Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Yashinon 5cm, f2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Auto Yashinon 5cm, f2.0 Reply with quote

I found this old beat up Yashica J-3 yesterday at a thrift store for $7.50. It's missing the rewind lever and the shutter sticks a little, but I thought, "hey, the lens might be good."

Last edited by AstroZon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was right. Luckily I had my M42/NEX adapter with me and took both of these photos yesterday in Pueblo, Colorado. Taken with my Sony NEX-5N.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that.
There are lots of different Yashinons - auto, DX, DS etc in M42, and others in CY mounts.
Most are very good indeed.
Some of the early ones like yours may not have been made by Yashica and there are rumoured Tomioka/Tominon connections ........
Regardless, you have a fine lens here and it deserves to be used.
Thanks for sharing these.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Regardless, you have a fine lens here and it deserves to be used.
Thanks for sharing these.
OH

Thanks Oldhand

Also, I have a correction to make: It's a 50mm, not 55mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is $7-50 well spent, it's a nice sharp lens. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That is $7-50 well spent, it's a nice sharp lens. Cool

Thanks Lloydy.

One more from yesterday. This is an antique store on Union Ave in Pueblo, Colorado. I just noticed the bokeh in back from the mini lights.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashinon 2/50 is one of my favorite lenses, I've used it a lot on film and digital and you can find a thread or two about this lens on these forums if you poke around a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.9 DS and I had a F2 auto like yours, both very nice and have similar results for the bokeh. quite a nervous looking bokeh but works well for some instances when you don't want creamy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
I have a 1.9 DS and I had a F2 auto like yours, both very nice and have similar results for the bokeh. quite a nervous looking bokeh but works well for some instances when you don't want creamy.

I agree - most of the time the bokeh is not at the creamy end of the scale.
It can be pleasant however.
I have the DX version.
Here are two images if you don't mind me posting them here - the first @f2 and the second @f8.
It is a sharp lens for sure.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

I actually find this to be one of the smoother rendering lenses in its class. It's is only "chunky" wide open. Any smaller stops and it is pretty smooth.

It was one of seven lens I compared recently in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/seven-different-lenses-compared-at-f-2-8-t68546.html and it is about the smoothest rendering of the bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Yashinon shows a really excellent results both on my Nex and A7. I specially like bokeh wide open and BW results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my oldest Yashinons more intereting with a great balance between sharpness/bokeh, certainly drawing differently than my usual old MF nifty fifties.

I am planning to compare my auto yashinon 5cm f1.8 and mentioned Yashinon 5cm f2. Both are fantastically build and pleasure to use.
cheers,
Rado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

I actually find this to be one of the smoother rendering lenses in its class. It's is only "chunky" wide open. Any smaller stops and it is pretty smooth.

It was one of seven lens I compared recently in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/seven-different-lenses-compared-at-f-2-8-t68546.html and it is about the smoothest rendering of the bunch.

Nice photo! I agree, it has a rough bokeh at f2.0, but really comes in beautifully around f4.0 or f5.6.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Oldhand
"Some of the early ones like yours may not have been made by Yashica and there are rumoured Tomioka/Tominon connections ........ "

It is definately true as I have YASHINON 5cm f2 and also TOMINON 5cm f2 in m42 [basically same lens-(MFD, size, aperture ring,blades...etc), but Tominon looks better build and sexier in silver" Razz Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more with the the Yashinon 5cm/2.

First, the cans are at f5.6 - nice gentle dissolve.

Second, a cosmos flower at f2.0 under a tree and into the sun - weird bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes!
Excellent
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML 50/2 is also nice.
Congrats on getting the lens for cheap.