I cannot assure it is well calibrated).

The distance of the camera to the test object is about 0.6 meters. All photos is shot at full open with a shutter speed of 1/100s.

The focus ring is turn slowly from MFD to 0.6 meters/ from Infinity to 0.6 meters until the AF confirm appears. Two photos is taken from each setup and the best/sharpest one is used.

All the phots is trimmed from 8MPs Raw file in Canon Digital Photo Professional to Jpeg with image quality=8. The EXIF data is maintained.

Test:

The AF point is as follows. I tried to maintain it for all the photos.(Update:The AF3 will always record the Centre AF )

Yashica 5cm @F2 + AF1 from MFD to 0.6 meters

Yashica 5cm @F2 + AF1 from Infinity to 0.6 meters

Yashica 5cm @F2 + AF2 from MFD to 0.6 meters

Yashica 5cm @F2 + AF2from Infinity to 0.6 meters

Rollei 50mm @F1.8 + AF3(calibrated) from MFD to 0.6 meters

Rollei 50mm @F1.8 + AF3(calibrated) Infinity MFD to 0.6 meters

Note:
1.This quick test is not done by a professional tester.

Time to sleep now. Smile

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend anyone looking to get an EF->M42 adapter to get one with an EMF chip. It's only a few quid more and you can change all the settings including AF confirm micro adjustment Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I would highly recommend anyone looking to get an EF->M42 adapter to get one with an EMF chip. It's only a few quid more and you can change all the settings including AF confirm micro adjustment Smile

One adaptor, one lens. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i can't setup ( i tried !!!!! ) the Contax EOS adapter i deal without focus confirm, and does not feel the urge to got it. As for M42 adapter it's without AF confirm, focusing is quite easy on the 5D Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Since i can't setup ( i tried !!!!! ) the Contax EOS adapter i deal without focus confirm, and does not feel the urge to got it. As for M42 adapter it's without AF confirm, focusing is quite easy on the 5D Cool

The focusing screen of 5D is much larger thant these low end models.Wink

The AF confirm works better when focus from infinity to the object distance in this test. Anyone have similar experience?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The AF confirm works better when focus from infinity to the object distance in this test. Anyone have similar experience?

Yes, that is my experience as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've found with AF chips & EOS cameras is they aren't worth the bother.

The problem I find is that there is such a range that it will confirm at. Mine are mainly BIG-IS chips.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The only thing I've found with AF chips & EOS cameras is they aren't worth the bother.

The problem I find is that there is such a range that it will confirm at. Mine are mainly BIG-IS chips.

I use the AF confirm adapter for quick focus, and my eye for fine tuning. One thing to remember is that the red square only gives an indication of "near focus". It is only when the green AF sign comes up in the viewfinder that the camera thinks focus is achieved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I use the AF confirm adapter for quick focus, and my eye for fine tuning. One thing to remember is that the red square only gives an indication of "near focus". It is only when the green AF sign comes up in the viewfinder that the camera thinks focus is achieved.

The same to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Yes, that is my experience as well.

I did a quick test using a ruler and I found the same too. Going from close to the object I have backfocus, from infinity to the object focus is more centered. However, in this situation how an EMF chip could help? If I correct for backfocus, what occurs when focusing from infinity?
(I know the answer: since I just received an EMF adapter, I have to embark the long programming and try by myself Wink )