Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best pancake lens for SONY A6000?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Best pancake lens for SONY A6000? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i wanted to know if there is any great wide angle lenses that are the same size of a industar 69 or around that size that can fit on an Sony A6000.
I currently shoot with a smc pentax 28mm 2.8 and love it but would love to use something more compact, and yes i do own a industar 69 but i would love to have the quality of the pentax or better in the same size of a industar 69.
What lenses would y'all recommend ?

Thanks heaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony E 20mm F2.8, the smallest E mount AF lens.

BTW, 28mm on your A6000 is not considered as wide angle but normal/standard.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wide angle pancake lens? Reply with quote

KRaZiGLiTcH wrote:
Hi everyone, i wanted to know if there is any great wide angle lenses that are the same size of a industar 69 or around that size that can fit on an Sony A6000.
I currently shoot with a smc pentax 28mm 2.8 and love it but would love to use something more compact, and yes i do own a industar 69 but i would love to have the quality of the pentax or better in the same size of a industar 69.
What lenses would y'all recommend ?

Thanks heaps.

If F6 isn't too slow for you, then I would recommend the KMZ Orion-15 28mm/F6 M39/LTM lens which performs surprisingly well on an APS-C camera such as your A6000 what I've seen already. It's most probably the smallest option available.

Here are some examples from my Ricoh GXR-M APS-C camera:

Specification of the lens: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_935.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i will definitely look into those lenses.
and yes i am looking for around 28mm to keep a normal fov(42mm on my a6000)
I should of stated that more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Sony E 20mm F2.8, the smallest E mount AF lens.

BTW, 28mm on your A6000 is not considered as wide angle but normal/standard.

Indeed it is Calvin! I adjusted to title accordingly....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find one, the FED 28mm f/4.5 is possibly the most compact interchangeable lens in it's class.

See https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100876

Mine's low contrast and the aperture can be a bit of a PITA to operate, but if it's size that's your priority this is worth a look!

Although it "looks" like a collapsible Industar or similar it's not, so no great intrusion into the camera body to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12mm Voigtlander will be small and wide.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a 35mm? On the Sony APS-C cameras, it translates into 52.5mm equivalent focal length. A while back, I found a Canon rangefinder Serenar 35mm f/3.2 on eBay. Price was reasonable for an M39 lens. Here's a shot of me using it -- set wide open to f/3.2. It's actually very compact, which is great if one is using it for a street lens or the like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
How about a 35mm? On the Sony APS-C cameras, it translates into 52.5mm equivalent focal length. A while back, I found a Canon rangefinder Serenar 35mm f/3.2 on eBay. Price was reasonable for an M39 lens. Here's a shot of me using it -- set wide open to f/3.2. It's actually very compact, which is great if one is using it for a street lens or the like.

Interesting Smile Never seen one of these before! Is it collapsible or just styled that way? My M39 35mm lens is the Jupiter 12. Unfortunately, with it's huge rear element, it's unsuitable for APS-C cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35mm f/3.2 Serenar isn't collapsible. It is just a very compact lens.

Here's a good pic of it over at the Canon Museum Lens Hall. Please note that the long protrusion at the back is a lens cap. The lens's mounting surface is the scale that shows the hyperfocal settings.

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/s15.html

There are several other Canon wide angles that are also quite compact. But you're starting to talk big bux with some of them. In fact, you can get a general idea of Canon's wide angle M39 lenses' sizes by just checking them out at this page at the Museum:

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/series_search.html?t=lens&s=s&s2=wide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 25/1.8 which is quiet small too like 7artisans 25mm F1.8.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the 7artisans 35/1.2 is just as small as any pancake 35/2.5 and with no adapter necessary, makes for an excellent pocketable solution. Only downside, if you like close-ups, 0.35m won't cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus pen f 40mm 1.4?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 7artisans prices are sure attractive. Compare their $69 25mm to a Canon LTM 25mm -- hundred of $$ difference.

One good thing about adapting M39 to NEX is the adapter is very thin, so virtually nothing is being added to the depth of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are intent on compactness and quality, the M Rokkors both 28mm 2.8 and 40mm f2 have both in spades. For the same price though you can pick up an FE 28mm f2 which is also very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
My M39 35mm lens is the Jupiter 12. Unfortunately, with it's huge rear element, it's unsuitable for APS-C cameras.

Not really. It fits nicely on my Ricoh GXR-M APS-C camera as you can see here:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J-12 works fine on EOS-M and GXR-M but not Sony and Fuji APS-C cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRaZiGLiTcH wrote:
Thanks i will definitely look into those lenses.
and yes i am looking for around 28mm to keep a normal fov(42mm on my a6000)
I should of stated that more.

The Nikon 28mm E-Series f/2.8 is 155 grams--44.5mm long & 62.5mm in diameter--keeps you @ 28mm for a near normal. If you want something similar, but with excellent close-focus & half stop detents, try the Komine made (Vivitar) 28mm f/2.8 options--they are a little heavier than the E-Series option, but offer a lot more for 45 more grams of weight---49mm front filter too. jt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will definitely check these all out.
I've been looking at the 7Artisans 25mm alot, i might buy one of those.