Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Benoist's cousin SOM Berthiot 1.7/50 projector lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Benoist's cousin SOM Berthiot 1.7/50 projector lens Reply with quote

Curious of cheaper French cine projector lenses, after having tested a swiiirly Benoist Berthiot 1.5/50 for Christmas, I am proceding with its cousin. Please meet SOM Berthiot 1.7/50 used for narrow film projectors. I have doubts if the lens was designed for 8mm or 16mm film, as it does not fully cover Sony APS-C sensor.

Anyway, it's central sharpness and lateral swirl make it a pretty close relative to Benoist Berthiot optical wise. Although the swirl seems gentlier. All images are edited to give them more saturated colours and contrast, as the lens is highly sensitive to flare in the daylight and out-of-the-camera shots come pretty much bleached but easily fixed.

Here you may find a short introduction into the history of both optical makers, Benoist Berthiot and SOM Berthiot.

Close up with SOM Berthiot 1.7/50

#1 Shot through the glass

#2 At a very close distance thanks to a cheap helicoid

#3 BW converted

Portrait distance

Long distance

In-focus vs bokeh tests

A 100% unprocessed crop from the central part of #9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 #8 only for me, the remainder make me too dizzy! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it you who shot the scarf tied to the lamp post, Alex?

I was looking at #1 and thinking you have a habit of producing images where it looks like you can reach out and grab it.

Lovely set Like 1 .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, fellows!

Sciolist, you have good memory. The scarf was taken with the mighty Resolux.