Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bird photos, 200 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bird photos, 200 mm Reply with quote

I often bring the camera when I walk the dogs at a nearby lake and have accumulated some bird photos taken with various 4/200 mm lenses.
The lake is a breeding ground for swans among other birds. There must be over 20 couples nesting there.
200 mm is really a bit short for bird photography so the bird has to be big (or lazy).
No rare species to be expected but perhaps a possibility to see the different characters of the lenses.

1. Gull touching down. Nikkor Q 4/200

2. Mute swan nesting, she has 5 eggs at the moment. Pentacon 4/200

3. Some kind of goose Nikkor AI 4/200

4. Mute swan again. Pentacon 4/200

5. Whooper swans. They arrived very early. There were still some ice left on the lake. Nikkor Q 4/200

6. No idea what these guys are, but they are rather colourful.
Nikkor AI 4/200

7. Ordinary duck. Pentacon 4/200 (with a 2x TC I think)

8. Landing in snow fall. This one is not sharp, but I like the style they have for breaking the speed at touch down. Nikkor Q 4/200

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 has great atmosphere Smile

thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 looks preety good considering you added a TC. Did you crop the pic from center?

I have found an interest in birds as of late. My 200mm seems a bit short to get the shots I would like. Birds are soooo skittish.

I have a 400mm on the way and I also have my eye on a 300mm.

Nice pics. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!

The goose is a Canada goose. I have dozens in a nearby lake. Not sure what the colourful ones are, but they look like a grebe of some description.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

From a composition point of view I like #4 best. Nice colors from the Pentacon I think.

I don't think #7 is cropped at all, and I'm not 100 % sure about the TC either. It's a fairly old photo, but I did like the color rendition.

Martin:
I should have known that was a Canada goose Embarassed They are plentiful here. I have seen a type with completely white cheeks as well. Not sure if thats a different species or just a variation.

I agree that 400 mm probably would produce better images, properly handled, but I guess the appeal of carrying it around when walking the dogs would be limited.
Also Nikkors of 300mm and longer starts to get a bit expensive.
There are a couple of Tokinas on Swedish ebay at the moment (300 and 400). One of them with a Nikon fit.
There is also a 400 Meyer Telemegor of 2 kg available. Any recommendations?

/Sven

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Not sure what the colourful ones are, but they look like a grebe of some description.

Good call. Looks like a Slavonian Grebe (Podiceps auritus) - lots of pics on Flickr.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Not sure what the colourful ones are, but they look like a grebe of some description.

Good call. Looks like a Slavonian Grebe (Podiceps auritus) - lots of pics on Flickr.

You're right. I looked it up and the pictures match. It seems to be called "Horned Grebe" as well.
They are small and bit difficult to get close to so my picture is heavily cropped. A 400 would make sense here I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:

A 400 would make sense here I guess.

With a tripod, 400mm is getting kinda big!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Sven wrote:

I agree. One might have to be a bit more serious about bird photography than me to bring both tripod and 2 kg lens, and also choose a better time than a dog walk.
From that aspect I like the Nikkor 4/200 AI. It's the smallest and in my opinion the best performer of my 200 mm:s

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Sven wrote:

I agree. One might have to be a bit more serious about bird photography than me to bring both tripod and 2 kg lens, and also choose a better time than a dog walk.
From that aspect I like the Nikkor 4/200 AI. It's the smallest and in my opinion the best performer of my 200 mm:s

Yes, hauling a 400mm around is quite a pain in the back side. I'll be using mine in my backyard. The reach will be perfect. I just hope my lens performs well.