Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Chinon 200mm F3.5 (m42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Auto Chinon 200mm F3.5 (m42) Reply with quote

I was going to add these to the gallery but they're just snaps and not really worthy. Plus I want to alert folks to this lens which seems to get overlooked in favour of the SMC Tak, which IMO is inferior.

First wide open others at F5.6.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics !!! I like the #1 especially.

I read your posts before, so I saw one "auto chinon" in yellow 3,5/200 and bought it. Wink

Thx, i have a good 200 lens now. Very Happy

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't about snaps. that jonquil shot is nice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these off of eBay some time ago, but there appears to be some de-lamination around the edges of the rear elements. As cheaply as these are found, I should probably just get another... but that first lens would also serve as a nice experiment in delamination repair some day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it different than the non auto version? And what is the deal with yellow lettering?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Mine has yellow lettering. The Auto just refers to the fact it automatically stops the lens down when attached to a camera that allows this. No function on a DSLR.

One word of warning; do not buy the F3.3 version as it is not very good at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile
I bought it for a modest price, in perfect condition! Registration f3.5 (version white printing letters)
I was surprised by the quality of pictures! I was expecting a picture of average quality,
nice surprise! Wink
I feel that it is a HANIMEX, also I have seen pictures of it, it is identical!
because I did not find much about this lens
I set up soon a blog dedicated to photography, for example pictures.
I hope I make myself clear, I'm French as I'm lazy, it makes me work in English!
I can answer, respond in French to Francophone mp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vador111 wrote:
Hello Smile
I bought it for a modest price, in perfect condition! Registration f3.5 (version white printing letters)
I was surprised by the quality of pictures! I was expecting a picture of average quality,
nice surprise! Wink
I feel that it is a HANIMEX, also I have seen pictures of it, it is identical!
because I did not find much about this lens
I set up soon a blog dedicated to photography, for example pictures.
I hope I make myself clear, I'm French as I'm lazy, it makes me work in English!
I can answer, respond in French to Francophone mp
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure who made the lens as there's not much info on the net about it.

Also, Hanimex was also just an importer, they didn't make anything AFAIK.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures. The swan if very good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hanimex was just an Australian import business, the name standing for Hannes Import Export.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure who made the lens as there's not much info on the net about it.
Also, Hanimex was also just an importer, they didn't make anything AFAIK.

Hello, thank you for your hospitality and information
but of course you are right! I think it was an Australian importer!
(I hear the picture for 3 months) CHINON Was a manufacturer? I read that manufactured the cameras, he made for others! so the 200mm is really original Chinon (?) and have manufactured for Hanimex!(?)

nota : well here we speak of the model with leather grip? because there is another model with auto-chinon inscriptions in yellow, with a different grip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks an interesting 200mm lens and will keep my eyes open for a bargain as I haven't (so far) found a cheap 200mm prime that is better than my Kiron zoom..... for resolution and pop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Looks an interesting 200mm lens and will keep my eyes open for a bargain as I haven't (so far) found a cheap 200mm prime that is better than my Kiron zoom..... for resolution and pop.

which model the Kiron please? Smile (Zoom in, I have the excellent pentax smc-m 75/150, I love it!)
You also have the good Pentacon 200mm f4 Meyer Orestegor preset,
it is a piece of artillery, the MC I do not know, I did not
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_orestegor200.html
and it seems that the JUPITER 21 is excellent!
http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/lenses/index.htm
However, I would like to have, test the Pentax SMC M 200 F4, already for its convenience, compact, I have some SMC-M which I appreciate the nice build quality, easy to use, the dive (on my Pentax K10D)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 200mm lenses are listed below in oder of rank, best 1st:

Pentacon preset
Jupiter 21M
Chinon

There's very little between the top 2, but I have a very good copy of the Pentacon. The Chinon is a match at F8 and close at 5.6; it's much lighter and cheaper than the others.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Pentacon preset
Jupiter 21M
Chinon

There's very little between the top 2, but I have a very good copy of the Pentacon. The Chinon is a match at F8 and close at 5.6; it's much lighter and cheaper than the others.

Those are the only three you have? The Pentacon is essentially the Orestor, right? It just occurred to me that a ranking like that is more meaningful when one knows what lenses rank below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vador111 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

which model the Kiron please? Smile

Kiron 80-200 f4 (non zoomlock)...at 200mm I've compared it with fujinon 200mm f4.5 and Canon 200mm f4 (ordinary one) and the primes haven't beaten it. If you get a good copy for £4 like me you will be very pleased.

Kiron zoom 80-200mm f4 non zoomlock

A small enlargement

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily i have this lens attached to a fujica st801 in my drawer at work and have never used it as it has a sticky aperture, i can see me working this lens at the weekend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice that this zombie thread has been brought back to life, but I think you should really start another thread if you want to talk about Kirons, Komines or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It's nice that this zombie thread has been brought back to life, but I think you should really start another thread if you want to talk about Kirons, Komines or whatever.

...and this post below should be deleted Laughing

Pentacon preset
Jupiter 21M
Chinon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow lettering? The Chinon f3.5-200mm (shown on the right) I have has orange lettering highlighting the "Auto Chinon" text, while the remaining text is white. (see estudleon's post further back in the list). Are there different colours used in this model? Or does it fade with extended use? It is a nice lens to use and attached to a Praktica, has a nice ergonomic balance and feel, it's optical ability is very good too, but have nothing to show at the mo'. The Promura 75-210 zoom shown here on the left, is kept with the Chinon, adding a little backup should 200mm be too long! It is a brand name I haven't heard of before, but it's okay in use and is off topic?!!

Nice tele, pin sharp!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, This is my copy, mint and i find it just beautifull with its silver linings :

f/3.5

f/5.6

100% crops
f/3.5

f/5.6

Will make some live shots today...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open samples from Auto Chinon 200 / 3.5 (no MultiCoated) with the Kodak DCS Pro 14n Camera. Earlier, I mistook the name of the lens and put the samples in the Vivitar 200 / 3.5 topic. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="siudym"]Wide open samples from Auto Chinon 200 / 3.5 (no MultiCoated) with the Kodak DCS Pro 14n Camera. Earlier, I mistook the name of the lens and put the samples in the Vivitar 200 / 3.5 topic. Smile

/quote]

I had one of these, and I liked it - it was a damn good lens. But it wasn't my best M42 200mm lens so I would take it to the camera fairs and put it on the table for sale. I did this for a couple of years. and people didn't even pick it up and look at it, I was only asking £25 for it. Then, at the last fair someone came along and without hesitation bought it, he'd been looking for one for ages and was as pleased as Punch.

Maybe I should have kept it? I'm not a great fan of the shorter Chinon's, but the long ones have always impressed me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this one up basically for free, because it was in a lot I bought for two other lenses. I think it is pretty decent as far as 200mm lenses go.

Scruffy by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I picked this one up basically for free, because it was in a lot I bought for two other lenses. I think it is pretty decent as far as 200mm lenses go.

Yes, it's good and still overlooked.