Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Sears 55/2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Auto-Sears 55/2.8 Macro Reply with quote

Just some test shots from the Auto-Sears macro lens I mentioned earlier -

Just some flowers in the neighborhood, some with and some without the extension tube, mostly at f/16 - unfortunately this lens doesn't go lower, which is a fault in a macro lens.

These are at or close to 1:1 -

100% crop -

There was a strong wind blowing, as usual here in the afternoon, so its not easy to do macro "in the wild" so to speak, as holding focus with small DOF isn't easy. But on the whole I would say that for nature photography this lens is nothing special, I have the same results with enlarger lenses on bellows. It may do better on edge-to-edge tests and other repro work, but I have no way of testing that.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens still provides very nice results and if it can be purchased for less than some of the 'name' brands, it is a bonus.

I do however, notice the hexagon shaped (aperture?) bokeh highlights in #6. I always find them distracting, just a personal problem with me Very Happy

f/16 is a bit limiting in a macro lens - kind of defeats, at least part of, the purpose for owning one (unless of course you like photographing flat objects).

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Mike's personal problems, I think you got one helluva nice macro,
Luis, some great shots! Wink

Mike, just kiddin'

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result! As I expected from a macro lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and the lens looks to be very competent. Great value and thanks for bringing it to our attention

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelents pictures, beautifull. Great lens macro and sharp May be tomioka, I think so (remember mamiya's and yashinon's macros). You're locky. Very good! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb results luis!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was also apparently sold by Soligor - just ran across this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soligor-2-8-55mm-macro-lens-extension-caps-case_W0QQitemZ110288347088QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110288347088&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This was not, however, sold by most of the camera makers as their macro lens product, as it seems Mamiya/Ricoh/Yashica sold the Tomioka 60mm instead.

Interesting bit is that the serial number has a "7" in the second place, which seems to be a characteristic of Tokina lenses sold by Soligor. So this might be a Tokina.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results as always!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor macro 55mm is quite a sharp lens, A big nice catch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be related to the Vivitar 55 F2.8 macro to me...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be, but if I recall correctly the Vivitar was very different in design.

I believe the Vivitar 55/2.8 had dual helicals and could get to 1:1 without an extension tube.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis you have it right.
I have the Komine built viv and it does have dual Helicoids and go 1:1 without tubes.
A nice lens but does struggle with some CA and OOF highlights.