Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best zoom lens (short lengths) for NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I ended up using the Konica 35-70, it's a great lens, and the macro function is very useful. Small and light so fits perfectly on NEX.

I saw your review, and was wincing because I chose not to get the same. I already have the Hexanon 50/1.4, 28/3.5 and UC 80-200 because of both yours and Attila's reviews! Just didn't want to seem like a copycat/fanboy. Very Happy

I do find my Minolta 35-70 not quite wide enough on the NEX, so will keep a look out for anything wider from Konica.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad you grabbed those three, they are among my favourite lenses, the 1.4/50 I use a lot on my Konica bodies for BW film work, and the 3.5/28 is my main lens for shooting panoramic landscapes. The big UC zoom doesn't get much use, primarily because I rarely shoot longer than the 58mm Helios of 85mm Jupiter-9, but when I do need more reach, I usually pick the UC 4/80-200 or the Konica 3.5/200, both can be relied on to produce the goods in my experience.

I can recommend the Konica 28-135, it's huge and heavy but IQ is really excellent. You can also find it under the Tokina AT-X branding too (Konica designed it, Tokina made it).

It's pretty cheap as a Tokina:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokina-AT-X-28-135mm-Zoom-Lens-with-FD-mount-For-Canon-A-series-/221077459635?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item33793e52b3#ht_500wt_1413

The leather case is even the same as the Konica one Wink

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MD 35-70/3.5 macro and this is a really astonishing lens for me especially for the price. It is really sharp and has an excellent color rendering with 2 great macro modes. Yes it is larger than KIT lens but it is able to create a really beautiful images and videos. Large? Hmm, I have been taken this lens to my latest journey and I never noticed any special size of my NEX with 35-70 attached. Opposite that it is very handy to shoot videos because of a nice 35-70 size and weight. I am not sure you can beat this lens' iq/size/price ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD you have and the Konica 35-70 are similar in appearance and I suspect they are similar in performance too. One day I might try the MD, but I'm not in a hurry as I rarely use zooms.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a test from 1979:

http://olypedia.de/Bild:Walter_E_Sch%C3%B6n_CF_1979_Standard-Zoom-Test.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that test, it is most interesting. The Canon FD 4/35-70 that was the top of the pile surprises me. I see lots of the FD 3.5-4.5/35-70 on ebay cheap, I'll have to keep an eye out for a 4/35-70, sounds worth having.

I have the Konica UC 45-100 and that is a really great lens, I'm surprised it wasn't closer to the top of the list.