Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back in the time machine to 1984
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Back in the time machine to 1984 Reply with quote

Mt. Ranier (14410 feet) taken from the observation deck of the Seattle Space Needle. The atmospheric haze and distance, about 75 miles, from downtown Seattle makes Ranier seem to "float" above the landscape. Taken on a very rare clear winter day in the Pacific Northwest.

F2 Photomic, 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor, Kodachrome 25 and polarizing filter. Man oh man I miss that amazing stuff, digital has NOTHING on it! Incredible sharpness, non-existent grain and super saturated colors. It was pure color perfection. I would put my DSLR's away in the closet if Kodak would bring it back. I still shoot a fair amount of film but mostly in B&W and medium format. T-Max 100 does do very well in 35mm as well as 2¼.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy you your location. I live in the flatlands of Texas. Back in the mid-70s, I was in the US Army and was stationed at Ft. Lewis, which is northeast of Olympia. Mt Rainier dominated the skyline in a huge fashion at the Fort. I never got tired of the view. Wish I would have carried more than a pocket 110 camera back then. I also agree entirely with your sentiments. I do miss Kodachrome. Sad to say, when it was around, I took it for granted that it would always be around.

Back in 1995, I made it back up to Washington State, 28-foot motor home and family in tow. I was prepared then, shot some rolls of slides of Mt Rainier and even shot a roll of Mt St. Helens. Pardon my presumptuousness, but I felt like I just had to share.

The following images were shot with a Nikon F2 and various lenses, including a Century Precision Optics 500mm f/5.6 telephoto. The film used was either Fujichrome or Ektachrome. These images were taken during the first week of June, 1995. Still a lot of snow at altitude.

I duplicated the images using my Sony NEX 7 and a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 with extensions to get me to a 1:1 dupe ratio. This rig provides me with 4000 x 6000 pixel images, which I reduce down to 1600 x 1067 for display here. I don't think much image processing was done to any of the images.

On the way up, we stopped to check out Mt. Shasta. This shot has a bit of that floating action you mentioned. I don't recall the lens I used.

Mt. Rainier, of course. Taken from the Mt. Rainier State Park environs. I don't recall anymore which lens was used.

Ditto above. I was probably shooting with my 500mm here.

Mt. St. Helens. I do recall using the 500mm for this shot. I was truly astounded by the enormity of the gaping hole that was really all that was left of this mountain -- except for that interesting-looking bubble in the center.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Excellent shots guys!