Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bausch&Lomb Planatograph 6 1/2" f/8 - a 100-year ol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Bausch&Lomb Planatograph 6 1/2" f/8 - a 100-year ol Reply with quote

I picked up this lens a few months ago as a curiosity. I believe it came off a Rochester Camera Co. 4x5 plate camera, made sometime between 1893 and 1902.

It is in a Unicum pneumatic shutter, which still seems accurate. I have taken pictures using this shutter on the DSLR (with the DSLR shutter set on a long exposure) and the 1/100 and 1/25 speeds seem to be spot on vs the DSLR shutter. Thats a testimony to 1890's materials and engineering !

Sadly, though the shutter is good, the lens is pretty awful. I am easy to please with respect to lenses, but this one is just not sharp in any conventional meaning of the word. Now, back in 1900, on the 4x5 contact prints this was designed for, perhaps this was not apparent, but on a DSLR it is noticable even on web-sized images. I am disappointed, as the appearance of the lens on the bellows is very striking. I would say that this lens is just barely usable on the DSLR.

Samples - pretty much every aperture from f/8 to f/45-ish. This thing goes to f/128 ! Maybe its sharp at f/64 ?

The bird -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say it isn't sharp... ok, I should not judge from resizes, but I think it can be said that it musn't be all that bad, after all. A really blurry lens makes images that look blurred even when resized.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the #4 shot didn't produce nice bokeh
but you make such nice pics Luis that the lens never matter with you Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid! luisalegria,you use the old lens to be flavor very much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a GORGEOUS lens, I'm in love...

The photos look good to me - these aren't modern lenses scaled for the miniature size negative, after all, so it's no surprise they can't match a modern lens for sharpness. LOL had they even invented electronics by then? much less a digital camera. I wonder if anyone thought their lens would still be in use now, and in what way...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find right words... Beautiful, amazing job. I never ever beleived this old lenses can produce this quality. Many thanks !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using their ultra compact soft torik lenses on my eyes and I'm very happy with them Laughing

I didn't know that they were producing camera lenses and yes the images are great if we consider the age of the lens.

Last edited by yalcinaydin on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks great! And you got impressive results!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis , fantastic lens ! I have no equivalent to oppose ! The challenge is open !
I suggested a sticky topic on old glasses "frankensteinized" on dslr bodies , and a permanent gallery with the obtained pics ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Good grief. Reply with quote

That thing looks like the lovechild of Star Wars meets Jules Verne... The photo's however seem sharp to me? Is it my eyes or am I just happy I can see at all these days?

Wonderful contraption - now I'll have to see what I can cram onto the front of my K10D (or Lumix L-1)

Let battle be joined! Razz