Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beroflex 35mm f2.8 auto w.w.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Beroflex 35mm f2.8 auto w.w. Reply with quote

I found a lot which had a camera+lens i was after for some time + 2 bonus lenses from Beroflex I wouldnt normally buy, but the price was ok so I went with it.
I was planning to sell the 2 extra lenses to recover part of the cost, but my plans are tits up now.
Thanks to the 35mm f2.8.

The design it not good.
Its bulky and ugly. So ugly only a mother could love it.

But it has nice bokeh/character.
Currently sharp out of focus bokeh highlights are the most sought after commodity for me.
More important than speed, corner to corner sharpness, or collector value.

On the way to supermarket to restock my supplies of ice cream I took the longer route and tested it.
Its a keeper
P.S. M42 focusing helicoid is needed to get pass the 0,5m MFD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar looking lens in 28mm f2.8 that is marked Avanar.
Focus ring is identical, and the markings are quite similar.
I haven't been able to determine the maker with any finality yet, but some Chinon's come close.
Mine is so far resisting the A/I conversion for metering.
It is actually next on the to-do-and-get-done list Razz

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beroflex 35mm f2.8 auto w.w. Reply with quote

Jozef_AV wrote:

Whenever I see the green/yellow focus markings I tend to associate it with an Itoh Kogaku made lens, although normally there are other styling markers as well. I have a copy that is identical but doesn't actually have the green/yellow colouring, and have also seen the lens with a preset aperture setup, with the rings still being at the mount end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more from yesterday/today.
M42 focusing helicoid was used ( in fact I am using it instead of my regular adapter now )
Straight out of camera and no post processing ( adding contrast and color might actually help to get better results)

with bubbles like this everything is forgiven, its like the equivalent of deep blue eyes.

ring of fire ( similar to pancolar ), lens can do that one too

bubble bokeh

usable also for butterfly shots

Lens and me will spend a lot more time together on fresh air so it seems.
Becomes instantly one of my favs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I haven't been able to determine the maker with any finality yet, but some Chinon's come close.

-D.S.

I have a blank spot with 28mm FL after selling my Miranda 28mm. It was ok, but didnt get much use, so it went.
Wonder if the 28mm has the same character for close ups like its 35mm bro.
Or if it atleast is any good at infinity, for landscape, because the 35mm f2.8 really isn't

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/avanar-chinon-28mm-f2-8-t84692.html

One sample shot here. As a landscape lens, not so much. Distortion is a a bit on the high side.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozef_AV wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I have a blank spot with 28mm FL after selling my Miranda 28mm. It was ok, but didnt get much use, so it went.
Wonder if the 28mm has the same character for close ups like its 35mm bro.
Or if it atleast is any good at infinity, for landscape, because the 35mm f2.8 really isn't

I'm not sure that many character lenses fit into perfect edges on landscapes , but of course neither all landscapes need to have perfect sharpness all over.
Sometimes, perfect lenses are boring (I've used to shoot 35mm distagon 2.8, but it didn't fulfill my needs, .maybe the 1.4 would of be another story, now I'm happy with character lenses rokkor 1.8, komura etc, but mainly I'm shooting street with people ).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

I'm not sure that many character lenses fit into perfect edges on landscapes , but of course neither all landscapes need to have perfect sharpness all over.
Sometimes, perfect lenses are boring (I've used to shoot 35mm distagon 2.8, but it didn't fulfill my needs, .maybe the 1.4 would of be another story, now I'm happy with character lenses rokkor 1.8, komura etc, but mainly I'm shooting street with people ).

My thinking about lenses has changed a lot over the past few years, and I'm inclined to go along with this, up to a certain point. Past that certain point, a junk lens is just that~ a junk lens.
I'll leave it off here, without taking the o/p's topic so far off subject that it becomes distracting.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of more shots. After spending some time with this lens it is really growing on me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens but it's differently branded. I cant remember what.

Some time ago, I was looking for the origin of the lens and I think that I found that it could be a mamyia.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
I have this lens but it's differently branded. I cant remember what.

Some time ago, I was looking for the origin of the lens and I think that I found that it could be a mamyia.

Beroflex was apparently a reseller, contracting other manufacturers according to this page ( in german ) :
https://photobutmore.de/exakta/japanoptik/

So it can well be. But details are scarce. Only other source of info I found is on this page, stating it is a 6/5 design.
https://lens-db.com/miida-automatic-35mm-f28/

I would like to compare it one day to Westron/Westromat ( 5/5 ) and Curtagon ( 6/6 ) but I dont have them yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see different versions of the Beroflex 35/2.8 Some appear to be sun, others cimko even a Sankor but this one seems to be none of dose. The flat a/m switch is especially strange. Maybe some Pentacons had those but this is not German. This one looks most like Sun but I can't really find an image with a made in japan so maybe a Korean one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozef_AV wrote:

Beroflex was apparently a reseller, contracting other manufacturers according to this page ( in german ) :
https://photobutmore.de/exakta/japanoptik/

So it can well be. But details are scarce. Only other source of info I found is on this page, stating it is a 6/5 design.
https://lens-db.com/miida-automatic-35mm-f28/

I would like to compare it one day to Westron/Westromat ( 5/5 ) and Curtagon ( 6/6 ) but I dont have them yet.

That is not the same lens. Your second link is SUN made lens.