Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can a UV lamp kill fungus and make the lens safe for use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
I know you are reluctant to open up the lenses, but that's the only way to clear up the glass. UV light might be killing the fungus, but it won't remove it.
Come over to the tinkering side. It's not as painful as you think. You already have the determination and drive as shown by your lamp research and setup. Now go get some Japanese standard screwdrivers (#00, #000), tubes to unscrew nameplates, and some chemicals (glass cleaner (ammonia/water), alcohol, lighter fluid), and then you will be disassembling/cleaning all your lenses. Lots of satisfaction by taking apart a fungused lens, leaning off the fungus resulting in clear glass, then putting it all back together. Do it. It's fun!!!
(And you may get some great bargains by searching out fungused lenses and then restoring them.

John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exaggerating with UV isn't too good either. All plastic and rubber parts suffer plus general depigmentation. Nevertheless i do support using the lamp to stop fungus growing so lens waits for my repair in better mood.
When fungus cleaned i use UV lamp again to kill germs i let inside the lens when cleaning it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
This is interesting - it's an article on lens fungus from a guy that does a lot with microscopes and photography - the web site is a mine of useful information if you're into micro photography.

The article on fungus shows a horribly fungused lens from a machine that projected halogen light, high in UV.

http://www.truetex.com/lens_fungus.htm

And the rest of the site is here

http://www.truetex.com/micad.htm

Good find lloydy. I now know what pericentric and entocentric mean, in relation to my neophyte digiscoping tinkerings...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaecarlos714 wrote:
Boris,
I know you are reluctant to open up the lenses, but that's the only way to clear up the glass. UV light might be killing the fungus, but it won't remove it.
Come over to the tinkering side. It's not as painful as you think. You already have the determination and drive as shown by your lamp research and setup. Now go get some Japanese standard screwdrivers (#00, #000), tubes to unscrew nameplates, and some chemicals (glass cleaner (ammonia/water), alcohol, lighter fluid), and then you will be disassembling/cleaning all your lenses. Lots of satisfaction by taking apart a fungused lens, leaning off the fungus resulting in clear glass, then putting it all back together. Do it. It's fun!!!
(And you may get some great bargains by searching out fungused lenses and then restoring them.

John

I'm planning on doing that (probably mid December), until then I'll just keep the UV setup running.

Pancolart wrote:
Exaggerating with UV isn't too good either. All plastic and rubber parts suffer plus general depigmentation. Nevertheless i do support using the lamp to stop fungus growing so lens waits for my repair in better mood.
When fungus cleaned i use UV lamp again to kill germs i let inside the lens when cleaning it.

Yeah, I noticed that the UV has started to bleach out the black finish on the Minolta... that shouldn't happen anymore:

(BTW, that's not a colour cast, the wood is actually turning green...)