Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Yashinon-DX 1.7/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try! Very Happy All my Contax Zeiss C/Y Mount Lenses are MMJ type, so made in Japan, and mint. Smile
Besides that, the DS or DS-M Yashica Lens series are sitting under the Yashica ML line, and are cheaper, optically
usually not that good, but they're a few nice DS-M ones, too. Wink Afaik all Yashinon M42 DS/M & DX ones are
containing radioactive stuff like thorium inside the glas elements.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the HFT 50/1.8, though it's not been mounted yet for some strange reason, I'll have to fix the that this summer.
I've been more impressed by the ML 50/2 than the ML 50/1.4 which surprised me, I would have expected the 1.4 to be better since they are usually a flagship.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could perhaps only being explained by "sample variation"...because the 50/2 was the cheapest ML prime of the whole
series, and onto many cheap Yashica SLR bodies as "Kitlens" mounted. The 50/1.7 does render images better, also a nicer bokeh,
whileas the 50/1.4 was the top-of-the-line 50 lens from Yashica.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with my ML 50 / 1.7.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:

Now guess how good the Yashica ML Series are - because the DS-M is the single coating bread & butter Yashica Lens, not multicoated,
as the ML stands for into the Yashica ML name....they're way close to Contax Carl Zeiss C/Y lenses...so much for this. Smile

1. as Calvin said DS is single coated... DS-M is multicoated... guess what the M stands for.
2. ML lenses aren't automatically better, they are just a later lineup for the CY cameras. Some of them may be better, other are even inferior
3. DX Yashinons don't contain radioactive materials

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
doomed-forever wrote:

Now guess how good the Yashica ML Series are - because the DS-M is the single coating bread & butter Yashica Lens, not multicoated,
as the ML stands for into the Yashica ML name....they're way close to Contax Carl Zeiss C/Y lenses...so much for this. Smile

1. as Calvin said DS is single coated... DS-M is multicoated... guess what the M stands for.
2. ML lenses aren't automatically better, they are just a later lineup for the CY cameras. Some of them may be better, other are even inferior

Jan, you really always need the last word, don't you`? I've written already that yesterday, some DS-Ms are really good,
but not all & everything from these M42 series. About that multicoated, guess what i've written before <plonk>
Last, but not least: check the web before you write such statements.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Tedat wrote:
doomed-forever wrote:

Jan, you really always need the last word, don't you`? I've written already that yesterday, some DS-Ms are really good,
but not all & everything from these M42 series. About that multicoated, guess what i've written before <plonk>

I guess it is clear that you made mistake, just man up and admit it ...simples [sometimes too much adrenaline on the forums Very Happy]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a YT video and also posts onto the net, that the Yashinon DX is indeed leaking (even small amounts) of radiation - no offence. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:

please excuse me for having the last word again Wink

1. Yes you wrote that some DS-M Yashinons are really good... but also "go for the Yashica ML series, the DS-Ms are mediocre" and "the DS or DS-M Yashica Lens series are sitting under the Yashica ML line, and are cheaper, optically
usually not that good"
... there I say it's just wrong. Maybe you got it mixed with DSB which was the cheaper lineup for CY cameras...

2. Next you wrote "Only the Yashica ML line does have multi coated lens elements."... wrong again.. ML is multicoated, DS-M too (that's what the "M" stands for). DS, DSB, DX and earlier Yashinons are single coated.

3. "Afaik all Yashinon M42 DS/M & DX ones are containing radioactive stuff like thorium inside the glas elements."... nope.. DX and DS lenses don't contain radioactive materials. Some DS-M Yashinons do..

That's what I wrote before, but maybe not clear enough. I also see no words from you where you changed your mind about those three points, so I replied and do this now again.

PS: I don't write anything to offend you or anybody else

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errare humanum est .

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I tried again my DS-M and it seems to be very similar to the DX except the yellowish tint that you can remove in PP.

My sample needs some internal cleaning and relub. Does anybody has some experience with those lenses ? I did not find anything on YouTube.
How can I dismantle it ?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Tonight I tried again my DS-M and it seems to be very similar to the DX except the yellowish tint that you can remove in PP.

My sample needs some internal cleaning and relub. Does anybody has some experience with those lenses ? I did not find anything on YouTube.
How can I dismantle it ?

Shoot off a message to BeardsareBest. I think he has dismantled a DX before.
OH

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is done, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS/DS-M body is a different animal from the older DX body.
Downsized and not as robust.
To begin to take it apart, I have a DS f/2 and /1.7, which are identical physically....you extend the focus barrel, and grasp it and unscrew it counter clockwise. The front portion and name plate will spin off revealing the innards and front element attachments.

That's the extent of my experience with them. Good luck and post your findings here!

BTW,
The DS/DS-M 50mm f/1.7 lenses ARE radioactive. Only the 1.7 model, not the 1.9 or 2.0.
Perhaps that is why your lens has a yellow tint. A result of the glass being irradiated over time.
This is reversible by UV exposure.

And yes, my $0.02 regarding the DS/DS-M.... they are excellent performing lenses. DS is single-coated and same as older DX coating.
DS-M multi-coating was carried forward into the ML line. So, those are the same optically. They are different generations, but the last one is the 'best' due to inevitable refinement.
The DSB line is a dog, and deserves to be kicked.