Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 55/1.4 (Tomioka)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 55/1.4 (Tomioka) Reply with quote

Tomioka Auto Revuenon 55/1.4 (sn 102361)

I sold this interesting lens a few weeks ago. Nothing exceptional wide-opened, but it's zero CA, ultimate resolution and overall sharpness at higher f-stops is almost unbelievable.

test shot at f/5.6 or f/7.1 (sharpness = 0 at SPP2.5 RAW converter)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you sell the lens? Do you have one better? Which?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed money and this copy had a ding on back coating (I'll probably buy another one later). Anyway, I think 50/1.4 SMC Takumar is very similar (I'm going to do some testing).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: testing sharpness Reply with quote

Hi!
Please let me know how will you test it? I am looking for a program that would help me make a comparable 1.4/50, 55mm test (sharpness, contrast, bokeh). I have this same lens bytheway and it's sooo beautiful.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested too as I have many 50mm and 55mm f1.4 primes including the Zuiko and now three Tomiokas, the GAF, Chinon and Cosina branded items! I've also got the Super Takumar (radioactive) 50mm 1.4 and so far the Tomioka bests it in resolution if not in contrast!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, 55/1.4 Tomioka is better wide open than Tak/STak/SMC Tak 50/1.4: more sharpness, less coma.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree. According to my experience, Tomioka has less contrast and less sharpness at f/1.4 compared to SMC Takumars. The results may look similar in terms of detail, but the reason are Tomioka's five extra milimeters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that ypo have the Yashinon 1.2 /55 (also a Tomioka design?) but wondered if you had also got the 1.4 (in any of its many incarnations!) to try side by side with The Super Tak 1.4? I've tried both on my Panasonic L1 and my Pentax K10D digitals as well as on film, side by side on the same tripod shooting the same scene and I still stand by my findings, as do those who have seen the pics?

Welcome to the forum anyway!

Doug

no-X wrote:
I can't agree. According to my experience, Tomioka has less contrast and less sharpness at f/1.4 compared to SMC Takumars. The results may look similar in terms of detail, but the reason are Tomioka's five extra milimeters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I have also sold a very similar lens some days ago, despite the high quality of the glass.
It's a fascinating lens, but it's one that "earns you some money" when you sell it. And since I wanted to buy a Viv 2/24 (right, Andy? Wink), I needed to sell something. I have a policy at the moment that I have enough lenses and that I only allow me to buy a new one when I get rid of an old one. Wink

And although this Revuenon is such a nice lens, I have realised that I use my Zuiko 1.4/50, my Tak 1.4/50 and my Voigtländer 1.4/55 more often.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis: 55/1.2 is unfortunately way worse then 55/1.4 and Takumar. Good only for extreme conditions (or it's bokeh).

I use Sigma SD14 camera, which is equipped by Foveon X3 senzor. This senzor doesn't use low-pass filter and de-bayer PP filter, so it captures exactly what the lens transmits. 55/1.4 is sharp and offers very detailed image, but Takumar images are aliased even without sharpening (even near borders) - this means, that Takumars resolution is significantly higher, than what the Foveon sensor can capture.

I tried 2-3 SMC Takumars, 3-4 Super Takumars and about 3 55/1.4, so my experience shouldn't be affected by defective samples.

But it's possible, that Takumars dislike some cameras (or sensors). I know one person, who can't get sharp picture from Takumars on his 5D; no problem on other bodies. Strange...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: different results on different cameras Reply with quote

I think that isn't the case. Rather then having different reactions with cameras i think it's the case of different lens series or examples. I am sure (sadly) that many factors can influence the results of 30 years old lenses. Previous owner might have dropped it, it might have been badly serviced and when put together elements aren't nicely adjusted, it's also a question of good production serie...

Does anyone know good sharpness testing program that he has use and can give some info?

Last edited by Pancolart on Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Takumar, he had tested on EOS 5D, is perfectly sharp on any other body including Sigma SD14. On EOS 5D the image is unsharp even in center. Zeiss lenses are OK on his 5D, Takumar is OK on others DSLRs, but together they simply doesn't work...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Strange results Reply with quote

Flange focal distance (could be the adapter)?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not related only to infinity focusing, unfortunately (other lenses are OK with the same adaptor)...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Does anyone know good sharpness testing program that he has use and can give some info?

Unfortunately I don't think such thing exist.
Even on the best professional testing system, difference of 15% in MTF have been reported between operator; so imagine what happens with amateur setup
Testing a lens with a dslr cannot show many things as the sensor is the main limiting factor, especially at F5.6-F8
Also testing a lens with ideal flash light setup on tripod doesn't always reflect performance on real use.
I believe that a manual lens user eye can spot quality of a lens just by looking in the viewfinder better than any test program.
Also characteristic like bokeh, colors, 3D cannot be reported by test program.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a pretty sharp lens Smile. I've got the newer version:

Two test shots @ f/8 (click for full 10mp version):

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 55/1.4 Reply with quote

I have the exact same lens and it's very sharp indeed.

wide open (see her right eye)

100% crop