Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon AE1 Program repair and lenses info
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Canon AE1 Program repair and lenses info Reply with quote

Hi all.

My old Canon AE1 program is in dire need of a good service and possibly a mini refurb...the rangefinder mirror and the lower mirror are both badly scratched and could do with replacing as is the protective foam....although it still has a stunningly good shutter action and no bad squeaky noises...

I will never ever get rid of it or try to get a better condition model as this was my grandads for 25 years and it will go nowhere! I live in manchester , England and I dunno if there are any trustworthy places I can take her ( all my things have a sex by the way..lol ) to have her properly repaired without worry?

Also can anybody reccomend the best places to get accessory products..i'd like to eventually get an auto winder and i won't the extra grip one can have over the battery compartment and a new viewfinder rubber and and the original case is lookin abit used to say the least!!

My main thing though is lenses...I bought a very cheap tamron 28 - 80 zoom lens but to be honest it was terrible...the camera has always taken great pics and i have the very basic 28mm wide angle and 50mm normal lense that was purchased in 1981 with the camera....we've always been very pleased with the pictures but a bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..damn the interweb!!!!

So I am looking for suggestions of good quality FD lenses...as in my DSLR thread right now i am looking for bang for buck...so the cheapest i can pay for half decent IQ...I am far more careful composing my pics with film due to the extra cost but i intend to use it regularly once it's repaired!

I know i can improve on my wide angle lens and normal lense .. would it be an idea to go super wide angle or stick with 28mm.

I'd like a good macro lens so that would be 100 or 150mm ish??? And a nice telephoto say 300mm or 400mm would go down well...

I wont buy all at once i am hoping to get one every 2 months or so Smile

however i am unsure of whether to get a zoom lens when i am looking for a light pack size....quality wise is it worth buying one...i was thinking a 28 - 80 sort of size and a 100 to 300 or something similair..i really don't know..

any suggestions as usual greatly appreciated...cheap is the name of the game without loseing too much IQ....once i have had some good praccy and more money available i'll ask the same question for more expensive lenses Wink

incidentally...all the electronics and metering on this work perfectly...and this is besides the years of heavy use and being dropped down a 1500ft mountain in its early life...thats build quality for you..i'll never ever sell it Smile

i just hope we'll still be able to get films in the future Sad

CHeers.

Buzz

( p.s. apologise for waffling Sad )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winder on ebay now about 3h to go:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130556259663&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops..i missed this by 20 mins!!! doh..thanks for the heads up though Smile

Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always loads of FD stuff at the Wolverhampton Camera Fair, a blast down the M6 from Manchester.

http://www.wolverhamptoncamerafair.co.uk/

I keep pimping the camera fair, but I have nothing to do with it. I just enjoy going and buying loads of stuff that I probably shouldn't.

I've got a very tidy AE1p and some accessories and lenses etc but it's got the dreaded squeaky shutter. So I'm going to get brave and service it so I can use it again, I sold an A1 and bought the AE1p because I preferred the simplicity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's wierd..mine has been used hard over many years but has never had this squeak you speak of..mind you i've probably put my foot in it now..lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that regular use is the best way to prevent the squeak. Mine has been unused for a few years and only squealed when I came to use it again.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html

http://jetbutterfly.web.fc2.com/camera/e_squeak.html

This is the best information I've found so far, has anyone tried either of these methods, and has anyone got any ideas about which method is the best ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Rick Oleson's method for my AV1, but the top was easy to remove on this model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just tried the other method, going in from the bottom plate with the extension pipe on an aerosol can, and it worked perfectly.
I used an electrical demoisturising lubricant that I've used on other delicate stuff before, it leaves a very light silicone film so it should be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of a guy going in through the bottom with a syringe -- the top video:

http://aldo-net.com/Canon/

Here's also a message I found in the APUG archive that discusses an even easier way to do it:

(by John Koehrer, 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM)
Anyway, remove the lens. There are four screws visible on the front plate, remove them and lift the plate straight off.
The lens mounting ring has four screws holding it on. Remove the TOP LEFT screw. The mirror governor is just under this hole. with your oiler 2-3mm into the hole and angled away from the mirror box apply a drop of oil. Work the shutter several times and as the oil flows downward it will lube the shafts. Put all the screws back & you're good to go.

Then there's this guy on eBay who sells a kit with instructions:
Click here to see on Ebay

I have two A-1s and one AE-1P. The AE-1P is still fine but both A-1s squeak. I'm gonna try John Koehrer's method first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ran a roll through mine, probably the first time the AE1p has had a film through it for at least 7 or 8 years, and the squeal has gone. Very Happy

And what a joy the AE1p is to use, I can see me getting back into film again. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 2 films to process then i can see whether it is useable in the short term or desperate for a refurb..fingers crossed for me Smile