Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can this be cleaned?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: can this be cleaned? Reply with quote

need a rather quick answer...can it be cleaned? if it can i'll go for it and buy it , it's rather cheap , and clean it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe with some cold cream, but not sure at 100 % ... Do you have an idea about how long the lens has lasted in such conditions ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends really on many factors. None of my repairmen is able to say when I show him a lens, if it will be possible to clean it.

It depends, if the fungus is on the coating, in the coating or between the coating and glass. And it also depends on the way of cleaning. One of the servicemen is able to remove fraction of the coating layer, which is damaged, and retain the rest, which is fine. But it works only if the coating is solid and fungus is on it, not between the glass and coating...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only get this lens if really, really cheap (under $10). While mold on the front glass may be cleanable, you have no way of knowing whether the rest of the lens is affected. Zooms are a pain to fix except of simple things (like removing and cleaning the front glass for example). If uncleanable, at least you'll have a source of small screws and springs - they'll come handy when fixing your next lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I would only get this lens if really, really cheap (under $10).

it's about 16$ , it's tokina made vivitar 70-210mm/3.5

aoleg wrote:
While mold on the front glass may be cleanable, you have no way of knowing whether the rest of the lens is affected. Zooms are a pain to fix except of simple things (like removing and cleaning the front glass for example). If uncleanable, at least you'll have a source of small screws and springs - they'll come handy when fixing your next lens.

it's just inside of the front lens that's affected other glass elements are clean , at least they seem to be on the pix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience you have to consider:

1. If the price is very low. When the seller obtain less money by the lens, because it has fungus, it's may be a problem. If the lens is easy to be fixed (or cleaned) the seller should do that and can obtain more money.

2. When the price is something lower (but no much) than a good copy. It can be easy to be cleaned of fungus. So the price don't be so lower.

3. That is adecuate for fungus and haze in lenses. With other problems, not right.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50-50 chance it can be cleaned.

If it can be cleaned you will enjoy it and feel lucky in getting such a good lens for such a small price.

If it won't clean up you'll feel cheated and have bad feelings about that lens as long as you have it.

You must decide if it is worth the cost and effort to buy it, clean it and use it. I have done so in the past as a learning experience and to try different remedies for removing fungus from a lens. I got a Group 3 70-210 series one with fungus almost totally covering the front lens and it cleaned right up (Cold cream does work). I got a 70-205 Vivitar with a spot in the middle and it wouldn't clean up at all. I found a donor lens for parts and replaced the front element and now have a pristine 70-205.

Again it is your decision but it still is a 50-50 proposition. Good luck my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i let the lens slide...so no need to clean it, thanx anyway for the inputs