Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Tamron lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
You should consider the fact that if your adapter is an original Tamron brand Canon EOS EF Adaptall-2, it will sell for $200+ on eBay.

You can sell it and buy a Chinese-made adapter, which works just as well, for about $15.

+1

In my experience SP 17/3.5 & SP Macro 90/2.5 are excellent lenses. All the SP lenses I've tried are very good to excellent performers, primes better than zooms for IQ, although the 70-210/3.5 is very very sharp, comparable to modern zoom with that range without exotic optical materials or APO element(s). The CF 135/2.5 is also exceptional.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the 105mm f/2.5, but apparently in Adaptamatic. I have a Adaptall 135mm f/2.5 Close Focus model that I might have posted for sale in the market place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
You should consider the fact that if your adapter is an original Tamron brand Canon EOS EF Adaptall-2, it will sell for $200+ on eBay.

You can sell it and buy a Chinese-made adapter, which works just as well, for about $15.

Wow, had no idea it was worth anything...

It is a proper Tamron one and it's in good condition...

Right, I hate ebay and would prefer to avoid it...

So, is this Tamron adapter of interest to anyone here?

Seems to me that rather than invest in some Tamron lenses it would make more sense for me to part with this adapter.

If anyone would like this Tamron adapter, please get in touch, I'm not bothered about selling it and would be heppy to swap it for an item that is more useful to me, I'm particularly looking for a wide angle lens in the 35-24mm range...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
M. Valdemar wrote:

Wow, had no idea it was worth anything...

It is a proper Tamron one and it's in good condition...

Right, I hate ebay and would prefer to avoid it...

So, is this Tamron adapter of interest to anyone here?

Seems to me that rather than invest in some Tamron lenses it would make more sense for me to part with this adapter.

If anyone would like this Tamron adapter, please get in touch, I'm not bothered about selling it and would be heppy to swap it for an item that is more useful to me, I'm particularly looking for a wide angle lens in the 35-24mm range...

It looks like this is the first generation Tamron EF adaptor and it is different from my chrome Tamron EOS-M adaptor. Can you post a more clear photo of your adaptor with the rear EF mount?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Tamron made Adaptall-1 mounts for Canon EF?!

By the way, my one criticism of Tamron Adaptall-2 and SP lenses is the crazy amount of purple fringing evident. This is why I sold my super sharp SP 70-210/3.5 and 60-300/3.8-5.4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I didn't know Tamron made Adaptall-1 mounts for Canon EF?!

By the way, my one criticism of Tamron Adaptall-2 and SP lenses is the crazy amount of purple fringing evident. This is why I sold my super sharp SP 70-210/3.5 and 60-300/3.8-5.4.

Here are some more pics, I know nothing about this adapter so I'm all ears. Sorry for the shoddy focus.

I hate purple fringing, my Promura 5/300 is particularly bad for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the photos. This is the first copy I ever see - the EF adaptor for the adaptall-1!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Thank you for the photos. This is the first copy I ever see - the EF adaptor for the adaptall-1!!

Thankyou for telling me what it is!

So will this work with both Adaptall-1 and Adaptall-2 lenses or just Adaptall-1?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who sees a Canon FD mount here? The script reading "for Canon EF" apparently denotes the good old Canon EF MF camera (FD-mount)...:

Not to be confused with Canon EOS EF mount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEIRD!!! That adapter has 'FOR CANON EF' printed on it but that is NOT an EF mount, it looks like maybe FD or FL to me...

edit: Thank you SVP!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
WEIRD!!! That adapter has 'FOR CANON EF' printed on it but that is NOT an EF mount, it looks like maybe FD or FL to me...

edit: Thank you SVP!

Just comparing the bayonet on this adaptall to the one on the back of an Ozeck TC in FD mount I found in my junk box. They are very similar but not identical.

The two smaller lugs line up precisely but the third larger lug is 5-6mm shorter on the Tamron mount and the slot cut into that lug is in a different place.

So does this mean this is an FL mount Adaptall-1?

If so, it's basically useless unless someone needs one for an old FL mount Canon SLR?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the Canon EF was an EF mount MF only camera, which is what threw me...it appears the camera I was thinking of was the Canon EF-M.

So yes, it looks like an FD / FL mount. Booooo!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is not an EOS adapter. It is not worth more than about $20 at most. Probably less because it is in poor condition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
Am I the only one who sees a Canon FD mount here? The script reading "for Canon EF" apparently denotes the good old Canon EF MF camera (FD-mount)...:

Not to be confused with Canon EOS EF mount.

My thinking precisely.

I believe the confusion is occuring for this reason: the Canon EF was Canon's first auto-exposure SLR (if we neglect the Servo EE finder for the F-1), and the first camera to use the "A" or actually the "O" setting on the early FD lenses. This old Adaptall adapter, which is definitely an FD/FL mount, is most likely designed to support the "auto" function of the camera and suitable Tamron lenses. Tamron labeled it "For Canon EF" so it would be clear it could be used in the "auto" position.

Or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the topic of favorite Tamron lenses, here are some of mine (some repeats from above):

24mm f/2.5 as good as my Nikkor 24mm f/2.8
28mm f/2.5 very capable and usually cheap
90mm f/2.5 Macro extremely sharp macro lens
180mm f/2.5 LD IF uncommon
300mm f/2.8 LD IF later green or black ones are best, excellent optic
400mm f/4 LD IF same here

Of all the Tamron zooms, the only one I really have any experience with is the 23a, SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4. I have a 103a that I bought out of a 2nd hand store for $20 with P/K mount, but I haven't used it yet.

Unlike MF-G, I have not experienced extreme levels of purple fringing with the three different 60-300s I've owned over the years. They fringe very little, if at all, on a 35mm camera, and the fringing I get with my DLSR, I can live with. The fringing I get with my EF 75-300 II is about the same.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I'll try to hack it from an FD mount to an EOS mount...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 70-150mm 3.5 (20AB), and I like it as well as the 28mm 2.5 (02B).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the SP 35-80mm!
An amazing and very versatile lens imo.

Last edited by JohnBee on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stunning shot.

Sadly now I know i don't actually had an Adaptall-EOS adapter I've kind of lost interest in Tamron lenses.

For the people using Tamron lenses with EOS bodies, how are you doing it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's falling-off-a-log easy to use Tamron lenses on an EOS. Since an EOS can use lenses with Nikon, M42, Pentax K, Olympus, Yashica/Contax, and other? mounts with the appropriate adapter, take your pick. Use an Adaptall-2 mount for one of the above camera systems and then get an adapter for that mount.

And as has been mentioned before, you can get a Tamron-EOS adapter off eBay for cheap.

Me, I bought a Nikon to EOS adapter and I mount my Tamrons onto my DSLR using the Nikon Adaptall-2 mount and the adapter. I prefer this method because I shoot Nikon also.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thankyou.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed away from Tamron. They look cheaply built to me. I don't think anyone can convince me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I have stayed away from Tamron. They look cheaply built to me. I don't think anyone can convince me.

Are you serious? The Adaptall-2 and SP lenses are built like tanks! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:

No need to convince anyone Wink... Less competition in getting them.
Don't you like the 90SP 2.5 macro?. It's one of the best macro and portrait lenses I've ever used, at a reasonable price...

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After recheck the photos of the adaptor, I think it is not EF too.... I should avoid making decisions in the mid-night. Embarassed

The build quality of adaptall 2 and SP is excellent.