Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 50/1.4 vs Minolta 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

Corner:
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4 SSC. Corner at F1.4:

I don't recall Takumar's having SSC coatings... Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamR wrote:
The 50mm 1.4 fl is a great lens..love the build and handling though on mine the focus is pretty stiff.

Agree completely.
A very much under-rated lens IMHO and splendidly made.
Off topic, but I find the FL 1.8/50 to be a slightly better performer than the FD 1.8/50 but I don't know why as they are supposed to be the same optics.
However, back to the FL 1.4/50
Even with its minimal coatings it performs excellently
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]
GrahamR wrote:
The 50mm 1.4 fl is a great lens..love the build and handling though on mine the focus is pretty stiff.

Agree completely.
A very much under-rated lens IMHO and splendidly made.
Off topic, but I find the FL 1.8/50 to be a slightly better performer than the FD 1.8/50 but I don't know why as they are supposed to be the same optics.
However, back to the FL 1.4/50
Even with its minimal coatings it performs excellently
Tom

That's good to know about the 1.8,i had my eye on one recently because i was curious to see what the rendering would be like.
How is it compared to the FL 1.4?

I have the Fd ssc 1.8 and really don't like that plasticky build..i guess i got spoiled as i started with the FL and the build is magnificient.

Might have to definitely pick up a 1.8 FL now..

50MM FL ll 1.4
[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 50/1.4, now RF Coupled by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The focus on mine is very smooth. I did not relube the helical. This lens was ~$30, the minolta 50/1.4 was $40. I also picked up a Konica 50/1.7 and RF coupled it. It is very, very good- equal to a Summicron.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

The focus on mine is very smooth. I did not relube the helical. This lens was ~$30, the minolta 50/1.4 was $40. I also picked up a Konica 50/1.7 and RF coupled it. It is very, very good- equal to a Summicron.

Which is? the canon, minolta or konica..i had the choice of Konica hexanon 50mm 1.4 and minolta Pg 50mm 1.4 went for the konica in the end as i like that konica look and wanted to compare it to my konica 57mm 1.4.

Never seen that FL on a leica body..sweet look.

Any comparison shots vs the summicron ? Like Dog Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $30 for the Canon 50/1.4 FL mount.

I bought the Konica 50/1.4 as well- but did not convert it to M-Mount. The Konica 50/1.7 was not hard to convert, and was ~$20. The latter compares well with a Summicron.

konica_a by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

leica_a by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Canon conversion- lots of hacking.

Canon 50/1.4 FL by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

RF cam made from a cut-up leg of a broken tripod and a retaining ring. Lots of trial and error filing and copper tape on the underside for fine-tuning the RF calibration.