Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

cambron 500-800 zoom mirror lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: cambron 500-800 zoom mirror lens? Reply with quote

looking to possibly replace my cheap old not so great but still fun to use tamron 400 f/6.9 and saw a 500-800 miror f8-11 mirror lens by cambron. I know most people will say avoid mirror lenses and also to avoid cheap lenses. I can understand on that but I'm not buying this for pro work, but rather for fun as I usually don't have a big need for the super tele end.

anyone have any info on this lens on how good the quality should be and how it might compare to my current 400mm? one big plus at least for it is the 400 is a fairly long lens which I don't like but more wondering about how the quality stacks up or any other info on how a zoom mirror lens works and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the Cambron 500-800mm, but I remember when Cambridge Camera sold them new, and I was really curious about it. Not curious enough to shell out the bucks, but still . . .

I don't know who made it, but keep in mind that Cambron was the trade name that Cambridge Camera used for optics it marketed under its own name. It was probably available under others. For sure, it was also marketed as a Soligor.

From what I've been able to gather about the lens is that it was big and heavy and a just okay sort of performer. So, if it were me, I wouldn't be interested in shelling out much money for one.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not one that will tell you to avoid mirror lenses or cheap ones for that matter. I have seen too many tack-sharp photos posted here at MFlenses taken with cheap lenses, and I have owned mirrors and quite enjoyed using them. So, don't be afraid to experiment. Nowadays, you can pick up some pretty amazing gear for a pittance compared to what it used to sell for, so even if you buy a piece that's just ho-hum, chances are you're not out much cash. And you can always off it to somebody else on the Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: cambron 500-800 zoom mirror lens? Reply with quote

rx7speed wrote:
looking to possibly replace my cheap old not so great but still fun to use tamron 400 f/6.9 and saw a 500-800 miror f8-11 mirror lens by cambron.

I would say, skip cheap mirror lenses. I am not aware of any zoom-type mirror; most probably, they are selling a lens with a cheap 1.4x converter. I experimented with a Korean-made mirror (Samyang, Bower, Vivitar, Rokinon and a dozen of other names, maybe even Cambron), and it was... well... let's say, one would not use it for taking pictures.

Note that I am not bashing cheap lenses or mirror lenses. I have taken great shots with RMC Tokina 500/8, which is a better mirror lens only slightly inferior to renowned Tamron and Reflex Nikkor 500/8 counterparts. I could not get a single sharp picture with that Korean lens, no matter whether I used a tripod, LiveView focusing etc. With my Tokina mirror, I can easily take sharp shots hand-held.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: cambron 500-800 zoom mirror lens? Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

I would say, skip cheap mirror lenses. I am not aware of any zoom-type mirror; most probably, they are selling a lens with a cheap 1.4x converter. .

This lens is a TRUE mirror ZOOM lens
It was sold under 3x Trade marks : Cambron, Starblitz and mainly SOLIGOR

Pentax also sold a true mirror zoom lens : 400/600

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: cambron 500-800 zoom mirror lens? Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
This lens is a TRUE mirror ZOOM lens
It was sold under 3x Trade marks : Cambron, Starblitz and mainly SOLIGOR

Pentax also sold a true mirror zoom lens : 400/600

It might be interesting then! The Pentax one indeed looks interesting, too, but way too expensive (last sold for $750).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too worried about getting the greatest picture quality with the lens (have a tamron 400 f/6.9 if that says anything) but rather just want something that can at least take decent enough pictures and hopefully smaller and easier to carry then the tamron. as long as this cheap mirror can do at least as good if not hopefully better then the tamron I'm happy.

pbfacts are all three of those the same lens/optics or are they just zoom mirrors within the same range? any idea how well this mirror lens performs and how much would you guess one to be worth?

last question it is a t-mount lens correct?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rx7speed wrote:
pbfacts are all three of those the same lens/optics or are they just zoom mirrors within the same range? any idea how well this mirror lens performs and how much would you guess one to be worth?

last question it is a t-mount lens correct?

1- These are EXACTLY the same lens with T2 mount
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Starblitz-Japan-for-Nikon-or-M-Zoom-Mirror-lens-8-12-50_W0QQitemZ370271555325QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item5635e78efd

2- I Presume (and only presume) quality average at best (i bought one on ebay to try but never received it !)
Do not forget
a- that they are very FEW excellent 500 mirror optics : the list is short : Olympus 500 / Canon FD 500 / Nikkor 500 / Minolta 500 + Tamron sp 500 + Tokina rmc 500 + the not well known Makinon 500 i sell which is not far from my Olympus 500)
b- That TRUE lens opening (T) is never f:8 but usuallly 9.5 for the best ones (to 11 for some) for a 500 reflex, so presume T:16 or T:22 for the 500/800 at 800
c- The range is narrow : 1.6
d- The GOOD price at EBay would be MAXIMUM 150/160$, (not more beacuse quality and usablity are TOO uncertain)

I think (99% sure) that an EXCELLENT (see list above) 500mm + 1.4 or 2x converter would be better

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both the Canon and Nikon 500mm reflex lenses and agree that they are excellent optics. Haven't owned any of the others pbfacts mentions. However, I have also owned the Sigma 600mm f/8, and used it more than the other two. I can also vouch for the Sigma's ability to render great images as well. So, even though it's not a 500mm, hey what's a hundred millimeters among friends, eh? I would add it to the list. And I would be very leary, as pbfacts mentions, about paying a high price for th 500-800.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
have also owned the Sigma 600mm f/8, and used it more than the other two. I can also vouch for the Sigma's ability to render great images as well.

I did not mention the sigma 600 because quality (even if correct) is lower than Tokina's or Tamron's 500 and , of course , of all the prime's i mentionned

ps : the quality of the olympus is the best (contrast highest) of all the primes 500 i mentionned mainly because (i presume) it is the newest of the serie

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/500mm.htm

Last edited by PBFACTS on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think it probably makes a difference as to which Sigma 600 is being referred to. There are at least two different models that I know of. The one I owned was the later, black one.

I've read before where people claim the Sigma 600 is just okay. I happen to disagree, and I have photos to back me up. Plus, you almost never see one of those 600mm Sigmas go for cheap on eBay. Typically, if it's available in a popular mount, prices are in the $250 range.

Here's just one of many sharp photos I've taken with my old Sigma mirror (dupe of a Kodachrome 64 slide):

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:01 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

person is asking about 90 or so for it I believe. really curious might end up going out trying and seeing how the images turn out before I buy it. just need to remember my T2 M42 adaptor, and my M42 to EOS adaptor as it wouldn't be the first time I drove long ways and forget them Sad. always liked the idea behind mirrors with how they are quite compact vs a refration lens, and to me those little donuts look kind of cool Smile

wouldn't mind getting one of the better mirros but problem is my budget is quite limited and if I had 200-300 bucks there are other lenses I would rather buy instead then this as a long tele is just not something I really use all that often.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rx7speed wrote:
person is asking about 90 or so for it I believe.
wouldn't mind getting one of the better mirros but problem is my budget is quite limited and if I had 200-300 bucks there are other lenses I would rather buy instead then this as a long tele is just not something I really use all that often.

The price is right. Grab it, test it, and share your results here. If you don't like the lens, post it here in the Marketplace; I'm sure it'll sell for that price just for the oddity factor - a zoom mirror!

If you need a good mirror, I can recommend a Tokina RMC 500/8 (and I tried a few bad ones before the Tokina, so I know what I'm talking about). It can be had for $100-120. However, watch for the right mount: these are NOT T-mount lenses! I've got an Olympus one, and that's easily adaptable. Watch out for FD and MD mounts though, you probably won't be able to use them.

Supposedly, Vivitar Solid Cat mirrors are also good, but those are rare and usually fetch higher prices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sample variation and all, but the two Tamron 6.9's I've had (one was a Nestar) are/were both extremely sharp, two of the best 400's I've ever tried. My Komura 400 and Schneider 360 are a hair better if at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
rx7speed wrote:
person is asking about 90 or so for it I believe.

The price is right. Grab it, test it, and share your results here. If you don't like the lens, post it here in the Marketplace; I'm sure it'll sell for that price just for the oddity factor - a zoom mirror!

If you need a good mirror, I can recommend a Tokina RMC 500/8 (and I tried a few bad ones before the Tokina, so I know what I'm talking about). It can be had for $100-120. However, watch for the right mount: these are NOT T-mount lenses! I've got an Olympus one, and that's easily adaptable. Watch out for FD and MD mounts though, you probably won't be able to use them.

Supposedly, Vivitar Solid Cat mirrors are also good, but those are rare and usually fetch higher prices.

oh dear god don't even bring up minolta mounts. I'm quite pissy about that right now. paid 40 bucks for some lenses I saw on a local auction website site unseen and a camera as well.
camera was a petri with a 50mm 1.8 and 135 3.5?. mirror was not glued on anymor so camera junk. don't think I can adapt the lens's to my XSI either so that was junk.

same lot picked up a 50 1.7 rokkor, vivitar 85-205 3.8 and I believe a couple others. come to find out minolta will not adapt to the EF mount and so that sale was more or less worthless to me. but at least I came up with a sears 60-300 olympus , and that tamron 400 6.9 so something came out of it, but still grumpy Smile

luisalegria I'm not sure if there is just somethign wrong with mine or if I ended up getting one of the bad ones but honestly this one sucks. get soem fringing on it even when stopped down, the images are nowere near as sharp as my 55-250 or 18-55 kit lenses, edges just come off with a bit of blur even when using fast shutter speeds. though granted this is all handheld not with a tri/monopod and my focusing skills aren't the greatest. but even when using live view I still can't seem to get it to look quite right. will take some pictures tomorrow and post them if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to pictures from ebay listing - now selling under "starblitz" name, zoom is smooth. Interesting, how they achieved it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starblitz-500mm-800mm-f8-f12-mirror-zoom-lens-/261934862956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfc88d26c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same mirror as the Cambron. Cambron was the "house name" for Cambridge Camera of New York. They sold a lot of items under the Cambron name, including the only zoom mirror I was aware of back in the 80s, when I used to see it advertized. I was intrigued by it back then, but as I recall, it was rather pricey, so even though I was attracted to it, I never bought one. I have also seen this mirror, or one very much like it, under the Soligor brand name. Here is a link to a rather blurry pic of the Cambron, and as it seems pretty obvious, it's the same lens:

http://lab.sekaimon.com/img/fetch/i/280761798567

Come to find out some years later, this zoom mirror wasn't the only one. Pentax also produced a 400-600 zoom mirror for a while. Quite expensive these days when you can find one:

Oops, I should have gone back and reread the earlier posts from six years ago. I've repeated much of what was already mentioned then.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for sale here (auction)
https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/58840643-cambo-mirror-zoom-500-800-lens

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a couple of these under different names for sale from time to time, one buy it now as low as £50.

The design is quite interesting, and I wish it was further explored. Whilst the difference between 500-800 is meaningful, especially for bird photography, I do wonder whether casual users would make do with cropping, or changing between a speedbooster and 'dumb' adapter on a crop body.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
One for sale here (auction)
https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/58840643-cambo-mirror-zoom-500-800-lens

I'd stay away from it. The example images shown of the moon are quite poor. My Tamron 500mm f/8 mirror does a vastly better job with the moon than that one did.