Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar 58mm f2 M42 Auto
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Biotar 58mm f2 M42 Auto Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Very Happy I like this lens the way it looks and the way it handles light.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
My favorite Very Happy I like this lens the way it looks and the way it handles light.

Beginning of beautiful friendship with Eastern European lenses Smile Great lens indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can thank you guys for this "relationship" starting Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine.
It is older than yours (1955-1958) and has a different design. Look at the different rings' locations.
The rear part of the lens protudes quite much, and the mirror of the 5D MkII hits it if mounted with an adapter without flange.
But with a flanged adaptor I loose infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice lens indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones ! I wish to see more , especially pre-war lens if anybody have it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier what is the lowest F stop on yours?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Olivier what is the lowest F stop on yours?

Range is like yours : F2 to F16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Embarassed I meant the focusing number it looks like yours goes closer Embarassed Maybe if you stop at 2 the mirror wont get hit?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I understand.

The closest focusing distance is 0.50m (1.65 feet). It seems to be closer than yours and Attila's.
But it doesn't have to do with the mirror hit issue, which occurs because of the black metal protuberance behind the thread.

Apart, when I focus at the closest distance, the glass elements go to the front of the lens. When I focus to infinity, the elements go back to the edge of the black metal protuberance.

The issue comes from the thread which is placed less at the rear than yours. You can compare our second photos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier I understand now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not auto though. They are semi auto lenses (which I find awkward on DSLRs).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice ones ! I wish to see more , especially pre-war lens if anybody have it.

I saw the ultra-rare war-time 5.8cm red-T Biotar with exakta in local auction:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one yet. How does the CZJ lens compare (optically) with the H-44 copies?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good copy of Helios 44 with 8 or 13 blades, the only difference is in color cast (different coating). I think the best price/performance is to find an early Helios 44-2 with serial number beginning with zero(s) (KMZ made). I had several of them and none was a lemon. A bit more expensive, but with more neutral colors, is 44-3 MC made by MMZ.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
If you have a good copy of Helios 44 with 8 or 13 blades, the only difference is in color cast (different coating). I think the best price/performance is to find an early Helios 44-2 with serial number beginning with zero(s) (KMZ made). I had several of them and none was a lemon. A bit more expensive, but with more neutral colors, is 44-3 MC made by MMZ.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a 44-2 in zebra style, no. 9039768 with 8 blades and I'm very pleased with it too! Smile I'll put the Biotar on the long list of wanted lenses but it will be quite near the bottom I think.